58 plate MK5 Golf TDI interval service - long life oil?

thelorry

Hello,

I bought a MK5 Golf Match 1.9 TDI 58 plate November 2011 and so far, very happy with this buy. When I bought it, it had 32k on the clock and has been used daily for travelling to and from work up and down the motorway ,about 60 miles a day. I got its interval service at around 37K and it currently now has about 47k on the clock, the problem I'm having, is that the engineer sound really noisy, considering its age and current mileage? The last diesel I had, was a 2001 bora, had 173K on the clock before i traded it in last year, but never noticed the engine as being as noisy as what I'm currently hearing. This has got me to think that the independent garage i use has not used the long life oil it advises to use when it had its interval service. The service interval is 20k, so I've got another 10k to go before its due its service? I take it easy on the motorway, so I'm not battering it up and down the motorway,mainly doing about 60-70mph max. I'm thinking that they have just used bog standard Oil when the service was carried out, so its going to need to go back in for an oil change. Does this sound right??

Id be very surprised if an independent got it wrong. The VW 1.9tdi engine is quite noisy, even for a diesel. Check with the garage that last serviced it and see what they say. What's the mileage/time allowed for the cambelt change on that engine?

I never ran my 1.9 TDi Skoda on the long life oil, it just got whatever the cheapest oil of the correct viscosity was, and I never paid any attention to the VW spec bit.

It did 200k without any engine or turbo problems whatsoever, so I very much doubt you have any kind issue with the type of oil, unless it is simply not the correct viscosity.