Smart Phone of the Moment??

Torino101

ASIDE from the iPhone. What is the best smart phone at the moment? Phones in SA are hugely expensive so looking to buy in the UK unlocked and get a sim only contract here to put in the phone. But which is best????

Galaxy S4?

HTC One?

Nokia 920?

BB Z10?

etc. etc.

Is there something wonderful just around the corner I should hold out for??

DO NOT WANT an iPhone though, before every response is iPhone, iPhone, iPhone.......:ffs:

The Z10 is a decent enough phone but I find the user interface quite infuriating at times and the app store (or whatever it's called) is like a ghost town.

My other half has a Lumia 920 and she really likes it. I've not used it much but from what I've seen I like it too. The live tiles work well but the phone is a bit big for my liking.

Really you need to decide what operating system you want first.

Forgetting ios, that only really leaves you with Android as a serious proposition, Samsung phones look and feel nice, but never have the latest versions of android and samsung are very slow at releasing updates, not mention the stupid size of the current crop of phones.

Therefore I'd be looking at something from HTC I think, they are by far the favourite with the Android geeks who like to fiddle with the OS and upgrade them etc, so from a support point of view, they must rate as the best.

S4 gets great reviews BUT everyone critisises build quality compared to others especially the HTC ONE - but does anyone have any actual experience of the HTC. Had them in the past and they were never very user friendly! More for the geek set as Tipex points out.

People at work have recently had the choice between the HTC and the Galaxy S3. Everyone who went for the HTC has already changed or is planning to get the S3 next. Must admit not sure which HTC model that was... :P

I might be tempted to look for a deal on an S3 rather than going for the S4. I'd also look at the BB Z10, but that might depend on quality and price of BB service in SA - which I believe isn't cheap.

Surely the user friendliness is down to Android rather than the phone itself? it'll be the same on an HTC as it will on a Samsung wont it?

Nope. Each manufacturer puts their own customised UI on their phones. I think it's only the Nexus 4 that has an Android vanilla interface.

Oh right, I've never noticed any differences between makes of phone running the same version of Android when tinkering in the shops?

Kind of makes the whole idea of Android obsolete doesn't it if each manufacturer fecks about with it.

At least with the HTC it's easy to 'root' it (think that means hack it) and put whatever version of Android you want on it.

Kind of makes the whole idea of Android obsolete doesn't it if each manufacturer fecks about with it.

I don't think so, quite the opposite actually as the open nature of Android allows each manufacturer to customise the software as they want.

People at work have recently had the choice between the HTC and the Galaxy S3. Everyone who went for the HTC has already changed or is planning to get the S3 next. Must admit not sure which HTC model that was... :P

Would be very interested to know which htc that was?

I might be tempted to look for a deal on an S3 rather than going for the S4. I'd also look at the BB Z10, but that might depend on quality and price of BB service in SA - which I believe isn't cheap.

BB have shot themselves in the foot in SA - they had a strangle hold on the market as data on phones here is hugely expensive, but blackberry offered bis on all their phones for very little every month - consequently everyone ended up with blackberrys and only a tiny percentage were on apple or Samsung. With the new z10 BB have REMOVED the option of BIS and you have to pay for data just like on any other contract here, in one swoop removing the only reason people were using blackberrys here......

Would be very interested to know which htc that was?

Will check on Monday ... if I remember! +++

Blackberry specific plans are no longer required - only normal data as you'd have on android or Ios is required

Ah! +++

BB have shot themselves in the foot in SA - they had a strangle hold on the market as data on phones here is hugely expensive, but blackberry offered bis on all their phones for very little every month - consequently everyone ended up with blackberrys and only a tiny percentage were on apple or Samsung. With the new z10 BB have REMOVED the option of BIS and you have to pay for data just like on any other contract here, in one swoop removing the only reason people were using blackberrys here......

Oops! :P

Don't agree, it ruins any consistency or branding.

I agree that it doesn't help with consistency but I think it does help with branding as someone may like the Samsung customised version of Android more than the HTC version so that helps keep that person buying the Samsung brand.

I've been using a Sony Experia S for about a year now and really like it. Much better than the SE Xperia X 10, I had previously.

Does everything I need from a phone.

Only downside they tend fo be a version of Android behind

Edited by Cuprabob

I find the HTC UI very hard to use and much prefer the Samsung Touchwiz UI. The idea of android is a standard OS under the user interface. A bit like flavours of Linux with Redhat/Suse/Ubuntu etc.

S4 on order for the 26th to replace the S3 which I've been very happy with, I "tinker" with it like crazy, rooting is a doddle, and although the main network providers take time to release OS's I can guarantee a new leaked ROM from Samsung every two to three weeks.

Edited by craigyb

One of my mates has a 'rooted' Android phone, he's always updating it to latest versions of this or that, proudly stating it's running Jellybean (or whatever the latest version is).

When I asked him what it was like he said it's amazing, wipes the floor with ios (yes he's one of those, hates iphones despite never owning one), then added, it only crashes once or twice a day now, and i'm sure they'll have the camera and GPS working in the next update. :rolleyes:

Your mates a bit of a d1ck then, mine seldom crashes (although there was a bit of a bug about 6 months ago that caused some them to crash a lot), GPS works a treat along with the camera, Bluetooth and all the other functionality....

But of course Tipex your one of the TSN massive that are always right, so what's the point in talking to you.

One of my mates has a 'rooted' Android phone, he's always updating it to latest versions of this or that, proudly stating it's running Jellybean (or whatever the latest version is).

When I asked him what it was like he said it's amazing, wipes the floor with ios (yes he's one of those, hates iphones despite never owning one), then added, it only crashes once or twice a day now, and i'm sure they'll have the camera and GPS working in the next update. :rolleyes:

Your mates a bit of a d1ck then, mine seldom crashes (although there was a bit of a bug about 6 months ago that caused some them to crash a lot), GPS works a treat along with the camera, Bluetooth and all the other functionality....

But of course Tipex your one of the TSN massive that are always right, so what's the point in talking to you.

Put your handbag away you pillock, I was merely regaling a tale of days gone past, I've no doubt his phone is working fine now.

You might *think* you know everything there is to know about tech, phones or whatever, but I can assure you, when it comes to Android, he knows more than you ever will.

He's not very good at it and should leave it well alone then by the sounds of it Tipex. I personally don't have a lot of time for Android - I struggle with it as a working environment, but I don't think it's a bad OS as such. A properly root'ed Android device should work just as well as any other device, unless it's been done badly.