Less sexism, better insurance premium?

Calm Chris

I knew that the insurance on cars was always male loaded, and I'm also aware that recently the balance was readdressed- I think from the 1st January female insurance premiums went up.

Nice surprise when the annual renewal came through today, a drop of £190 down to £465 for the 120d fully comp. For on street, London that has made me happy.

+++

One thing I do know about my renewal in May is that I'll be thinking twice about not just going for the cheapest. Spent an extra £250 last year on a supposedly reputable company for the M3 and LCR only for them to ring me up a month later and charge me another £100 for some of the 'modifications' on the M3. Modifications like the 19 inch factory wheels and the upgraded speakers.

I had to do the insurance for our 3 cars at the start of January, the multicar premium from Admiral went up by about £100 to around £1k. So I went and had a look online for individual policies and got them all from 3 different places (all reputable names) for £650 with an additional £110 cash back so it was just shy of half of what I was originally quoted.

The Arosa and Freelander were slightly cheaper each, the biggest surprise was the 1 series, despite being a lower insurance rating that the GTI the insurance with Admiral went up by over £100 and was about £550! loads of places were offering it for sub £300, massive massive difference that the guy from Admiral couldn't explain.

I found Admiral very uncompetitive in our second year .... phoned round a few companies for quotes and halved the premiums for both cars.

Think they due again either next month or March so will be interesting to see what happens this time round, as have heard its gone up for us females !

Insurers are very inconsistent as to what a modification is but surely something fitted at the factory off the options list cannot be seen as a modification?

Exactly what I thought but the little feckers even went as far as saying the high gloss trim was a mod and upped the premium. This was Admiral in the second year of multicar - I'll not be using them again (unless of course they come up with a great deal).

When I was going through it all they were very specific in the wording that it was modification carried out after manufacture and not factory fitted options. Whether that includes dealer fitted mods before collection (not sure if there are many of those that happen these days) or not i'm not sure.

I've just had the paperwork through from the existing insure- Bell want £785, AXA want £450, Swinton and a host of others run in £460-£500.

I had though the mail via Confused was re insuring with Bell, how silly I was to think that!

Arent Bell, Admiral and Elephant all the same Cardiff based Co?

If any of you run your own company and can stick your cars on a mini-fleet policy, LV do a policy whereby each car on the fleet costs £500 plus a small brokerage fee (it is a broker only deal). That is £500 per car no matter what it is!!!! Only stipulation is that anything valued over £40k has to have a tracker and no driver can have more than six points at the policy inception (working from memory on the points).

If any of you run your own company and can stick your cars on a mini-fleet policy, LV do a policy whereby each car on the fleet costs £500 plus a small brokerage fee (it is a broker only deal). That is £500 per car no matter what it is!!!! Only stipulation is that anything valued over £40k has to have a tracker and no driver can have more than six points at the policy inception (working from memory on the points).

Oh I wish I had known about that a few weeks ago, sounds like our mini-fleet policy from Zurich is fleecing us!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Although you have 11 years NCD you will find the majority of insurance companies max out at 5 years, so anything more is irrelevant. Should the situation occur and hou lose 2 years NCD, they will take you back to 3 years not 9 years.

NCD and protected NCD is just a big con, IMO. All that matters is level of cover and final price.

Also your protected NCD doesn't help if you move insurance companies as you have to declare the claim anyway.

Some insurers add in DTM (when you pump in the reg number), but I don't understand that, because it isn't.

i don't really understand why last year the 120d was £650, she's insured that this week for £400 and having bought the Audi I was working on about £600 so I'm well chuffed. Excess is £200 / £200 and it includes business use.

I know the protected bit doesn't do much. Four years ago the BMW was bumped when parked £1500 of work and the premiums went up. They do suggest the protection allows for 3 claims in two years before loss of NCD, so they don't take away the NCD they just top up the premium!

Its a con, but...

As for no insurer giving more than 5 years NCD, well I'm not so sure. If I put in 5 years NCD on the quote the figures come out higher, so putting in 11 years, must add more discount because the quotes don't lie- or do they?

Edited by Chri5

£365 from AXA for protected ncd (11 years), 6 points on licence :eek:

Audi A4 S Line Special Edition Fsi T Quattro 2006 1984cc Five Door Estate Manual Petrol

That's good going, last year I paid £327 for it, no points, no claims (in 24 years of driving) and the car garaged at night +++

On a similar happy note, 2013 (13) S5 Black Edition Coupe, full NCB, protected NCB, Class 1 Business Use = £349 courtesy of esure.

Kerrrrching :crackpipe:

edit - that was with a £500 excess (£350 + £150) rather than the standard £600. Compulsory excesses are getting ridiculously high.

Edited by Milo

edit - that was with a £500 excess (£350 + £150) rather than the standard £600. Compulsory excesses are getting ridiculously high.

Think mine was only 250 and 150 of that was voluntary. A lot I was looking at were only 100 or 150 excess.

I had a quick peak at some likely premiums and it seems I'll get both cars insured for under £800. M3 is cheaper than the vaguely modifed LCR! Quite steep excess on the M3 though - all voluntary (about £1k - I reasoned that any claim under £1k I'd probably not claim for).