So what are your 2013 car plans then?

CarMad

So as 2012 draws to a close we have had people move from Audi to BMW's that never really liked them before.

People with hyper GTRs, go to pipe and slippers Mercs :P, people with rock hard firm suspension and a car that they hate not changing to anything new. And all of those that didn't even change cars.

But what is 2013 going to bring, the year you can choose another plate if you want to:rolleyes:. So come on people who is looking to change in 2013 and what to and what? Oh and what do we think the hit of 2013 is going to be then?!?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling to choose. As I think I mentioned else-where, because of my mileage I tend to buy cars that are below average, keep them for a year, and then sell when they're roughly about back to average.

The problem is - on my second M3 - I just can't think of another car at the budget that offers as many smiles per pound. What's more, the car I've currently got is setup exactly how I want it now, and has been brilliant. So why swap from a car with known history, with great performance, and still puts a smile on my face....to something unknown.

It's a tough call.

I really don't know at this point.

What about you?

Me, I think it will be a fallow year for me in car terms. Other half will be dropping a sprog in a few months time if not sooner and will be off work for 6-9months so I will be the bread winner.

I fancy the new Lexus GS, I like the service that Lexus provide and the car ticks all of the boxes that I'm looking for. My Audi has left me cold, it does everything fairly well but nothing brilliantly and for the first time buying a car with my head and not my heart just hasn't worked for me. I've even thought about cashing in a few investments to get a track day toy but I think I will have my handsful in the short term and just wouldn't get the best out of it.

I can see your dilemma, the M3 is as good as it gets in that class the M1 was short lived, maybe when the coupe M1 comes out you can look at that?!?

Please don't get a Lexus GS - I had a GS350 as a courtesy car for 5 days in October.

Lots of nice toys and gadgets and sounded nice when pressing on . . . BUT . . .

The handling was truly abysmal, even when the dash turned red in Sport mode it couldn't distract from the fact it cornered with the finesse of a hovercraft. The fuel economy was woeful as well - after getting through quarter of a tank of fuel by mid-afternoon on the first day I spent the next two with it in Eco mode and driving gingerly seeing how high I could get the average fuel economy after resetting it - 24.6!

It was an expensive car to buy for what it was and when you compared it with the de facto alternative of a 5 series then you'd have to be an absolute flange to choose the Lexus (unless you're very flatulent - those air conditioned seats were a godsend the day after a vindaloo) ;)

Please don't get a Lexus GS - I had a GS350 as a courtesy car for 5 days in October.

Lots of nice toys and gadgets and sounded nice when pressing on . . . BUT . . .

The handling was truly abysmal, even when the dash turned red in Sport mode it couldn't distract from the fact it cornered with the finesse of a hovercraft. The fuel economy was woeful as well - after getting through quarter of a tank of fuel by mid-afternoon on the first day I spent the next two with it in Eco mode and driving gingerly seeing how high I could get the average fuel economy after resetting it - 24.6!

It was an expensive car to buy for what it was and when you compared it with the de facto alternative of a 5 series then you'd have to be an absolute flange to choose the Lexus (unless you're very flatulent - those air conditioned seats were a godsend the day after a vindaloo) ;)

I don't follow the crowd, never have never will. I think you might mean the GS250 as we don't get the 350 over here. Also the F-Sport version has the new funky magnetic dampers and got a good write up in some respected motoring press but I will test drive regardless.

Plus as you mention to get a 5 series even close on spec makes them look eye wateringly expensive and I don't need a diesel. I do sub 10k a year easily so a good sounding, well equipped and very well made car could suit me down to the ground. And I'm fed up of a car that rides so badly I can tell the depth of a pothole down to the mm before I even hit it.

Mind you in saying all that a 3 series GT might get a look in as well, but I doubt I will change in 2013 but who knows.

Well the RS3 with the correct spec has finally turned up and is in the compound,after all the b0ll0x I have had actually getting a car (Ordered November 2010??) cannot raise even a modicum of interest or excitement about the car

So I am thinking what the hell, considering passing on the RS3 and getting a second hand R8, V8 is fine for my needs will get looking next week for whats about.

