Battery Change

ronk

My battery has just died!

The new battery is being collected tomorrow and I' m going to change it.

Is there anything I should watch out for? I am a bit worried about the car loosing its marbles due to a disconnect! Also there is a foam rubber trunk in front of the battery, does this slide up and does it re locate after battery installation?

Thanks!

A4 3.0 Diesel Quattro

Edited by ronk
Missed some important info!

I'd be inclined to leave the current battery in place, even if it's really flat, overnight to stop alarms going off etc.

Also have your radio code handy as you might need it when the power goes back on.

Finally I am sure it's a case of attaching negative first and the positive when firing he new battery, but it'll probably come with a few instructions.

Other way round Dan!! Disconnect earth lead first, reconnect last.

It saves making a lot of sparks this way!!

I have seen in the info supplied with the car that the sat nav is PIN coded at first installation then after a power off and subsequent power on, the system looks for the code and if it identifies that the unit is fitted to the same vehicle it re initialises.

The reason behind takiing the -ve off first is to avoid sparks if the +ve is being removed and the spanner touches the grounded (-ve) parts of the vehicle.

I am going to get help lifting the batteries ! I had an op on my neck some years ago and dont want any more damage!

Update:-

The clamp had an allen socket (6mm) and the bolt is captive - remove and slid to the port side and remove the battery.

After conection the DSC indicator stayed on - drive 20 meters and it seems to re calibrate itself.

Both keys require linking - sitting in the car press unlock for a few seconds and the indicators flash.

As a footnote - Audi main dealer wanted to charge £120 for the battery and One hour @ £88 to fit (£250 total) It took two of us who have not fitted an battery int a audi before - so we didnt know what had to be remved - 30mins to fit and £80 for a Bosch battery!

I've done a shuffle with jump leads in the past so I didn't re-set all the electrics.

I believe you can get a little gadget that does that for you, but I've never bothered getting hold of one.

I suppose its not a job you have to do every day!