Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stooH

How to get rid of a sh!t heap of a car?

15 posts in this topic

I think i've finally killed the Freelander, I say killed, it's more like a 3 legged dog.

Something's gone pop in the mechanicals and it's a bit juddery and making some nasty noises. I suspect that something that connects the front wheels to the back has gone, the Intermediate Reduction Drive/Viscous Coupling/Drive Shaft/Rear Differential i'm not at all mechanically minded so there's no point me having a look at it and I just want to get rid. I could scrap it but i'd get tuppence for it and the engine runs fine, gearbox is ok etc. I don't fancy forking out the grand or so it's likely to cost to get fixed (seems to be about the price to fix one of the oily bits).

It's got an MOT until October and i'm sure someone who likes getting their hands greasy could do the work and have a running car again so any suggestions on the best way of getting rid of it and getting an 'ok' price? I know that the cheapest ones on Autotrader go for over a grand and i'd happily take £500 or so but know it's going to be hassle and never really bothered selling a car before as usually trade in.

Suppose a good starting point would be to take it to a garage to at least confirm what's wrong but that'll end up costing me cash. :rolleyes:

Post your problem up on: Freel2.com - Index you'll get an answer PDQ. Once you've narrowed down the issue, stick it on ebay "Sold as Seen" and let everyone flight over it, even knackered ones are in demand +++

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Cheers for that Andy, i'll have a poke around on there and see if I can narrow it down.

Something's gone pop in the mechanicals and it's a bit juddery and making some nasty noises. I suspect that something that connects the front wheels to the back has gone

:grin: Great description mate, sounds like something I'd come up with! Is Ritey still living down your way, you could ask him to take a look at it as I seem to remember he's a dab hand when it comes to Landy stuff +++

That's a good shout, I've even met him once at the only meet I ever got to, if I recall though he plays with proper Landy stuff not the toy stuff. Not seen him on here for ages though?

I thought my description was quite good, you wouldn't get much more out of driving it because it's juddery and makes some nasty noises :grin:

Stick it on Ebay with a description of the fault, some one will buy it, and more than likely someone will message you telling you what's wrong with it too!

That's a good shout, I've even met him once at the only meet I ever got to, if I recall though he plays with proper Landy stuff not the toy stuff. Not seen him on here for ages though?

I thought my description was quite good, you wouldn't get much more out of driving it because it's juddery and makes some nasty noises :grin:

I've just sent him a Tweet, hopefully should be along soon +++

And poof he appears :P

You'd be right in that I've only experienced Series III beasts but from your agricultural description :grin: you've probably hit the pricing on the head for a fix. As others have said for "ease" I'd stick it on ebay and try and promote it best you can on landrover esq forums, alternatively give your local scrap vehicle company a call, I managed to get £200 for an old laguna which I killed (something engine related went very "bang", think seized water pump/head/piston issue but even so got a what I thought was a good price for it considering I doubt anyone would of bought it, being really old, v high mileage and non driveable.

Good luck +++

Cheers for that Ritey, already had someone offer me 250 scrap for it so that's a worse case, I just thing someone mechanically minded could pick it up and do a bit of work on it themselves and have a runner for another year or three. Guess i'll be giving it a clean and making it look a bit more presentable for a few photo's and whack it on ebay then.

Might give the local garage a call if I pay them for half an hour of time it shouldn't cost too much and at least I can find out if it's something very expensive (almost certainly) or not.

already had someone offer me 250 scrap for it so that's a worse case,

As it's got a ticket and drives, you'll easily get 500+ on ebay!

If it's the transfer box (common problem) then stick it on EBay with "professionally converted to more economical 2 wheeled drive", like half all the other knackered Freelanders for sale..

They're practically worthless mate, but good luck sorting it +++

I think i'd have to take out the transfer box and replace it with something else to 'professionally convert it' wouldn't I?

I might get around to sorting something out about it this week....