Smart Phone of the Moment??

Torino101

Lol, he's part of some internet crew that work on getting things working on phones that they shouldn't do, hence he's always got phones in semi states of working, or not.

I've not at any point said Android isn't any good in this thread, it's not for me, but there you go.

Yeah, a lot of my stuff certainly with early BETA software on can be a bit dodgy. Apple doesn't release early BETA stuff even to their registered developers - they're usually fairly mature even before they hit the developer portal. Not quite the same in the Android world - there's a lot of modified code-bases out there.

I don't think anything of the sort about Android, I know very little about phones OS's, but I know about stable builds.

But as I said why argue with "everything I state is always correct regardless...." I'm just wasting my time even offering an opinion with people like you on the forums.

I'm not part of the TSN buddy group so why bother trying to contribute

Put your handbag away you pillock, I was merely regaling a tale of days gone past, I've no doubt his phone is working fine now.

You might *think* you know everything there is to know about tech, phones or whatever, but I can assure you, when it comes to Android, he knows more than you ever will.

I'm not part of the TSN buddy group so why bother trying to contribute

Buddy group? If it seems like that, then something must be very wrong with your browser.

As for "people like you" then I'd suggest you look in the mirror, I can't see where anyone in this thread has said anyone else is wrong, merely people offering opinions and experiences, if you don't agree with them, that's fine, no need to get your knickers in a twist about it.

I have the S2 so miles out of date but from what i have seen and used the S3 is a great phone as well. It does everything you need it to.

I am not a fan of apple i never have been since i tried the macs and Ipods. Never been able to get on with them at all but thats down to me not the tech. I am a massive fan of adroid but if something better comes along that i find easier to use then i will switch. As for the HTC though it is a very good phone i know 2 people that have them that do not mess about with anything other than downloading new apps and they love it. I used it for a week before getting my new S2 yes i got a new S2 instead of the S3 as i found it much easier to use. It's not as quick but i have computers and laptops to do do my surfing on so i don't need it to be fantastic.

In the end it comes down to one thing. Which one you like the best as at the end of all the chat and reaserch they all do pretty much the same thing so why worry about it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Have S3 following dilemma a few weeks back with Orange - bloody great bit of kit - now actually taking full advantage of the contracts we are in with regards data etc.

Compared to the old HTC Wildfire S - the size did take a bit of getting ued to but I had to dive on the wildfire s last night for something and it felt tiny and unusable!

I found the build quality on my old HTC HD2 excellent - and I like the Sense interface so if you do consider Android I would consider the HTC One X although personally I would gun for the Sony Z10 in Android Land

Mind you I made the choice to get the Lumia 920 and love it.

Yes it is rough round the edges and they have to finesse the software (for things like individual volumes for ring tone and notifications) but it is well built, excellent camera and personally I find enough apps I need....

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have iphone 5 and can say I actually foudn in day to day use, my Lumia was a better phone for me, and I suspect when I splash some cash out I'll be back with another Windows phone.

Yep I'll be swapping my Lumia 800 for a later model when I'm due for upgrade in July time, a workmate just asked to have first dibbs on buying my present one which is a bonus. +++

Also looking at picking up a Nexus 7 - is Google Play the cheapest place to buy?

I picked one up cheap a few weeks back but not at a price you'd pay in a shop (it wasn't stolen or anything, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time), I paid £120 for it, brand new and unopened.

It's quite a handy little thing, the Mrs and boy are addicted to it, battery life is good but it's slow to charge.

It runs the latest version of Android and should require a firmware update to it straight out of the box, and it's a huge improvement on older versions, and hasn't crashed once yet, still not as slick or intuitive as IOS, and has no more functionality, but it's a nice unit to use.

Build quality seems good, screen is great, all in all, I don't think i'd pay the extra for an iPad mini, I can't see where it'd be any better.

I'd be worried about any Android tablet with a slower processor though, this copes well but does suffer a tiny bit of lag if working it hard.

I'd definitely recommend getting an OTG cable and one of those tiny USB micro SD card holders that fit inside the USB slot, then download the Nexus Media Importer app (£2.99 I think) and you can easily play or import media, as the two biggest failings are the lack of a memory card slot, and the fact that Android wont let you use a memory card to store apps on anyway.

One thing i have read recently is that they are planning to launch the next Nexus 7 in July. Mainly revolving around a faster processor consuming less power and a better screen with thinner bezel. Whilst keeping the pricing the same.....

