Florida - Orlanda - Disney. Need to Plan

Waylander

Having rashly promised Miss Waylander that if she passes any of her Grammar School exams we would be going to DisneyLand Florida - well first result in today and she passed +++

Hoping to go for 2 weeks at Easter to Florida and squeeze in an internal trip across to Vegas for 2-3 days for Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

I would really liked to have flown BA or Virgin or BA is about twice cost of America Airlines which comes out at ~£400 and Virgin is nearly £1k which considering we are moving house as well imminently is too rich for my blood.

SO tips would be appreciated to be able to plan a kick-ass trip but might need to cut a few corners (eg depending on costs might get a Villa instead of staying at Disney Hotels etc)

Comments/tips/advice appreciated.

Thanks+++

A friend of mine owns this place www.windsorhillsluxuryvilla.com it is a lovely villa and comes with everything it's pretty high end but might be bigger than you need.

The big advantage of there or that resort is how close it is to the parks. Others are often a bit cheaper but you spend hours travelling all day, this one it's easy to get in a side entrance in a few minutes. They often go in the morning to the parks come back for lunch and a swim and then go back again later.

Hire car a must and they join loyalty schemes to get things cheaper in the long run.

Edited by CarMad

Many thanks I will look into both.

I have been to Bonita Springs a couple of times so know about it - it is lovely!

I figured the little jaunt to Nevada at the end of Orlando might serve as the relaxing bit? Mind you the kids want to go on an airboat and see 'gators like I did on my last "conference" trip last year!

I had set aside ~£5k for this but I am getting the sinking feeling I will need to look behind sofas for a little more......!

America Airlines

There's reason why AA is so cheap, they're the RyanAir of the cross-atlantic route, plus they've been under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for almost a year. More than 1,000 AA flights have been canceled and 12,000 delayed in the past month alone (due to lack of pilots, lose seats and bits falling off) plus they have one of the oldest fleets in the business. I hope they're still in business when you plan to fly.

A villa and is car is the best way to do florida - drive down to Daytona, across to Clearwater - there's so much more to do and see without the mega bucks of theme parks. One week car hire with Hertz will only set you back £150 for a family car +++

lol I was just coming online to say the same and thank you for it.

It is a wealth of info and extremely helpful - as is that link Andy.

Thank you both very much.

To really bring it home that this is the reward for her hard work I will take kids to travel agents on weekend to go brochure shopping and get an idea of package prices.

S_K who did you you book the villa from please? (Carmad yours is fantastic but a little too rich for my blood sadly)

I booked through Thomas Cook or Tui, but I was working for them so it changes the game a little in terms of pricing.

They both used same company in Florida so I'll do a google tomorrow and see if I can find their office on street map as I remember roughly where it was and what it looked like!!!!

I didn't realise quite how many Theme Parks there were!

I figured we would want to see:

Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

EPCOT

Disney MGM

Universal Studios

Harry Potter World

SeaWorld

What have I missed?

Disney currently doing 14 day pass for price of 7 so that takes care of that I guess (although have to book within a month)....

Having rashly promised Miss Waylander that if she passes any of her Grammar School exams we would be going to DisneyLand Florida - well first result in today and she passed +++

Congrats on the pass, nice one.

We promised Little Miss P a mobile phone... cheapskates, obviously :roflmao:

No, I meant the normal studio park and the Islands of Adventure park. Each is a park in it's own right. Harry Potter Park wasn't around the last time I was there in 2004

Whizzarding World of Harry Potter is at Islands of Adventure - I went last year in a free day I had on a biz trip! Do get on the Hulk ride :roflamo:

The original universtal studios (film lot) park is still pretty good so long as things are working... (revenge of the mummy ride was great!)

Few years since I went, but agree on the Hulk ride, was great.

The area in between Islands and Universal was excellent in the evenings too, loads going on.

We stayed in a hotel about 2 mins walk from Universal, can't remember the name but it we called it the 'twin towers' because predictably, it was two towers vaguely resembling a much much shorter version of the New York ones,

Was near an 'Ale House' that did amazing onion rings and ranch dip.

Edited by Tipex

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty annoying I have had to hold off booking flights until at least next week for siblings to decide what they want to do and in the meantime have gone up by ~£100pp

We are sold on the idea of a villa rather than resort hotel mainly to be able to chill in a private pool in the afternoons and evenings...although again haven't started looking in earnest until I know if I need a 3/4/5 bed one!

Kids came back travel agents with an arm full of brochures so are well into this now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...