Timing belt..

charley2402

So my car recently hit 66000 miles and has never had its timing belt done.

Some mechanics have told me its okay till 70000 some have told me its long overdue and needs to get sorted asap.

Was looking for abit of advice, as i dont know if the garage is trying to get more £££ out of me or if it actually needs done!

If so, can anyone recommend anywhere to buy one thats good and not rediculously priced, because if i buy it all i have to pay for is labour so cuts the cost down abit!

cheers.

In 2007 VW changed their schedules for changing cam belts due to the number of owners experiencing engine damage caused by this issue. Before 2007 I think they advised changing every 5 years.

VW is very clear that this part should be changed every 4 years or 60000 miles, which ever comes first.

It is not normally the belt that fails its the tensioner which VW decided to make out of plastic.

Absolutely get it changed, you'll need the whole kit, tensioners etc, probably best change the water pump too.

You are unlikely to buy an OE quality kit cheaper than a mechanic with trade discount, and don't bother with anything 'cheap' as it'll be poor quality.

Absolutely get it changed, you'll need the whole kit, tensioners etc, probably best change the water pump too.

You are unlikely to buy an OE quality kit cheaper than a mechanic with trade discount, and don't bother with anything 'cheap' as it'll be poor quality.

Yep, this ^^

Do it, the downside risk is so huge that it's not worth pushing.

VW is very clear that this part should be changed every 4 years or 60000 miles, which ever comes first.

VW UK seem more concerned about time than mileage as it's 140k miles or 4 years on my 170 CR TDI.

I also believe it's VW UK that stipulate the 4 years. Interestingly Audi stipulate 5 years for the same engine and the factory don't stipulate any time but just mileage and regular inspections.

Better to be safe than sorry though :-)

OP get it changed ASAP

Edited by Cuprabob

• 2 weeks later...