Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theduisbergkid

Automotive investments ?

112 posts in this topic

Dad had a mint 635 from new. I implored him not to sell it, but he flogged it 2 years ago for peanuts. :ffs:

You should have bought it / offered it on TSN!!! +++

Maybe a random suggestion which will be laughed off but how about something like a Renault 19 16v? An old work colleague had one a dozen or so years ago and I remember it being quick, even quicker after he'd had it chipped (and it was a proper chip, had to get out a soldering iron and everything!) couldn't see any on autotrader so don't know if they've rusted away to nothing or don't come up very often?

I suspect they must hold some value through sheer rarity - I'd have thought almost all of them were either written off or have disintegrated.

A (proper) Clio Williams would be more collectible.

I think the future Renault 19 16v market would be very limited. You've got to acquire a 'Halo' or limited edition car such as the Cilo Williams, CSL, Merc/BMW Evo, RS, Cosworth etc to stand a chance of your investment increasing in value.

although with the E30 cab you have to consider all the bodily fluids that have been expelled all over the interior, if the top gear test results are to be believed and not forgetting enough traces of coke to get you into trouble

Can't see the 19 16V ever being collectible, I had one, it was a nightmare, quick and handled well, but so unreliable and just nothing 'special' about it at all.

Clio Williams are a good bet, and at the moment prices vary wildly, an original Willy 1 will hold it's value better than a 2 or 3, but they are all just as good.

Lancia Delta Intergrale Evo II?[h=3][/h]

Lancia Delta Intergrale Evo II?

I saw one in red on Sunday in the car park at Ikea Edmonton of all places. It looked the business. The shape is totally spot on. I nearly bought one many years ago and have always regretted not doing it. Still one of my ll time fav' cars.

Lancia Delta Intergrale Evo II?[h=3][/h]

You've missed the boat on those by quite a few years, decent examples are +£20k these days.

A non Evo 16v can be had for sensible money, around £8k will get a good one, but I don't see them increasing in value.

SC Supersport?

Decent ones getting pretty rare these days and only heading up.

G series cars are beginning to move up, see the 3.o Carrera.... Ouch!

Hang on to it! +++

Yeah I know. But I'm not really in a position to keep £20k in the garage keeping the local mice cosy. I need some funds to buy a car when the Merc goes back in November. A 911 just aint gonna cut it with a dog and a baby.

True enough, plus they don't keep we'll in garages, they genuinely need to be driven above 4k revs to keep everything coated with oil...

The suns out, there's no salt, get out there! :)

The Citroen XM and Renault Avantime are slightly odd suggestions.

As is the Rover 75 V8, did they actually make one? Or was it only the MG version that was available with a V8? That would make more sense.

I guess it's difficult for us to think of non sporty cars as being collectable.

The Citroen XM and Renault Avantime are slightly odd suggestions.

I guess due their somewhat quirky design and limited RHD sales they could be desirable in time.

They did make a Rover 75 V8. I remember sitting in one at an NEC motorshow. You could tell it was a bit of a bodge job ... auto only, but no left footrest.

The V8 MG version of the 75 was a totally re engineered car, that just happened to wear the same body, given the 75 and other MG versions were all front wheel drive it was quite some undertaking, and apparently, quite good.

I didn't know they'd made a non MG version, how many did they sell? One?

A friend went out to buy a 'frugal Golf' and came back with a used one of those in estate form. Had a ford V8 in it I think?? I thought it was rear wheel drive too but could be memory failing.

Anyway, it sounded great back then (2003 I think) and to drive was actually... What's the word I'm looking for... Hmm...

Abysmal.

Yes that's it.