Advice on E90 320 M Sport

Hopsta

Finally going to change the A3 after 9 years and 120k miles of ownership :uhoh: and have the E90 320 M Sport on the list as a possible replacement.

Any pit fulls I should be aware of? What major things should be changed at age/mileage?

We're looking to spend around £10k, have a few things that are must haves.

Petrol

4 Door

170 Bhp

Ideally with Nav/Bluetooth

Going to a local place (Big Motor World) just to let the misses have a look at one as she'll be driving it more than me.

Edit - what are the standard headlights like? ideally I'd like Xenons but this does not seem to be standard.

MrsEldavo has an E93 320i cab.

Can't help you with the headlights as the cab has xenons as standard but I would say check for warranty work and specifically coil pack replacement. These engines are notorious for issues with the coil packs and they should have been changed for update parts by now but do check.

I have an E91 touring and have changed the headlight bulbs to some better ones. To be honest after the A3 I had before they seemed great initially but after getting the cab and experiencing the xenons I felt that there was room for improvement.

The 320i engine is alright, not amazing economy (MrsEldavo is a GP so lots of short stop start journeys) we see about 26-27 knocking round the houses and 33-34 on a run. The engine has a fair amount of shove when it gets going and whilst no torque monster it'll pull we'll even when in a gear too high.

I've just put the summer wheels back on this morning and given it a wash and polished a couple of marks out, gratuitous picture opportunity:

5ebybuga.jpg

I had the standard lights on my e90 and they weren't bad at all, not Xenon good but far better than many others I've had in the past they aren't a problem and you could always get some of the powerbulb offerings to improve things if you feel the need.

If you could push to the 325i or the 330i I would. I did a quick search on BMW.co.uk and found a few 325 and 330i M-Sports but they were 2006/7 so not that much different to some of the 320i and they had a good healthy spec on them as well. +++

Cheers people all good info there, the trip the BM world was interesting and even if id not read/ heard about them i wouldn't buy there anyhow. They felt very 80's in their approach, trying to get my details for 'health and safety' so naturally they got No 10 Sw1a 2aa ;) Mrs said are they going to phone our next of kin if there is a fire :roflmao:

Yes there are plenty of cars, but not any I would buy, prices were just all over the place too. There was a good spec 320d m sport but its was about £4k more than any other of the same age.

Note taken about the 325/330, although 6/7 years is pushing it as I'm likely to keep it a few years.

Shame about Xenons, but looking for 4 door (future planning and all that).

Your right most of the 330 / 325 will be getting on a little buy you might just find something on a National search at a main dealer that they just want to move on.

Also have a look at a 5 series or an A6, you tend to get a lot more for your money and it will be newer surprisingly. If you are planning for family expansion the 3 series isn't very big at all by the time you have a big buggy in the boot there isn't much space left for anything else. +++

Shame about Xenons, but looking for 4 door (future planning and all that).

If you are going for a saloon, then I can't stress enough about getting into a face-lift model. The front end looks MILES better, interior got a spruce up too.

Think it was c March 2009

• 3 months later...

Well this is going to be my new home, after 16 years of VAG ownership (1 VW and 2 Audi) i'm jumping ship to the world of no indicators.

Picking up a 2009 E90 320 M-Sport on Friday, 1 owner, few toys including BMW Professional and Visibility Pack, no Nav but will get the tomtom or similar for iPhone instead.

It felt strange driving a NA compared to turbo, something I'll get used quickly along with the RWD.

Luckily we've got a weekend away visiting friends in the west country so will have a chance to give it a good run taking the scenic route from stealers :grin:

Big thanks to Biscuits and J_C for popping down to give us their thoughts +++

Can't bloody wait to pick it up :jump:

49017d1375161890-advice-e90-320-m-sport-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375161888.195990.jpg

[ATTACH]49017[/ATTACH]

post-283-137914501284_thumb.jpg