ongoing problem.

charley2402

My x reg polo's engine management light recently started to flash at me and my trusty polo started to loose power, have no go at all, shuddered along the road, became jerky as anything, kept stalling and wouldnt start first time!

So i took it to the garage where they plugged it into the diagnostic computer and it came back as a code for my spark plugs, so i got it sorted replaced all the spark plugs and he ran okay until the next day when the engine management light re appeared and once again the car has no power at all, isnt idling right, stalls about 2 or 3 times before he decides to go and is just jerky as hell on the road and seems reluctant to want to go at all!

However the computer isnt coming up with any codes thats wrong with it and its really starting to annoy me since all im hearing is 'it might be this' so i pay for it to get done and it turns out not to be it at all, and i cant afford to keep replacing something that is making no difference.

I also dont live any where near a VW garage so please dont say take it to one of them!

Help.. :(

My money would be on that one or more of the coilpacks are suspect. Surprised the garage didn't pick that up before replacing the spark plugs.

They are about £25 each and there are either 3 or 4 of them depending on which engine your Polo has.

These are the most common fault on VAG petrol cars so that's why I'm surprised the garage changed the plugs instead of these as they plug into the top of the plug.

My money would be on that one or more of the coilpacks are suspect. Surprised the garage didn't pick that up before replacing the spark plugs.

They are about £25 each and there are either 3 or 4 of them depending on which engine your Polo has.

These are the most common fault on VAG petrol cars so that's why I'm surprised the garage changed the plugs instead of these as they plug into the top of the plug.

its a 1.4 16v thats all i know about the engine! not really a 'i know alot about cars' kinda girl!

im assuming theyre the 4 wire things with the silver bits on the end they put on my spark plugs after replacing them? haha.

Would that have come up on the computer? with a code thing?

My polo did the same sorted it myself was the throttle body just needed cleaning out 10 min job!

Wish id seen this before! Took it to the garage and its been sat there for 4 days now.. and im also gettin charged for it just sitting there. I actually did get that mentioned to me before but being a typical lass i didnt pay attention and thought ah f*** it ill stick it to a garage.. Ill be listening from now on i think since it looks like im gonna be hit with a big bill!

Being a Scot, that will hurt (spending money).. :grin:

There is an argument that the garage being professional should find the shortest route to fix. So if they turn round and say, it's sorted it was the throttle body. Then it would seem unreasonable to charge you much more than a modest couple of hours plus parts.

As for a garage charging you for the car being parked in the workshop, maybe that's just a Scot thing :eek:

Being a Scot, that will hurt (spending money).. :grin:

There is an argument that the garage being professional should find the shortest route to fix. So if they turn round and say, it's sorted it was the throttle body. Then it would seem unreasonable to charge you much more than a modest couple of hours plus parts.

As for a garage charging you for the car being parked in the workshop, maybe that's just a Scot thing :eek:

Haha! Im actually English but it still hurts!

Well apparently it was something to do with my ignition cable or something? So hes put another one in and i have to run and see what its like and if it is just that and it fixes the problem hes ordering me a new one, so im just testing it out for him in a way! If it doesnt sort it i have to take it back and hell try and figure out what it is then.. What a load of bloody hassle!

Yeah i thought the same thing! Thought ya only got charged for labour and parts but apparently not..

Get the car back tomorrow and hopefully Pablo the Polo will be okay! If not.. well hes no gonna be in my good books anyway!