Car battery problem - we think!

marymary

Hopefully someone will be able to help. We own a 2001 Mini Cooper which we have had from new. For the past six months or so we've had a problem with the car not starting in the morning - makes no difference if the weather is cold or hot (car is kept in garage overnight). When you turn the key it just makes a clicking sound. If you connect the battery to the chargor the car starts within less than a minute. We have also taken the battery out, fully charged it overnight and put it back. Within a day or so the same thing happens again. The car was serviced last week and the garage said the battery was fine and couldn't find a fault with it. Probably doesn't help that we do short journeys of less than 10 miles on a daily basis but wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

One other thing (totally unrelated) is that intermittently the driver window refuses to open!!

Thanks all.

If it's the original battery from 2001 then i'd say replace it anyway, i'd bet it solves your starting problems, but if not it's one thing to eliminate.

It sounds like the battery isn't holding it's charge anyway, probably ok for a few hours while it was in the garage, but drops over night, did they do a proper drop test on it? Or just 'it started ok for us so it must be fine'?

If the battery was fully charged when it went to the garage then they would have only carried a volt check, I reckon they didn't test to see if it was being drained. Amazed the battery has lasted so long, 12 years is a long time in car battery years. The battery in my Cooper S is 7 years old and i'm thinking of replacing just to be on the safe side.

Window problems are fairly common as there's a design fault them, see HERE for some fixes.