'Women lack the mental skill for F1'

Andy_Bangle

Sir Stirling Moss, arguably the greatest driver never win the World title, reckons women do not have the "mental aptitude" for F1.

At a time when women are beginning to take key roles in Formula One, such as Monisha Kaltenborn at Sauber's team boss and Claire Williams as deputy at Williams, Moss has weighed in on whether the sport will ever have a woman driver.

According to the 83-year-old, women can't hack it in Formula One, not because of physical strength but because of their mental make-up.

'Women lack the mental skill for F1' | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video

discuss :uhoh:

Lets just say i don't agree with him,

But i think his point isn't that women can drive fast, more that he feels they wouldn't be prepared to put their life on the line to win a race.

Having been involved in a junior boat racing division i can apprecaite his thoughts.. some of the risks those guys would take just to gain a point (in a series that really meant nothing) was beyond what I was prepared to do.. more so when I got into the top division.

Whilst DC was hopeless in DTM - he was still a solid 'number 2' driver for some top F1 teams - he was never going to win a title, but he picked up a number of wins and lots of podiums.

Wolff wouldn't even get a Red Bull out of Q1.

It would be interesting to see how a respectably quick female driver would do in an F1 car - Danicia Patrick, for example (remember, she won an Indycar race back in 2008).

Wolff just seems to be a free publicity stunt, set up by her shareholder husband.

What about Susie Wolff?

Did anyone see the BBC2 docu about her F1 test with Williams last night?

In DTM she was faster than David Coulthard.

Last night's program was a repeat but yes it was a good program although her Scottish / German / Swiss accent was really annoying.

I believe she is a good driver but her performance was lackluster in DTM and the comparison to DC is not really a valid one. Problem for me is that I think she got the drive at Williams not based on performance but who she is married to.

Simona de Silvestro is leader of the female pack these days. She's now IndyCar’s most high-profile female racer, and has probably been the fastest girl on the grid since she arrived two seasons ago. Danica had the better team and a much bigger pay packet, but it was the Swiss driver who was doing the business on-track.

• 9 months later...

Simona de Silvestro is leader of the female pack these days. She's now IndyCar’s most high-profile female racer, and has probably been the fastest girl on the grid since she arrived two seasons ago. Danica had the better team and a much bigger pay packet, but it was the Swiss driver who was doing the business on-track.

13.02.2014 - 

Hinwil, 14th February 2014 - The Sauber F1 Team is pleased to announce that Simona De Silvestro will become an affiliated driver. 

The 25-year-old Swiss left for the US when she was just 18 to drive in the Formula BMW USA series in 2006 and the Atlantic Championship from 2007 to 2009. Over the past four years De Silvestro has been driving in the IndyCar Series. She won the prestigious Indy 500 “Rookie of the Year” Award in 2010 and became the first woman to earn a podium finish on a street circuit in IndyCar.

This year she is taking the next step in her career by joining a preparation programme with the Sauber F1 Team, with the goal to gain her super licence and prepare for a race seat in Formula One for 2015. The programme will include on track testing, simulator training, as well as mental and physical preparation.

http://www.sauberf1team.com/en/season/news/detail-view/-/simona-de-silvestro-wird-affiliated-driver-des-sauber-f1-teams/

Wolff just seems to be a free publicity stunt, set up by her shareholder husband.

WHAT!

Are you suggesting there is a TINY degree of nepotism going on in F1 these days?

Heaven forbid, next you will be saying everyone doesn't get to drive purely on talent alone!

13.02.2014 -

Hinwil, 14th February 2014 - The Sauber F1 Team is pleased to announce that Simona De Silvestro will become an affiliated driver.

The 25-year-old Swiss left for the US when she was just 18 to drive in the Formula BMW USA series in 2006 and the Atlantic Championship from 2007 to 2009. Over the past four years De Silvestro has been driving in the IndyCar Series. She won the prestigious Indy 500 “Rookie of the Year” Award in 2010 and became the first woman to earn a podium finish on a street circuit in IndyCar.

This year she is taking the next step in her career by joining a preparation programme with the Sauber F1 Team, with the goal to gain her super licence and prepare for a race seat in Formula One for 2015. The programme will include on track testing, simulator training, as well as mental and physical preparation.

http://www.sauberf1team.com/en/season/news/detail-view/-/simona-de-silvestro-wird-affiliated-driver-des-sauber-f1-teams/

Has she got big tits?