The TSN 2013 Fitness Thread

DanG

Bit of a bold title I know but...

Christmas and New year have both taken their toll on me, and whilst trying to be healthier in January the fitness and exercise has gone a little bit out of the window.

I guess this has a little bit to do with the weather - running around Richmond Park last week was more akin to ice skating - but it time to get going again properly.

So, I now have some waterproof / warm running kit (its raining and cold) and am off out on a tester run of about 4 miles - run, walk, run, walk etc.

Currently 12st 8lbs and would like to maintain that weight (maybe drop a couple) and simply increase fitness, bring down running times and build a little more muscle mass. I still cannot shift my gut either - which is annoying.

Mook, could you do some more of your 'lose 6lb' advice and others post how and what they are doing and what is working?

If nothing else, its a very small incentive to get out and go.

So it begins...

You say about putting on a few pounds of muscle mass and then talk about not being able to get rid of the gut.

Pick one and concentrate on that area. If you want to put on some muscle then you need to understand you will put on a little fat with it.

To build muscle you need 3 things. Train, rest and eat more calories.

To lose fat you need to be in a calorific deficit.

Do you see the problem with trying to do both at the same time.

Of course there are exceptions, if you are grossly overweight or have never trained before then in theory you could do both for a very short time. After a while the same rule will apply.

If it were me I would concentrate on losing the fat first because if your not happy with your gut now you won't be when you add a little more.

Work out what your maintainence calories are (how much you eat without gaining or losing weight) then do one of 3 things.

More exercise.

Eat 500 calories less than maintanence.

Or do both.

This is to lose weight, to build muscle ( with a little fat thrown in) do the opposite to the above.

These threads always start well then lose momentum. Just an idea but how about a transformation challenge. People sign up for an agreed time period and state goals, fat loss, muscle building etc.

pictures are taken at the start and end and then there is a vote for the winner. Winner being who has made the best improvement not who has the best body.

Just an idea.

Edited by billy2shots

Ah yes, I see the problem.

So, I am thinking, having been for a relatively relaxed run and coping pretty well, that I should do calorie deficit and exercise to start (one / two months) and then move to muscle gain after the gut has dropped off?

Really really enjoyed the run.

I used to look at people who went on about exercise being 'enjoyable' and think 'weirdo'. But now, having spent the past 6 months getting back to fitness 'for fun' as opposed to being forced to do it, I genuinely enjoy it.

One side effect is, strangely, additional energy for cerebral working. The other is not being one of the 'big dads' at the play centre and being able to run around with my son.

I will think on my targets.

I used to look at people who went on about exercise being 'enjoyable' and think 'weirdo'. But now, having spent the past 6 months getting back to fitness 'for fun' as opposed to being forced to do it, I genuinely enjoy it.

Ha ha, me too. Bl00dy wierdos running round and round the park on a Sunday morning. What are they thinking? :roflmao:

Try to get to the point where you're running that 4 miles non-stop, then you can start doing some fast/ slow bits and some interval sessions which will burn it off much better. Any chance to join a local running club? They can be a huge help.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the training seems to be working.

Having opted for the 'drop a few lbs of fat to start with method' I have managed to drop 3lbs in a couple of weeks, but more importantly have seen a difference in my waistline as suits and jeans are definitely getting bigger.

Basically been doing as follows:

Breakfast, either porridge or banana and yoghurt, berocca and a coffee with a splash of milk. Coffee is a big thing for me, i love it and have found this the hardest item to give up.

Lunch - Soup, no bread. lots of varieties out there not full of cream etc - Covent garden do a great range with low calories / fat but with part of the '5 a day'.

Supper - decent mix of (unprocessed) meat / fish and lots of mostly green veg with a reduction in carb intake. Usually followed by some cheese and oat cake biscuits to ensure calcium levels are still up (plus i love it!)

Occasional few chunks of Green and Blacks mid afternoon.

Really upped the water intake to at least a couple of litres a day - been suffering with bad skin recently and this seems to have helped.

Alcohol intake has fallen and I am trying not to drink anything in the week, and when I do its red wine and only a few glasses. Avoiding white.

Running a steady 3 mile loop every other day in 30 mins and finding a bit of time for gentle swimming.

Sleeping A LOT!

Feeling much better too!

Yes, I run outside when I've got the time. I do plenty of exercise outside (like every morning at 06:30 sprint canoeing on the Thames) so inside on a treadmill actually makes a nice change. I like to do a session a week so you can judge your pace and also look at all the fit female arses on the step machine in front of the runners ... +++

Last time I ran the London Marathon I did a session on the treadmill each week (as part of running 65 miles a week at the most intense) and again I liked the change. Music on, zone out, watch the "scenery" and constantly work out your pace per mile while setting little goals.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Mook might like this given his swimming. Did just over a mile in the pool this morning. Nothing unusual about that but towards the end a lithe fitty got into the pool - she looked rather serious. Blimey, she absolutely flew, banging out 20s 25m lengths on and on. Once I'd done my distance I had a crack at a couple of lengths keeping up with her ... I was glad I only did two! I could keep up alright but not for long. By the time I'd showered, changed and was walking out she was still doing lengths at that same speed.

• 4 weeks later...

I joined a club near Richmond which has gym, pool etc (and cricket and rugby training) - Pool is predominantly yummy mummies....I'd like to try some breast stroke, but suspect they'd ask me to leave.... (boom boom).

So now I am back in town, I have upped my exercise frequency to swimming nearly everyday - even if its only 20 mins, which still gets the heart pumping -and a gym session every other day for 45 mins. Rugby training is Thursday - a good social thing to do.

Also, I haven't had a drink for over a month too and now thinking of going 'Sober for October' for Macmillan.

http://www.gosober.org.uk/

Any other takers? A TSN Team?

• Like 1

Shock, horror .... I have joined a gym at the start of the month! Doing Body Combat twice a week plus yoga or pilates once a week, tried spin last week too.

Scales at home need batteries so not sure if I've lost any weight but really I'm going to strengthen my injured knee and the friggin whiplash injury.