2004 A8 MMI software update help!!

sizzers44

You should be OK in a 2004 car unless someone has retrofitted bluetooth (but I think that needs a newer version anyway).

The 5570 version should update from any version of the software. But do you have access to the 'secret' menu to start the update? If not, you need access to VCDS to turn that on too.

Many people think the firmware upgrade is just like a software upgrade, click a button and some random stuff gets better, but it is very different, there is a risk to doing firmware upgrades. If you lose power during the upgrade, there is a strong chance you will brick one of the components, i.e. it will only be useful as a brick, not as an electronic component. The way to fix a bricked component is to go to the Audi dealer and buy and fit a new unit, whichever one got wrecked. That is your only option, there isn't a 'back' button.

So, scary cautionary bit done, now the constructive advice - before taking the risk, I usually suggest people look at what they would get from the upgrade, then decide whether its worth taking the risk. If you keep the engine running for the hour+ it takes to upgrade a set of modules, or put the car on a good battery charger, then the risk of damage is very, very slight.

My other advice would be to ask for the price of genuine upgrade discs at your Audi dealer, mine cost something stupid like £3.50, people on ebay often charge much more than that for a copy, and, if there is a glitch on the copy, the risk of damage to one of your components increases steeply.

• 2 weeks later...

The part number for genuine MMI discs is 4L0 998 961.

When I bought mine the parts manager brought them out personally, and said 'do you know what you're doing with these', which I thought was quite nice. I confidently said 'yes I do', then went back into the forums to work out what I needed to do!