C63 Black series AMG on M23 today.

fizzbitt

Looked stunning and not that OTT in person. He looked like he was hoofing it onto the M23 off the slip road so let him ahead of me in the 3rd lane so i could admire it for a few miles.

Was identicle to this one in white.

Mercedes C63 AMG Black Series For Sale (2012) on Car And Classic UK [C341257]

Quite surprised by the price over the 'standard' AMG.

Got a crappy pic which i will post up later.

CF953FEC-7FB0-4E97-ACB5-C40F70BC371C-2258-000000F0DD0A2EF9.jpg

Edited by fizzbitt

Performance you can't use on the road. Too expensive to risk on track days. Look like a bodykitted version of what sales reps drive.

Can't see the point, at all.

Even if you want to get all anoraky over the capabilities - I'm not convinced that £106k couldn't buy you more performance in a much more exotic package.

How is that relevant to this?

Performance you can't use on the road. Too expensive to risk on track days.

:confused:

I get you don't like them, and would put your money elsewhere (I would too), but to pretend they're just body-kitted reps cars is wrong. They're not, they're very very different cars.

I assume then at the 50-60k price point you wouldn't consider a normal M3 or C63 then, based on the same argument...or?

Under 4s to 60, 190Mph ish top end, 23Mpg combined (apparently...), I can see a lot of reasons to go for something like that at the 100k price point. A DB9 is 25k more expensive, slower, uses more fuel, doesn't handle as well, and has a far higher CO2 output figure by way of example.

Edited by Mac

They may be mechanically different - but you have to be a complete anorak to know that - and what's the point in spending £106k on something that looks like a C200D with a Project Khan kit stuck on it?

I can almost get the 'normal' M3 or C63, as they're not completely removed from reality on pricing.

It's not as either are homologation specials, either - they're not even closely enough related to the race cars to give them some kind of pedigree. Just really don't get the whole concept of spending that much on something that essentially starts off as a common as muck C-class.

I mean, you're talking about 911 Turbo money here - surely only a complete tool would spend 911 Turbo cash on a tarted up C-class?

Depends what you're after really doesn't it? If image is important to you (I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing by the way) then maybe you'd choose the Porsche.

I mean, you're talking about 911 Turbo money here - surely only a complete tool would spend 911 Turbo cash on a tarted up C-class?

The 991 Turbo will be 130K+ so the GTS/AMG Black are some 20%+ cheaper? Turbo S will be 150k ish.

Unless of course you start comparing second hand to new, and I don't think that's a fair comparison.

What else could you have for 100k that's around this performance level then? I guess you'd go for more exotic - I probably would. Not sure what though. At 100k your choices aren't as massive as you'd imagine (new I mean). Rules out all of the Aston Martins, and you'd be consigned to the 'cheaper' 991 911s?

Personally I'd buy the non-GTS/Black M3/C63 and pocket the change :grin:

Edited by Mac

I agree with both of you. :grin:

The AMG Black cars are incredible pieces of engineering and worth the asking price, when considered on their engineering.

As purchases, though, they won't appeal to the badge snobs, and those looking for £106k performance will find other more tempting purchases.

So I'm impressed and delighted that Mercedes were able to make it, just of the opinion that they shouldn't have bothered.

Mac - I just looked at What Car? for the 911 prices - they had the 3.8 Turbo at £110k and a 3.8 GT3 RS at £109k.

Which then adds a further question - a GT3 RS would be largely considered to be 'comparable' as a full-on track spec. car for the road... so I know exactly where my cash would go, if I had it!

The AMG Black cars are incredible pieces of engineering and worth the asking price, when considered on their engineering.

Agree with that +++ They'll be for people that appreciate the engineering, drive and performance and couldn't care less about the badge.

There's another consideration to these things too - I'm in a BMW and not a Porker or something fancier because of the situation at work. I don't want to driving around in what are obvious to even non-petrolheads are 'special' cars; not right now anyways.

Performance you can't use on the road. Too expensive to risk on track days. Look like a bodykitted version of what sales reps drive.

Can't see the point, at all.

Performance "who" can't use on the road? Too expensive for "who" to use on a track day? I think you'll find the average Black Series owner has one as part of a collection of much more expensive metal - in fact it makes an ideal track slag! Everything is relative...

As for the price, as mac points out its M3GTS money for a car that shares a lot of tech with the SLS AMG which starts at £180k - you could argue it looks like a kitted C200d but so what? All the Merc black series cars are incredibly aggressive machines that have come from "lesser" models... I wouldn't turn down an Audi DTM race car because its recognisable as an A4 silhouette!

Mac - I just looked at What Car? for the 911 prices - they had the 3.8 Turbo at £110k and a 3.8 GT3 RS at £109k.

Which then adds a further question - a GT3 RS would be largely considered to be 'comparable' as a full-on track spec. car for the road... so I know exactly where my cash would go, if I had it!

A gt3 rs is is nothing like this c class. The c class is much more akin to a hard edged m3. The only downfalls are 1) the price and 2) a torque converter box. The guys I have spoken to with them, lve them. Trouble is there are so few about no one really knows or understands. I haven't driven one but have seen one and can tell you they easily look 100k.

Personally I love these cars and will be watching the prices over the next few years. I'd love one in black with rear seats to replace the m3 at some stage. Just look at the prices of the last gen clk black, they hold up very well and have a real cult following of owners. Very few come up for sale because owners keep them.

Edited by Woppum

Wouldn't read too much into it... not many Alfa 75s come up for sale for the same reason...

They've explodicated or melted?

Bit odd us having a reasonable discussion about cars on a car forum. I mean nobody has called anyone a cock or anything, or implied that 'The Internet' says they're wrong/right/a toblerone (delete according to whether you're Tipex).

So, I'll get us back to normality - Bazza you cock :P

That's part of the problem - and the same applies to the M3 GTS. They look far too closely related to bog standard cars for my liking - and if you look on eBay, there's already an aftermarket in black series style kits for the current shape C-class.

Looking at the interior shots, again, it just doesn't look special enough for the cash - it looks, to me, like any other decent spec. C-class.

Doesn't help that I really don't like the C-Class anyway - they just didn't seem to deliver the quality expected of something costing £6k more than the Passat I was driving at the time.

But ultimately it still comes down to there being much more 'exotic' choices for your £110k.