Memory card wont respond

Tipex

I've got a 1GB memory card that has loads of pictures on it, I was scanning some pictures earlier and it failed to save one as it's full.

Now when I stick it in my computer it wont let me do anything on it, it shows the folders, even the file names, but won't show any pictures, won't let me copy, delete or move anything, the window just stops responding.

I think it's simply because it's too full, and I'm guessing it needs a small amount of 'working' space on it?

How can I delete something off of it, without deleting everything so I can get it to work again?

Sorry to break in on this thread but will this work on an 8gb Scandisk SD card do you think? Something horrible happened yesterday when I had my TomTom connected to my MacBook Pro and was doing a map update to the sd card that was in in the TomTom, the card suddenly became unreadable and now when I try and use the card in another device it says that no device is connected (i.e. the card isn't recognised at all), all my maps and other TomTom software is on the card too.

Even worse the MacBook will now not boot up and trying to do a disk repair it says that it can't be repaired, luckily have 3 years Applecare and a Genius appointment tomorrow. As I say something catastrophic happened whilst the TomTom was connected!!!

TestDisk maybe able to sort the card.

The MacBook is trying to boot from SD card, it thinks that's the boot disk but can't find it and falls over. Try the following, it won't Erase the Drive:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Hi Andy,

It's much, much worse than I thought! Went to see the Genius bloke this morning and he couldn't get the MacBook started either and said the disk image needed to be wiped and did I have a backup, as I'd been using Time Machine to back up the machine I thought I was OK and in fact a back up had just finished before it went kaput so he went ahead and wiped the disk and re-installed the OS and said he would leave the machine on the relevant screen for the restore. Unfortunately it look as though everything that was connected to the MacBook has been corrupted as the Buffalo backup device is not recognised at all so now I'm left with nothing, everything has been lost which is a disaster for us unless there is some way to get the data that's on the Buffalo off. Any ideas if that's possible.

The thing to remember is the data is always there, unless the drive is physically damaged which I very much doubt. Again, TestDisc maybe able to recover the disc for you or you can pay for professional recovery. It should be possible to recover much of data from the MBPs original hard drive, subject to how he reinstalled the O/S so don't go installing programs and surfing it as that WILL overwrite stuff.

Have you got Windows computer handy? as I could send you a program to view the disk.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Hi Andy, I really appreciate your time on this. For now the panic is over as I called the support centre with the original case # and got hold of a very helpful bloke. I explained everything that happened at the store and he said he could probably get it sorted as it looked like something in the new setup was preventing the system seeing the external drive. He guided me through half a dozen procedures, restarts etc. and managed to get the system to recognize the drive and it's doing a restore of the full backup that had just completed when the machine failed as we speak (it's going to take 3 hours or so). To say I'm relieved is an understatement but won't be entirely happy until it's all back.

As I say, thanks for the help - Top Bloke.....

Any idea if my memory card is goosed?

Having recovered the data thanks to your advice, I tried to format the SD card in the hopes it would then be ok.

The computer starts the process but then it fails, I put the card in my camera, and used the camera to format it, which seemed to work, it even took some photos and allowed me to view them etc, when I put it back in the computer, it will let me view the files, but nothing else, it still wont format the card or anything.

It's only a 1gb card, so no huge loss, but I don't want to bin it if it can be fixed, SD cards are always handy to have lying about.

Oh, and yes, I've checked the lock switch!

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...