B8 S4 likes a lot of oil

Risky

The car is a 10 Avant and needed over a litre of oil top-up before it's last service and oil change which was in August, I think. Last week it asked for another litre top up (which I haven't yet as I have 502.00 oild and it now needs 504.00) but after nagging us for a couple of days the warning went off again.

Two questions: Is it nomal for it to be so thirsty? - it's isn't driven hard very much as my wife generally has the kids in the back. Or is there something likely to be wrong with the sensor?

Nah thats normal, just keep an eye on it. I keep half a litre in the car, much easier to pour a half empty bottle into the filler cap. I look 1.5 litres to Le Mans last year and used a litre of that. On average, mine uses half litre every 500 miles (B6 S4 V8)

Or is there something likely to be wrong with the sensor?

I doubt it - my B7 RS4 took at least two litres of top up oil before the first service - it may even have been three litres. I think your will find your oil usage to be fairly normal but you can always Post on the RS.246 Forum and see what feedback you get there too. +++

• 2 months later...

The B8 3.0 TFSI can drink 0.5 litres every 1000km according to the owners manual, which is only approx 620 miles. So 1 litre every 1250 miles or so would be regarded normal.

Personally mine has used a full litre in 1600 miles.

I will only do around 6k miles a year and like to exercise the performance when practical, so I am on 10k mile or annual oil services. At this rate I am still looking at nearly 4 litres of top up between oil changes!

It is a little alien to me as my 14 year old 2.7 V6 bi-turbo never required a top up between services in 6 years!