Anti perforation warranty

pingpongpo

Hello chaps, I have just purchased some official VW roofbars for my Mk4 golf as I can't get everything into it now the kids have arrived when we go on holiday.

Anyway, this is besides the point. When I fitted them the other day I noticed that in one of the roof gulleys (it's a 3 door) underneath the long plastic covers is some rust.

I popped into my local VW garage to ask if this was covered by the 12 year anti perforation warranty (mine is just over 10yrs old now) and all I got back was some mumbling about "ooh, water collects there so it probably won't be covered".

Now, I've had this car since new, FSH etc and they're telling me they won't cover the repair? Is this right?

Has anyone else had any experience about how difficult it is to get VW to repair paintwork under warranty?

Many thanks :)

I had a an issue with bubbling on my GTI (which I posted up on here when it happened) the car was a couple of years old and and a little area of paint bubbled up on the roof line, they said that it was caused by water ingression from a stone chip (there was a microscopic hole in the middle of it) so wouldn't pay up on it, now my bonnet and front wings looked like a magic eye picture with the number of stone chips on it and none of those ever bubbled, just this one bit.

I'm not sure how VW do it, but to maintain the anti perforation warranty on a lot of marques, you have to have an annual bodywork inspection, that isn't part of the normal servicing regime.

And you have to ask for it too, they won't tell you, and it has to be done at a main dealer regardless of where you get your servicing as it's additional to the standard vehicle warranty and therefore doesn't come under the fair play rules.

So, i'd imagine they'll tell you to do one.

The Mrk I TT's suffered with similar on the pop up covers of the roof rack mounting points. Many dealers were saying they were fixtures and not body work and hence weren't covered. I got mine sorted but many didn't.

Good luck getting it fixed.

I've looked at my warranty and it doesn't go into that much detail so I can argue the point :)

I know its not caused by stone damage as its under a cover so nothing can get to it, I believe it to be a fault that up to a couple of weeks ago had been hidden by the said cover.

I'm taking it in next week so I'll let you know what they say; thanks for the pointers :)