Not fussed about age, as long as it is a manual with not to many clicks on the clock.

I'm struggling to choose. As I think I mentioned else-where, because of my mileage I tend to buy cars that are below average, keep them for a year, and then sell when they're roughly about back to average.

The problem is - on my second M3 - I just can't think of another car at the budget that offers as many smiles per pound. What's more, the car I've currently got is setup exactly how I want it now, and has been brilliant. So why swap from a car with known history, with great performance, and still puts a smile on my face....to something unknown.

It's a tough call.

I really don't know at this point.

What about you?

Why change? It can't be for financial reasons as buying low mileage and selling at average every year can't be that cost effective can it? If it's coz you fancy a change then fair enough but it appears you don't.

It's not compulsory to change ;)

I'm not changing cars this year. Our is three years old but still like new with only 15k on it

It works out relatively neutral if you consider I don't pay for fuel at all. I end up standing pretty much one service, insurance, and a single years tax + depreciation, and a set of tyres - that's not too shabby to own a 4L V8 over 20k+ miles I don't think? There's a balance between financial and personal want to change. If you look at M3 prices for above average mileage their resale seems to suffer. Also, warranty for about 60k miles M3 seem to go up about 60% - so that affects the resale too.

If I keep this one for another year it'll be over that magical 60k barrier, not to mention the new M3/4 being due out toward the end of next year..?

Dunno. Quite happy with what I have but if the opportunity occurs to change to something as much fun - I'm in +++ Quite like the idea of an E93/DCT I guess!

Edited by Mac

Well the RS3 with the correct spec has finally turned up and is in the compound,after all the b0ll0x I have had actually getting a car (Ordered November 2010??) cannot raise even a modicum of interest or excitement about the car

So I am thinking what the hell, considering passing on the RS3 and getting a second hand R8, V8 is fine for my needs will get looking next week for whats about.

Not fussed about age, as long as it is a manual with not to many clicks on the clock.

Haven't bothered looking but what sort of money are early V8 R8s? I tend to agree that the straightforward V8 manual is the pick of the bunch in terms of cost/return and ability. Personally, looking at that sort of car I'd always end up at a Porsche dealer, but I can't deny the R8 is a very desirable car. 911 practicality with super car looks. +++

CarMad - if you look at a Lexus GS, I'd also suggest looking at an Infiniti M Hybrid. +++

Mac - M3 CRT. You know you want it. :grin:

I might have a look at the Infinity range they are fairly pricey new though.

I believe Lexus are going to launch a IS300h and a GS300h in the new year, the IS as a complete new model. Its due to have total power around 240bhp and a fair bit or torque and be sub 100g Co2 so economy, performance and gadgets box all get ticked so I might wait for those anyway.

Haven't bothered looking but what sort of money are early V8 R8s? I tend to agree that the straightforward V8 manual is the pick of the bunch in terms of cost/return and ability. Personally, looking at that sort of car I'd always end up at a Porsche dealer, but I can't deny the R8 is a very desirable car. 911 practicality with super car looks. +++:

Probably looking at £40-45K, so pretty much in line with what the RS3 would cost.

I appreciate your point about Porsche, but having had a 3.4S Coxster and a Carrera 2, cant really say I would go back down that route, as TBH they just are not my bag, having owned a couple, admittedly not GT2-3 stuff, but driven those and again not really what I am looking for these days

Was looking at the M3 500 LE the other day, and have to say looks great in white, but a bit too in yer face for me, I think a black R8 is a pretty subtle looking car with just enough performance and the all important 4WD which ticks all the boxes at a reasonable price

Nothing exciting on the car front for 2013. Had my name down for an A45 AMG but have since decided against it - for 2013 at least. Possibly a Kia Sportage or XC90 for the wife and I have a very special new motorbike which is currently scheduled for a June delivery. :D