Service and EGR issues? HELP

forresthills

Hi guys,

My wife's car (Saab 93 Aero 1.9 ttdi - 180 or 190 bhp version) had a 'major' service and software update on the DPF regeneration process on Wednesday. on the way home that night the engine warning light came on and a few minutes later I lost all power, typically on the section of the M25 coming up the hill from junction 2 (but just before 3A) where there is no hard shoulder, which was an interesting experience to say the least. I managed to crawl out of trouble and once the hard shoulder, restarted the car, which seems to clear the fault (warning light stayed on), but only enough for me to get the car off the M25.

The AA have attended and logged an EGR fault which is putting the engine into a 'limp' mode. Now my question is, could the software update or service carried out by the main dealer have had an influence on this? i.e. we have run the car faultless for more than a year and it's drunk nothing but Shell V-Power, but with 20 miles and 30 mins of collecting it - bang our first issue. We've covered 7000 miles since we got it, and it now has 47000 on the clock. Full service history and generally a great car. The most important thing is my wife loves it.

It's now back on it's way to the main dealer for them to look at it.

Input from any experts gratefully received, I need to decide if I need to push the dealer to sort the issue free of charge (or at least to make a gesture), or whether it is just bad luck and coincidental timing.

Thanks.

Edit: By the way, I'm not assuming any Saab experts are on here, but DPF and EGR are common across most modern diesels now days, so am guessing this might be common - DPF issues certainly seem to be.

Edited by forresthills

If I'm honest that's exact what I was doing when the engine warning light came on. Foot to the floor pulling away from the booths a the Dartford toll.

My wife is quiet a sedate driver and mostly does stuff around town. Short trips (not idea I know), but she is on maternity leave (again), so it’s not getting it’s intended use. I take it out on weekends, but even then 30min runs on fast A roads and the M25 only.

I did read up about cleaning the EGR, but time is against me. We need the car for tonight and a long run up north. Main dealer just called, saying it needs replacing, (I’m sure it doesn’t like you say Cruiser), but I’ll just have to sallow it. Complained about the £200 price tag and they have agreed to share some of the costs, but not sure just how much yet.

As for the DPF delete, I was wondering if Shark could do anything. I know he offers performance tuning for Vauxhall and Alfas and isn’t the Saab just a Vauxhall with a Fiat/Alfa engine? Shark? Are you there?

Style of driving makes no difference to how much gunk will get stuck in the EGR valve, they all gunk up, doesn't matter if it's doing short runs or long runs, thrashing it etc, all totally irrelevant.

Not sure what type of valve the Saab will have, but if it's electronic you could simply try unplugging it.

Thats what I've done on my galaxy as it got sticky and started messing around, some cars get a warning light in the dash (mine does) but on the flip side, the car drives better than it did when it was new, and it's done 160k now.

Cleaning the valve will only be a temporary fix btw, they still wear, which is why they gunk up in the first place, so cleaning will get more and more frequent until it needs replacing.

Just a quick note to say that I picked the car up on Friday and it was like new - only better. I guess the valve must have already been on it's way out, as the car seems so much better now. Quicker, more responsive and even the MPG seems to have improved? So quite pleased all in all. Tipex/Cruiser thanks for the input.

Now where is Shark, I quite fancy that DPF delete and customer map.