God retires

Daz

My family, my job, my friends, anything else is just stuff.

Tipex, a lot of people use Football as a way to enjoy their relationship with their friends, people they work with, and their family. I love watching how excited my daughter gets at Twickenham, while still insisting she's not into Rugby :grin:

It's not the thing in itself, it's the fact that it's a conduit to people interacting I think.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something I don't really get either. The above perfectly describes the football "fans" I'm on about. But it really doesn't describe the footballers themselves. They are dedicated, professional sportsmen who simply wouldn't make it in the professional game if they were preternaturally dim. Of course, there are several footballers with all the social morays of a rabid hyena, it's just a shame that the "fans" (being the dim ones) usually choose them as some kind of role model.

The problem is that semi-fans like me - I enjoy footie, but I don't go out of my way for it, whereas I'd rearrange my life around a RUFC match if that makes sense - it's the knobbers who roll about laughing while trying to get people sent off that you notice. It just erodes the interest I do have into thinking the game in evolving into who can cheat the most and get away with it.

Have you? I know they cheat like feck at the breakdown, and it is a question of pushing the boundaries as close as you can, but pretending to be more hurt than you are? Can't see how that would get you anywhere in rugby.

I think it's gotten worse too. Look at that England/Wales match in the Six Nations - blatantly pulling down the scrum from angles the ref couldn't possibly see. What's more astonishing is that continually got away with it, and admitted it after the match! it was utterly bizarre.

Revolving doors garcon?

Mancini was the first and only manager appointed by the new owners. 3 and a half years he has been in his job and when you look at it, it is equal or better than many other clubs.

Man Utd having agreed a deal with Moyes have been through as many managers in that time.

Liverpool have had Hodgson, kenny, Rodgers.

Spurs have had Harry and Avb

Chelsea - cant be bothered to list the many changes

It's only the Gonners that can boast a more consistent operation.

Mancini did underachieve this season and it is probably about right that he paid with his job.

To be fair it hasn't seemed like four years. In that respect he got his chance.

However, if you look at it purely on a results basis, to sack him for finishing second and reaching a major final only a year after winning the Premiership is harsh.

Which is why I think there's more to it than that. His man-management style is suspect. A manager needs to be respected by his players, and I'm not sure they got close enough to him to do that.

I think the point is that at the first sign of an under achieving season, they fired the manager. That starts to look like the owners have no understanding of the game.

When you look at other comparisons... Chelsea and Liverpool are rightly ridiculed for their attitude to managers, and struggle to make decent appointments.

Spurs is invalid as Harry walked from that, feeling he'd done all he could, and as for United... It's laughable you'd even mention them, as SAF was always going to retire eventually, and they had a proper succession plan in place.

Remind us, how many managers have City been through since they became a rich man's vanity project? (That would include your previous owner)

Remind us, how many managers have City been through since they became a rich man's vanity project? (That would include your previous owner)

To be honest City's recent record under the Thai criminal and the Arabs is a lot better than it was under the likes of Swales. He was mental. I still remember the disbelief when he sacked Peter Reid for 'only' finishing fifth.

To be fair it hasn't seemed like four years. In that respect he got his chance.

However, if you look at it purely on a results basis, to sack him for finishing second and reaching a major final only a year after winning the Premiership is harsh.

Which is why I think there's more to it than that. His man-management style is suspect. A manager needs to be respected by his players, and I'm not sure they got close enough to him to do that.

You are correct, it's not just down to the results. The owners want a manager involved in all aspects of the club. They have invested money from top to bottom, not just on first team players.

In 3 and a half years Mancini NEVER stepped foot into the acadamy to see the youth players. It was revealed today that not once did he check on the future talent of the club. When we lost games in the second half of the season he also refused to go back to the changing room to see the players, that includes the FA cup final on Saturday.

So on the face of it I think a change was needed. So Pellegrini or Mourinho? From what I know of Pellegrini he likes to be involved in all aspects of a club (like SAF and like the owners want), he was a good manager in South America and has done well in Spain. I remember an average Villareal side getting to the 1/2 finals of the champions league and Pep said what a great manager he was when Real Madrid pushed the best Barce team of a few years ago all the way in the league.

Or it could be Rafa.........

I've just read the funniest thing ever.

"Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley's SportsDirect company website claims that the club are preparing a bid to sign Manchester United's Wayne Rooney."

Source: BBC Sportsday.

:jump:

Nothing like a bit of self-publicity :roflmao:

And as much as I can't stand Rooney, I'd rather have him connected with the club than his purple-faced c*nt of an ex-manager :P