Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boxerbeat

Long awaited RS 3

48 posts in this topic

So you really think you'd lose the business just because of the car you drive?

Can't see it myself, either you're good at your job and reasonably priced, or you aren't, what's the car got to do with it?

Has anyone ever told you that you're losing a contract because your car is too flash? or are you making assumptions on others behalf?

Genuine question btw, and aimed at anyone who's purchased a car they don't really want, simply to appear poorer than they are, totally baffled as to why anyone would even give it a second thought, surely they want people who are successful at what they do?

Edited by Tipex

Don't be silly. You'd fail to get the business because you didn't "click" with the person you spoke to.

And the reason for that is that they formed the initial impression that you were a tosser and you couldn't get the conversation round to somewhere positive.

Equally, if I'm chatting and I find they're seriously interested in cars, I'll work the Caterham into the conversation so that they remember me - the one who built a race car and crashed it twice.

It's about not giving people preconceptions that *may* turn out to have been negative.

Can't see it myself, either you're good at your job and reasonably priced, or you aren't, what's the car got to do with it?

Has anyone ever told you that you're losing a contract because your car is too flash? or are you making assumptions on others behalf?

Genuine question btw, and aimed at anyone who's purchased a car they don't really want, simply to appear poorer than they are, totally baffled as to why anyone would even give it a second thought, surely they want people who are successful at what they do?

In our game, it is very easy for people to see what you are making, it is in black and white in front of them on a bit of paper: You are borrowing X and your interest charges are X.

My job is not at all glamorous, I will be in a used van dealership one minute, a Peugeot dealership the next, a used car pitch where the average price of cars is say £10k the next. You get the idea.

You can't turn up in the wrong car or these people will get the wrong idea and want more commission out of me!! I have dealerships that I have dealt with for 16 years and I turned up in the A5 when I got it and got called a flash git.

One of my biggest customers is a massive player in the mobile phone recycling game, they do a lot of business with big charities. The two directors used to run a DB9 and a C4S. They now have an A8 and a 535d as they were always parking round the corner from meetings so people couldn't see what they were arriving in.

I also know plenty of car traders that drive round in sheds (one has a Pug 406 as a daily smoker and about £1m worth of classics in his garage) buying from main dealers as if they turns up in the wrong car they will either stop selling to him or demand more money for their cars.

I have the same issue in my line of business - turning up to work in new flash cars (M3/M5/RR, cabriolet in summer), people could think i'm bent (as in 'on the take' and not as in 'Luke').

You should see the looks I get in my Vivaro Sportive.

You should see the looks I get dogging in my Vivaro Sportive.

oooh, hello big boy!

I think the comment made to my main contact at the company canteen the following day was:

"Who is your account director"

"Andrew"

"Nice bloke but jumped into a new M3 when we got back to Heathrow - they must be charging us too much"

Regardless of how you look at it - those impressions are not great. I didn't think I'd bump into anyone at Heathrow which is why I used it that time. Not a problem now of course because the Leon is down south for work and the M3 is gathering snow up north!

The silly thing is. If you turned up in a mk7 golf tdi with a load of extras, c£25k no one would bat an eyelid.

I'm a builder and I can tell you if I turned up at a client’s house with anything other than the Van I would and have received the comment “you must be expensive or I'm paying you too much” etc. The negative publicity that surrounds certain professions dictates you try to tread gently.

That's true in this country. In the US you're more likely to get "that guys a hard worker and fair play to him"

They might make comments like that, but who cares? if you're still the best quote, you'll still get the work, surely?

We get exactly the same thing in the taxis, pull up in a Merc and they say your obviously earning to much, but they still use us, simply because we are both the cheapest, and the best.

They might make comments like that, but who cares? if you're still the best quote, you'll still get the work, surely?

We get exactly the same thing in the taxis, pull up in a Merc and they say your obviously earning to much, but they still use us, simply because we are both the cheapest, and the best.

Not to mention, the most humble.

Not to mention, the most humble.

If you don't believe in yourself, you can't expect anyone else to.

Besides, our figures speak for themselves, and we are the only company with a waiting list of people wanting to work for us!

I know what your saying and cheap will do it in taxi's but there are several professions that are vilified by the media. The construction industry being one. My company has gained a very good reputation for quality and fair pricing. We have won building awards for quality etc. but the bottom line is there is very little trust. What's a taxi driver going to do but take you where you want to go. One way or another your going to get there!!! Now you take sales personal, garages or building to name but a few, that mostly give a great service. it is assumed due to the bad press we're out to rip everyone off.

I can't remember seeing "Rogue Taxis" or Cowboy Taxis on tele. Yes you sometime run late may charge a little to much, take cash but we will still use you because a tenner for a taxi is neither here or there in the big scheme of things. As for people wanting to work for you doesn't always good service. Just good employers.

Anyway back to the RS 3 I will right my review tomorrow with some added pic's now that I've had the car for a month.