Shall hold out and see.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a S3 from a iPhone 4 and 4S, I much prefer the OS of Andriod to iOS, I have installed a custom ROM on mine (Paranoid Android) and I would say has improved the phone no end.

But with the world of multiple devices and multiple OS's I am now starting to look at Windows Phone, one OS to Multiple devices, I am liking the Samsung Ativ S phone they have produced.... Damn it!

The ecosystem story for Apple/Android/Windows is a massively important one really. Apple's approach really does tie you to the platform - I.e. you buy things like TomTom/apps etc. that work across your phone/iPads etc. and you're properly 'invested' in the platform. Android have tried to do the same thing, but they don't seem to have achieved it as well - Microsoft are also trying to do the same thing with the store. Incidentally, it was Microsoft's stupid RT platform that in my eyes broke their system. In effect a small laptop that runs a custom version of Windows that doesn't support most apps that people want to use in that format? It would be like having a Macbook Pro running IOS. Utterly pointless. Which is why I used it for 2 or 3 days then put it in a draw.

To be clear, I'm not saying they don't have the same level of support or applications, it's just that you tend to see a lot more mobility in Android users switching platforms than you do in Apple land. Apple users, once they're in, are often trapped forever mwuahahaha. Must admit I'd be on the Lumia 920 I have in my draw had I had to pay for the iPhone 5 replacement recently - I smashed the screen. If I'd have had to pay a couple of hundred quid to replace it....I think I'd have bitten the investment in apps and moved to what I consider now to be a far better platform. So by 'doing me a favour' in replacing it under warranty they've actually invested in keeping my business.

The biggest problem I have with Android is consistency - I don't want to have to care what version/sub-version of stuff that I'm running to get the same user experience. I find that ecosystem an utter mess.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a usual user in that respect - I go through a lot of devices and environments in a year, so I guess the disjointed approach of Android is far more visible than somebody who changes their phone every couple of years?? Not sure, just conjecture on my part.

Edited by Mac

If you can find it Tesco's were selling the 16gig for £120 ish.

When I got ours a couple of months ago Tesco were selling the 16Gb version for £159 I think.

I have installed a custom ROM on mine (Paranoid Android) and I would say has improved the phone no end.

See now, a lot of people seem to have 'rooted' their Android devices and downloaded custom firmware, which totally defeats the object in my opinion.

I'm not quite so averse to Android these days, having a device running the latest version, but I still wouldn't choose one over an IOS device.

Neither of them do anything the other doesn't, so that's that old argument null and void these days, I just find IOS does everything easier, but the biggest thing for me, is the app stores.

The Android app stores are full of utter crap, stuff that riddles your device with adverts and spyware etc and stuff that simply isn't what it's described as.

As an example, why would a game need access to your phone records?

Why when downloading 'Sonic Rush' for the lad, do I not get the game, but end up with a device full of adverts and fake icons taking me to dubious websites? All the reviews rate it 5 stars, so how is it allowed to still be in the app store?

That is the biggest issue for me with Android at the moment, and it would stop me purchasing another Android device, as I know i'll get nothing like that from the Apple app store.

This is the reason that I would like to move away from Android, being in a IT I can't leave things alone for too long the iPhone was one phone I just left as I didn't see the reason to Jailbreak it etc. For some reason with the S3 I felt the need to do it and then install a custom ROM. Just because I can.

I have my phone through work and look after the contract also, so when an opportunity to change comes around I like to try it, of course everyone's opinion is different etc, but we have had to send back a huge amount of phones (iPhone's) due to them failing in some way or another, compared to the Blackberry's we had it was around 90% failure. Granted some of that was due to people dropping them, but the cost of the BES was a key factor in moving away from Blackberry.

My wife has had issues with app's that she has downloaded to her phone and has random apps appear, I have since cleared this but yes it is annoying and would appear that Google Play doesn't have the checks that Apple's App store does.

But the other issues is the availability of app's, I have only recently been able to get the Santander app on my Android OS device in the last month, Apple by comparison its been over a year! That does annoy me but then I have gotten used to it, so I am willing to take the plunge another different Phone OS..

Which is why in this day and age of having multiple devices running different OS's that I would like just one common platform, with the new tablet on the way which will be running Windows 8 Pro, a desktop that could run the same, so why not have the phone aswell!

Edited by BURTON