Automotive investments ?

theduisbergkid

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The V8 was indeed RWD and Ford US engined. if took a fair bit of re-engineering, mostly by a group of Rover techs who stayed after work to design and build themselves. The RWD drive shaft tunnel was the reason they couldn't fit a foot rest in the auto Rover version.

As an aside, I think all the Manchester 2002 Rover 75s were 2.0 V6 Connosieurs.

It must have been 2005 when he bought it as I remember he bought it for about £12k, but it was practically new and the dealer was closing due to Rover going under....

It did make a great noise, but didn't really go and I think the amount of horsepower they extracted from the heavy V8 engine was pretty low.

I only saw it once as I was abroad then.

From memory it was the standard Ford 4.6 lump putting out around 260bhp. Seen a couple of tastefully updated MG versions but dunno if they were able to do much about the power. Possibly not room for a blower.

It was indeed 260, the MG version was sold as the ZT260. Form a 4.6l lump (I think), that is truly disappointing. Compare that with an E46 M3 with 3.2l 6-cyl and 343hp, or an even older E39 M5 with 5.0l but 400hp... :coffee:

I had it explained to me in the US.

Basically they didn't need efficient engines, just simple, easy to fix ones, and the V8s they run in pick ups and large sedans do 250k lazy miles with a few oil changes and the occasional 'tune up'.

Basically they didn't need efficient engines, just simple, easy to fix ones, and the V8s they run in pick ups and large sedans do 250k lazy miles with a few oil changes and the occasional 'tune up'.

There's a good argument for that, if you live somewhere with cheap fuel and long distances to travel. But the Rover/MG V8 thing was meant to be a performance car... :uhoh:

They'd have been better off bring back the old 3.5 V8 Buick from the SD1! Not far off that power figure (which they could match with a bit of effort), and much more iconic for a typical Rover buyer. And a good marketing tool.

But that is what a limited development budget does.

Oh god no, the Rover V8 is an awful engine, it's just not capable of producing those sort of figures reliably, anything over 200 horses and it's struggling.

The best option would have been a GM LS series V8, compact, lightweight, and decent power figures (for yank stuff), the Ford engine isn't a bad one really, and 260 BHP in a saloon car that isn't aiming to rival the M3 is pretty decent.