Friday night / Saturday in LA - suggestions ?

theduisbergkid

I loathe LA, so escape...

Hire a car, drive Mulholland Drive as the sun goes down.

A lot of folk do that on Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Lots of car clubs have meets on Saturday up that way too. Lots of classic Porsche action these days with the R Gruppe boys too...

Lots of cops with sense of humour bypass, so take it easy.

I've got fab list, but I think you'll be to old for them :P

Firstly need to establish if you going to be in Santa Barbera, CA (90 miles from LA) or Santa Barbara, Irvine or another one?

How about a drive down to Tijuana :grin:

I'd suggest renting a cab and doing the

(Pacific Coast Highway) from Palos Verdes Estates to Malibu - about 44 miles But going there via the Mulholland Highway. You'll enjoy 'the snake', loads of twisty's.

If you're at Santa Barbera, CA (90 miles from LA) then there's a few wineries in the area +++

Too old ? I'm young enough to be Mook's bastard lovechild y'know. ;)

I'm looking at the Santa Barbera that's about 90 minutes up the coast from LAX, I'll be renting a cab-riolet anyway. The snake looks interesting, I like twisties, ta +++

Wineries might be nice, but I've yet to try any Californian wine that didn't taste like piss, plus I'm driving so will have to give that a miss.

I can't believe there's nowt else worth seeing or doing in a state that size, c'mon folks ! :(

Edited by theduisbergkid

Santa Barbera is very nice but you can go the other way down the coast to San Diego which is a place I have always loved. Not as pretty as Santa Barbera but has a really nice feel about it. Worth a trip over the huge suspension bridge to Coronado Island too - you can sit on the beach and have F15's fly feet above you as they land into the base there! Also go for a bite to eat at the Coronado Hotel. It is/was the largest wooden structure in the world and is where Some Like It Hot was filmed.

In LA itself I have always like killing time just walking from Santa Monica down to Marina Del Rey. You can stop for a burger in the Sidewalk Cafe and people watch for a while. I sat next to Eddie Jordan there once! By the time you get past Venice and up towards Marina Del Rey there is a pier - if you turn in land here (West Washington Blvd) there is a fantastic little local coffee shop called The Dun Cow which has a huge array of coffees/smoothies and Cuban cigars.

Really depends what you find interesting to do. I know lots of people don't like LA but it's a place I have always loved as there is such a huge mix of things to do there. Driving Mullholland is a great suggestion if you haven't done it before but it will be very busy at the weekend.

Also, take a drive up the coast to Malibu for breakfast on Saturday morning. There are a few little breakfast places right on the beach with decks out back so you can scoff your eggs benedict whilst catching the morning sun with the Pacific lapping under the deck. I can find the place on Google maps if you like. Or go for breakfast at Shutters on the Beach - the best breakfasts I have had anywhere in the world and also an interesting place to sit as lots of the movie folks (producers/directors) tend to meet there and you can earwig their conversations ;)

I used to do those sort of breakfasts regularly when I worked in Newport Beach. Loads of places that cater for the early rising surfers.

The things I missed doing in my time over there were the J. Paul Getty Museum and Villa which are in your area.

Loads to do around there depending on how far you're willing to drive, 17 Mile Drive in Monterey, Big Bear, Big Sur, San Diego zoo, Disney/Studios etc etc

Just make sure you drive PCH a lot ;)

I stayed in Santa Monica, LA and Beverly Hills - my favourite was Santa Monica and would love to go back one day ... did the Paul Getty Museum too. Cycled down the Venice & Muscle beach, met some interesting folk - also visited some other "tourist" attractions such as the Max Factor museum (run by a very plastic fantastic lady), Kodak Theatre and spent a day at Universal but my best memory is ending up at a club on a rooftop with a swimming pool and these little pods with water beds in ... all the staff were dressed like they were out of Thunderbirds (since seen the club in a film called KissKiss BangBang) - can't remember what it was called or how/why we managed to get in or even much else about that evening so sorry not much help +++

Yes please ! :)

Search on Google Maps for 34.03752,-118.618655 and that's the spot. The beach very narrow there so you get the water right underneath you. Streetview tells you the place is called Moonshadows - weird thing is that I went there once or twice a month for two years and never knew what it was called!!

• 2 weeks later...

Get yourself over to Galpin Motors on Roscoe Boulevard for a dealership experience you will never forget, and some truly interesting machinery, and see if you can find the secret entrance to the Club Aston showroom.

Don't worry about food, there's a Starbucks, and a very good restaurant and several bars.

Their sales figures are pretty amazing too.