A8 Engine ECU

Pliskin

HI all,

I have got an early A8 2005 3Lt TDI which just under 100k on it.

A few months ago a flashing icon appeared on the dash informing me of a fault with the engine ECU.

The car was and still is running fine with no noticeable faults. I took it into my local independant, James at the AudiDoctor in Stockport and Rick, the guy that does his diagnostic work said that there is a fault in one of the chips in the ECU which he can't sort out.

He has advised a replacement ECU, which he will then code to the car. Audi want the thick end of £1600 to supply and fit and wouldn't even give me the current part number for me to look around for for one, although I have now got the numbers.

All attempts to source a second hand one have been unsucessful, even though I have been told that the ECU in the A6 3lt will fit as well.

I have contacted a few ECU repair places and they are quoting £80-£100 just to look at it with no guarantee that if it is a faulty chip in the ECU that Audi will even sell them the chip to allow them to repair it.

I haven't got £1600 spare at the moment and having been advised not to drive it any distances I know have an expensive ornament sitting on my drive.

Anyone got one for sale or suggest any other course of action.

Regards to all.

Have you tried ebay and autotrader for old ECU's for both A6 & A8s?

On ebay, there is a shop called A8spares or something like that. Email them and see what they can do.

Yes I've tried Ebay but not Autorader or A8Spares, so I will give them a try. Thanks

I'm not quite sure about that diagnosis. If an ECU had a fault in one of the chips, the car wouldn't usually start at all.

I'd be interested to take a look at the problem and try to offer an alternative. We can also supply and fit second hand ECUs if required.

I'm not quite sure about that diagnosis. If an ECU had a fault in one of the chips, the car wouldn't usually start at all.

I'd be interested to take a look at the problem and try to offer an alternative. We can also supply and fit second hand ECUs if required.

Thanks for the offer, if it helps any I have been told that when the ECU was read it was showing a "check sum error".

I don't know if it has any bearing on proceedings but it was chipped by Superchips a couple of years before I bought it.

Checksum error sounds more like a bad map to me, though it could be a faulty memory block, but that would probably generate a different error.

A trip to Shark to get a decent, tried and tested map on it would be the best route.

Do maps develop faults of their own seeing as it has been on since mid 2008 with no problems?

It really is annoying seeing as the car is still pulling like a train on steroids.

Thanks for the replies everyone so far, much appreciated.