I wish it was that simple, being cheap is only part of it, if you don't provide the service to go with it, people won't use you.

You can break anything down to it's base level and make it sound simple, for example, builders, all you do is build stuff, not hard is it?

But in reality, we all know things aren't quite that simple.

You say builders are vilified by the media, and yes we've all seen the cowboy builders shows etc, but don't go thinking you're the only ones fighting an undeserved reputation, the common perception of cab drivers is that we're all thick, can't do any better, out to rip everyone off, moonlighting from other jobs, rapists or murderers etc etc, anytime someone commits a crime, who happens to be a taxi driver, we all get tarred with the same brush, you don't get that in many other professions.

The reality is, that we have drivers who have retired from other professions (not necessarily due to age), some were builders, we have an ex commercial pilot, accountants etc, you name it, all people who don't all of a sudden turn into any of the above.

What we do, is try our best to disprove all those stereotypes, and that's why we are one of the largest cab firms in the south east, that means we can also use our buying power to drive down costs and pass the savings on to our customers.

I know what your saying and cheap will do it in taxi's but there are several professions that are vilified by the media. The construction industry being one. My company has gained a very good reputation for quality and fair pricing.

Anyway back to the RS 3 I will right my review tomorrow with some added pic's now that I've had the car for a month.

I must say - not missing construction much, although sometimes I drive past a building I've designed and think - Wow I did that (you don't get that sense of achievement in IT I don't think). Yep Image is everything in construction, the wrong car, my old practise manager had a Porsche and it caused no end of trouble.

Looking forward to the review. If you don't like the engine, feel free to give me the car :D

Yes you sometime run late may charge a little to much, take cash but we will still use you because a tenner for a taxi is neither here or there in the big scheme of things. As for people wanting to work for you doesn't always good service. Just good employers.

I wonder if firms realise how important this is? My average taxi expense bill per month is around 3-400 quid - but that's choosing via a whole plethora of cab firms within 5 miles of my house. A firm only needs to over-charge, be rude, or not meet my requirements* for a cab firm, and I simply just don't use them again. I don't complain - well rarely anyway.

*My requirements are simple. Turn up, take me where I'm going, don't make me scared for my life, have a reasonable clean car, and don't take the piss on the fare because you think I don't care because I'm obviously not paying.

I think the problem with a lot of taxi firms, is that they are run by taxi drivers, as typically a lot of firms are set up by groups of drivers who are unhappy with the way the company they worked for previously were running things, so break away and set up by themselves.

The problem with that, is that often they've never been in the customer service industry before, so have little experience of how to deal with the public outside of the taxi industry, and sadly the general attitude toward customers in the industry seems to be that they are a pain in the ar5e and we're doing them a favour.

That's exactly the attitude we've tried to stamp down hard on, and we don't tolerate it.

We expect all our drivers to get out of the car and knock on peoples doors, rather than pulling up and tooting (unless the customer requests ring/text back), we expect them to carry peoples bags/shopping to/from the car, and we expect them to open the door for customers getting in/out of the car and offer assistance to elderly or infirm customers.

There is no excuse for being rude or discourteous to customers, and music shouldn't be blaring out, if the customers asks that the radio be turned off, turn it off, you'd be surprised how many drivers are of the attitude that it's "my car and I want the radio on".

We always try and give customers the benefit of the doubt too, if they are short of money we will allow them to pay at a later date if they seem genuine, and this seems to work, we have many grateful parents who come into the office and pay fares on behalf of stranded children who'd spent to much on alcohol and couldn't get home etc.

Things like that are remembered, and the opposite is also remembered if a rival company throws a teenage girl out of a cab 2 miles from home at 3 O'clock in the morning because they are a couple of pounds short on the fare!

Edited by Tipex

We expect all our drivers to get out of the car and knock on peoples doors, rather than pulling up and tooting (unless the customer requests ring/text back)

I hate the toot thing, even worse when you get in the car and the driver continues his telephone conversation without even acknoledging you ! (no I don't use them anymore!)

How do you handle it when the pick up is on a road and there's no space to stop?

How do you handle it when the pick up is on a road and there's no space to stop?

Stop anyway. :coffee:

:grin:

I hate the toot thing, even worse when you get in the car and the driver continues his telephone conversation without even acknoledging you ! (no I don't use them anymore!)

Yes it's just plain rude, it's just as annoying from our side when a customer does it though, especially when they are so engrossed in conversation they don't respond when you try and confirm their destination.

As for stopping, it entirely depends on the situation, by law, taxi and private hire vehicles are allowed to stop anywhere (including red routes) for a 'reasonable period of time' to allow passengers to enter or exit the vehicle and load or unload luggage.

In reality, we expect drivers to use a bit of common sense as a liveried cab holding traffic up isn't good for business either.

We have regular customers that live on roads where it is awkward to stop and we usually work out with them a more sensible place to pick them up if possible.