God retires

Daz

Like I said, you may not think something is important, but other people do. If you just can't get that some people think something's important, then to be honest it shows ignorance on your part, as well as a lack of empathy.

I don't understand your need to be-little it, though.

There are many, many things that are important to me, other than health and family etc, which doubtless have no level of importance to you. Not that I give a toss anyway :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand that some people think it's important, I just don't understand why they think it is so important?

For me, the day something like football starts having an effect on peoples personal lives, then they are taking it too seriously (unless you actually are SAF, or a player etc).

I'm not sure why you'd think that I give a fück that you don't give a fück, that I give a fück? Or something.

We best not talk about the hard core fans that likely cried this morning, like anything some people take it further than others.

A home and away fan of any PL club will hit £7000 (vip £10k plus) a year in season tickets, away tickets and travel. That might seem madness and extreme, but that's the hard core supporters lot and they seem happy for it.

To them, to the wider masses and even to other supporters it is important news.

It also gives hope to 19 other PL team supporters, hope that it destabilises Man Utd for a few seasons and the truth is outed.

Man Utd are SAF, and without him they are just another PL club.

Having a better half that works for a footy club we are acutely aware of football and its influence so its important to us what happens.

As for SAF, nobody can doubt his talent as a manager and getting the best out his squad whilst also making some very very canny purchases along the way. Its interesting that many many clubs never give any manager a chance to build a club around them these days. The first 4 years at M Utd his performances was poor to average, fast forward to today and the results have been very different, lets hope other clubs learn from that.

As for its importance its all relative, as mentioned already some people see religion as everything we all have our own individual values if we were all the same it would be a very boring place.

A home and away fan of any PL club will hit £7000 (vip £10k plus) a year in season tickets, away tickets and travel. That might seem madness and extreme, but that's the hard core supporters lot and they seem happy for it.

See now this I understand, it's a hobby, a pastime, call it what you like, I can see why people would spend that sort of money, as a family we have 4 (i think) season tickets that we share and rent out if we aren't attending, the tickets pay for themselves some years if we don't attend many matches despite being among the most expensive in the PL.

What I don't understand, and never will, are those hard core 'fans' you mention, people who live their lives by a football team, the ones who were calling the phone in this morning and crying etc, I just don't get it, I'd never let a game affect me that much.

Not the least interested in football and have no axe to grind but have looked at some comments in a political blog regarding AF and there are dozens in the same vein like -

"Had it not been for football Ferguson would've been just another whining, miserable Glaswegian, face suffused by alcohol, ordering scotch and heavy in a seedy, beer and urine stinking Bridgeton bar.

As it is, however, he is a whining, miserable Glaswegian, face suffused by alcohol, ordering fine wines in upmarket restaurants.

The difference? The astonishing ability to marshall the kicking skills of international platoons of preternaturally dim, violent, priapic, knuckle-dragging thugs who would otherwise be serving custodial sentences in prisons across the globe.

So farewell, Sir Alex, you have been one of the most successful care-in-the-community probation officers we have ever known."

To answer Mook's earlier question, yes Fergie is the single constant and the single most important factor in United's success over the past couple of decades or so.

To answer those who are crying about him retiring, for f*ck's sake don't be so f*cking selfish. The man is and will always be a United legend, but be decent enough to let him have his retirement. He deserves that at the very least.

I actually pity the next Prem League winner. They'll have done it WITHOUT beating SAF or without having SAF in the race.

The mind games might still apply, but they will all know they've not done it properly, and know that they haven't had to look over their shoulder at a slow starting Utd or try to keep up with a fast finishing Utd.

You know what makes me laugh about people who slag off football/players? When England do get on a run (a bit rare these days) they all suddenly become massive football fans. Then when they're knocked out they go back to being haters again.

Watched the Chelsea v Spurs game last night. Was a great game and Spurs did well to get back to 2-2. Adebayor had an excellent game and scored a cracker.

Unfortunately The Gooners had the best result last night.

...but be decent enough to let him have his retirement. He deserves that at the very least.

But he isn't retiring. He's taking a position on the board where he can sit on the shoulder of the next manager, muttering, tutting and sucking his teeth at every decision he doesn't agree with. I really can't see him keeping his thoughts to himself after 26 years of pulling the strings.

You know what makes me laugh about people who slag off football/players? When England do get on a run (a bit rare these days) they all suddenly become massive football fans. Then when they're knocked out they go back to being haters again.

Well said. Tipex will be the first to get the flags on his car and buy his kids England strips.

I don't put flags on my car, i'm not allowed to for a start, but I don't have a problem with people who do.

Are you guys suggesting that the country shouldn't get behind their national team and show their support?

Even if they aren't usually avid football fans I can't see how people showing support is a bad thing in any way?

If anything, it's rather pathetic of people who describe themselves as fans to take that attitude, 'it's our game, you aren't allowed to like it because you don't understand it/us'.

And it's exactly that attitude that means I don't describe myself as a fan, or ever get involved in footy talk, because you end up talking to people who are either the lowest common denominator, or otherwise rational people who suddenly turn into the lowest common denominator when a game is on.

I enjoy a game, but that's all it is to me, a game.

But he isn't retiring. He's taking a position on the board where he can sit on the shoulder of the next manager, muttering, tutting and sucking his teeth at every decision he doesn't agree with. I really can't see him keeping his thoughts to himself after 26 years of pulling the strings.

Yes he's joining the board and taking a role as an ambassador. As many United greats have in the past, including Busby and Charlton. But I think both he and the club have the discipline and respect for the incumbent manager(s) not to allow any kind of back seat driving. I'll be amazed if he ever publicly criticises a United manager.

As for the whole football/England fan thing, Tipex seems to have half read a post and turned up at the wrong address... :P

Nobody is saying, "it's our game, you're not allowed to like it". What they are complaining about is the shallow minded, lemming mentality of fickle "fans" who regularly swing from vile abuse of other human beings to blind fanaticism and impossible expectation and back again in the course of a single international tournament.

I have little time for a sizeable proportion of English football fans. They are thoughtless and careless thugs who find it impossible to leave club loyalties at the door when England play and are the worst possible representatives of our country when they go abroad.

The difference? The astonishing ability to marshall the kicking skills of international platoons of preternaturally dim, violent, priapic, knuckle-dragging thugs who would otherwise be serving custodial sentences in prisons across the globe.

This is something I don't really get either. The above perfectly describes the football "fans" I'm on about. But it really doesn't describe the footballers themselves. They are dedicated, professional sportsmen who simply wouldn't make it in the professional game if they were preternaturally dim. Of course, there are several footballers with all the social morays of a rabid hyena, it's just a shame that the "fans" (being the dim ones) usually choose them as some kind of role model.

There is a great deal of snobbery about football, particularly - it seems - from rugby union followers who clearly see themselves as above a working class sport. These people seem to conveniently forget that there are at least as many dim-witted, knuckle-dragging thugs playing rugby as there are playing football.

And he's off again. Read the whole post and then reply. It'll then normally make sense... :rolleyes::P

I was responding to Luke's suggestion about non football fans slagging off the game and then all of a sudden becoming fans and sticking flags on their cars etc if England do well.

What exactly, prey tell, have I missed in that post?

The point was kind of as I tried to say in the waffle just above.

The complaint isn't a case of "how dare non-football fans suddenly come out and support our sport" but that they're a bunch of fickle idiots who will be diehard lemming fanatics one minute and slag off the game/the team/the players/everything the next.

It's the fickleness that grates, not the fact they (sometimes) support our national team.