Formula 1 Grande Prêmio Petrobras do Brasil 2012

Andy_Bangle

Formula One takes its championship duel between Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso to the season-ending race in Sao Paulo this week after those two finished second and third Sunday at the US Grand Prix. If Vettel wins another world championship, he'll join Michael Schumacher and Juan Manuel Fangio as the only drivers to win three in a row.

On paper, it is hard to see how Vettel can lose. But Brazil is known for its unpredictable weather and if this season has proved anything it is that nothing can be taken for granted +++

F1_big_Interlagos.gif

post-2214-137914489546_thumb.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper, it is hard to see how Vettel can lose. But Brazil is known for its unpredictable weather and if this season has proved anything it is that nothing can be taken for granted +++

I for one would not like to be the chap at Renault who's responsible for the RedBull alternators.... :ffs:

So do you put SV on par with Schumi and Fangio? Or is F1 more about the car and designer than the driver. He could easily make it 4 in a row with Hamilton out of the running next year. I'm not sure if he's that good. Newey is in my eyes the genius. His cars are unbelievable. I'd love to see Mercedes, Williams, Renault all get nearer to them in 2013.

I think there is always an element of car and drive in every race, I'd argue that the cars have become a little harder recently than some of the active cars of the 90s. SV doesn't seem to be highly rated but the comes a point when you have to say he is very fast over a lap and race and his team mate is a fast drive that he consistently is able to beat on a level playing field.

Anyone else watching the Classic F1 Brazil races? I'm watching on Freeview 301, but not sure what that might be on Sky. I think it might be red button on BBC. So far watched highlights of:

'89 when Mansell won his first race out in the Fezza,

'93 when Senna beat Damon Hill with the variable weather

and now '82 with Pique vs Rosberg. Dad Fight!

Wish I'd known these were on if they've been doing it every race weekend.

Anyone else watching the Classic F1 Brazil races? I'm watching on Freeview 301, but not sure what that might be on Sky. I think it might be red button on BBC. So far watched highlights of:

'89 when Mansell won his first race out in the Fezza,

'93 when Senna beat Damon Hill with the variable weather

and now '82 with Pique vs Rosberg. Dad Fight!

Wish I'd known these were on if they've been doing it every race weekend.

They have being doing the classic races on the red button for the last couple of years

I caught the end of the '93 one yesterday before the 2nd practice +++

Predictions are it's going to be a wet race tomorrow

Edited by Cuprabob

I can see Vettel getting clipped by a Massa!

I think that would result in a lifetime ban for Massa, but then again would it matter as he'll only have one more year anyway and a massive cheque from Ferrari. It would be funny if by some weird circumstance of fate if it was Mark that took him out :eek:

I want to see a goo clean race.

My prediction;

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Button

Maldonado gets penalty. Alonso up to P7 and clean side of track :rolleyes:

With Massa just after Vettel, Alonso further back, do you reckon Massa will "help" Alonso by "accidentally" taking out Vettel? Will we see another Crashgate scandal?

I wonder what the FIA would do.. Can't exclude Alonso based on what Massa does.. unless they had proof that it wasn't just Massa's decision, but I wonder if the FIA would really go after Ferrari like that.

On Sky they asked Stefano Domenicali if they were going to repeat what they did in Austin and Stefano replied a flat "No". I guess we'll see, though.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

In the interviews Massa was giving any hint about helping Alonso, It was all about "my home race" and "my people". But we all know he will help Alonso when he's told to.

Ferrari are more devious than that, they will promise one of the back markers s future at Ferrari if they take Vettel out as he laps them. Even with Vettel out Alonso needs to be at the sharp end I don't see a McLaren letting him by.

Frankly I find all this caricaturing of Ferrari as some kind of despicably evil wacky races team just a little bit tiresome.

I'll be amazed if there are any deliberate attempts to "take a car out"; if there are it's just as likely to be Webber or a Torro Rosso on Alonso. Yes, STR use Ferrari engines, but their stronger allegiance is as Red Bull's junior team.

Ferrari know something has to happen for Alonso to win. Thus, the gamble on a wet set up is a no brainer. It may have harmed his grid position (but not by much looking at recent quali performances), but if it's a wet race it might just give him the advantage he needs. If it doesn't rain, the WDC would almost certainly have been Vettel's anyway.

Edited by garcon