Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
News_Stig

JD Power for 2013

10 posts in this topic

I do often wonder about these surveys, as I have had loads of Alfas and Fiats with minimal problems.

Worst was a Selespeed actuator playing up... But that was done under warranty without too many dramas.

Mind you, I don't use main dealers... They really are useless. But are they worse than any others?

I still get people exclaiming that Italian cars are rot boxes... Which hasn't been the case for 20 years... So how many respondents are letting pre-conceptions colour their views?

I find it quite amazing that Skoda feature highly, VW / Seat just making top 10 and Audi not at all.

I wonder how much of this relates to dealer service and ability to actually work with customers?

Personally, I find it's more to do with peoples preconceptions of what a brand should be.

There is no reason why VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda shouldn't all be sharing the same spot, same owners, largely the same parts, same kind of service from dealers.

The only explanation I can see is that owners of Audis expect more, whereas owners of Skodas expect less, hence the results.

same owners

Seriously? I don't think so. OK, some people will, but no way do all Audi owners also have a Skoda, or vice versa, or VW owners have Skoda and vice versa etc.

same kind of service from dealers.

Absolutely not in my experience. Skoda and Seat seem to have service understood. Far removed from VW and Audi dealers, with the odd exception.

Also, isn't the value of a JD Power survey only as useful as the people who've completed it - if few Audi (for example) owners complete it, then it's not going to feature them that high, is it?

I can't say it would hold much sway for me if I was buying a new car.

I am not sure how it affects sales though. That would be of more interest.

Seriously? I don't think so. OK, some people will, but no way do all Audi owners also have a Skoda, or vice versa, or VW owners have Skoda and vice versa etc.

I don't think I was clear there, I meant the same owner as in the same parent company, i.e. VAG, so they are all governed by the same rules.

Absolutely not in my experience. Skoda and Seat seem to have service understood. Far removed from VW and Audi dealers, with the odd exception.

I think that entirely depends on where you live and the dealers near you, here, the Skoda dealers are utterly hopeless, and the Seat dealer not much better, the VW dealer is pretty average and the Audi dealer is excellent.

Also, isn't the value of a JD Power survey only as useful as the people who've completed it - if few Audi (for example) owners complete it, then it's not going to feature them that high, is it?

I don't think it works like that, i'm pretty sure they use an equal number of completed surveys for each brand, it would be totally unfair otherwise.

Regarding the people who've completed them though, I would imagine it's mostly people with a cross to bear, or pensioners with to much time praising their Honda Jazz, I can't imagine many 'average' motorists completing one, I know I couldn't ever be arśed to.

Just a quick point. Vag dealers are not governed by the same rules. I work for a VW dealership and our customer service and satisfaction scores are based differently to the Audi and Skoda ones. We have to have our showroom set out it a different way and our ethos and idea of service that is instilled into us by the brand is different having spoken to the guys at our Audi and Skoda dealerships.

Just thought you might like to know that. :grin:

So is that Audi give good service to 1 in 5 people, VW 1 in 10 and Skoda just try your best and end up being better than both?

I've only ever looked at VWs to try and purchase and found them shocking.

Lexus by comparison were brilliant for me they couldn't do enough to keep my happy. A colleague has an RX and he was genuinely staggered at the lengths they went to make sure he was happy.