Your examples of car salesman's bullsh*t.

theduisbergkid

Ours are actually rather good. They actually take their time over the cars. Still it is always better to do it yourself. But the point still stands. Why pay £399 pounds for something you can buy and put on yourself for well under £100. Some people have no idea just how badly dealers will rip you off. For instance not passing on the dealer discount to the customers instead keeping it as extra profit.

Cheating feckers.

I soon put a stop to that though.

It's labour though, isn't it? And overheads. I could buy £10 of paint but the bedroom isn't going to paint itself. However I could pay a decorator £100 and he'll turn up in his own van, with liability insurance, use his own brushes and do it (and he'll pay £8 for the paint) while I'm at work earning money.

Any business is there to make money.

And having just had to have a brand new car corrected by a professional detailer after a completely bodged preparation job by a dealer, I wouldn't trust any dealer to treat my car the way I would when it comes to washing it or waxing it. Not yours or anyone else's.

Edit - and anyone who pays a dealer hundreds of £s to prep a new car rather than a professional detailer (for the same cost, probably less), deserves all they get, in my opinion.

Edited by Milo

Young asian VW salesman when looking at a Golf R in 2010.

' I am going to get an M3 next then a Lamborghini after that. My family have got loads of money from property and stuff. I only do this job as a tax dodge........but you can earn 70 grand a year if you are any good'

He had no idea about the Golf R.

I asked him how a PAYE job was a tax dodge. Afterwards, I wished I had said I worked in the investigations dept for HMRC.

out of interest how much do main dealer salesman earn?

OTE is generally around £30k (varies), some earn £40-50k, exceptional can do £70-80k+. You get a demo car too.

The paint/fabric protection can be bought on eBay, and applied yourself. However, when the guys at a dealership apply it, they enter the information into a system. If the seat is stained etc... and you cannot get it out, they will professionally valet it, or go to the effort of replacing the seat if they have to, the product I am familiar with comes with this guarantee, sure the others do too.

If you buy these products from a dealer, you are essentially buying an insurance policy too, which you won't get if you buy and apply the products yourself.

Quite.

And the brilliance of the scheme it that, unlike most insurance products, I suspect that it mainly appeals to those who are least likely to have a claim. After all, if you're happy to blow £400 on getting them to wax it for you, you're probably going to be quite careful with it :coffee:

Quite.

And the brilliance of the scheme it that, unlike most insurance products, I suspect that it mainly appeals to those who are least likely to have a claim. After all, if you're happy to blow £400 on getting them to wax it for you, you're probably going to be quite careful with it :coffee:

Ingenious business model eh!

A few years ago, I happen to know that a large sofa manufacturer that sold 'Teflon' coatings on their sofas that they produced themselves, actually treated every single sofa that they sold, in fact the fabric was treated in production before it went anywhere near a sofa, as it was cheaper to do it that way rather than treat individual sofas.

So if you paid extra for the coating, you were literally just paying for the insurance policy.

(Mainstream Car salesmen's) OTE is generally around £20k (with a tiny basic), some earn £30k, exceptional can do £40k+. Some bullsh*tting salesmen claim to earn £70k+ but are still wearing cheap suits and working all hours. You get a demo car on which you have to pay tax that ordinarily you wouldn't be seen dead driving, have a contract that means you can be out of a job if you have a bad month, spend your time in a high-pressure glass box desperately foisting stock on the general public who (rightly or wrongly) dislike you because car salesmen have a poor reputation.

Edit for my guess on reality. ;)

Just after I purchased my Dolphin grey S3, shark fin was delaminating so it went into Wayside Audi Milton Keynes (who are a bunch of clueless morons in case anyone is thinking of going there), but got car back with a scratch right across the roof. Car was straight back in. When it was delivered back to me you could still see the mark, so I said it wasn't good enough. Wayside reply was "Well it meets our quality criteria for vehicle, so if you want to any more done you will have to take us through the courts".

I guess that must be the correct way to treat someone who has purchased multiple cars from you because that was my last new Audi, clearly their strategy works in customer retention.

If anyone wants to buy a new Landrover, I'd suggest not using Peterborough LR as I understand the quality team are their now +++

God, I remember that! If a sodding great scratch across the roof "meets our quality criteria for vehicle", it doesn't give you much faith!!!

When searching for A3s I must admit I specifically excluded cars at Wayside MK. Hopefully the situation will improve now with the Jardine Group taking the helm

Hopefully the situation will improve now with the Jardine Group taking the helm

You think not then? I still wouldn't go MK after your comments Chris but have got on with Hitchin okay so far - part of same Jardine group. Taking Sportback down there this week