Advice on an older A4 Quattro...

sidicks

It's been a while since I last posted on here (Jan 2012 !), but I'm hoping to get some useful feedback on older A4 quattros.

As background:

I still have the 911 (997) C4S that I bought new 7 years ago, and which has been my daily driver ever since, but have now ordered a 991 GT3 and hence the C4S will be sold at some point prior to December.

Although the GT3 will be more than up to the task as a daily driver, I'm considering purchasing a second car to be used as a station car, at least over the winter period, and given my experience with Audis (previously owned an Audi S3 and my wife currently owns an A3 20.T Quattro), my thoughts have turned to a used A4 (or maybe A6) Quattro.

The cars I've seen on autotrader and ebay for around the £1000 - £2000 range have been high mileage examples (understandably) S, T, W reg and include 1.8 & 2.5 diesels and 1.8T and 2.8 petrol (plus the occasional 2.7T A6) at the top of that range.

Any advice as to the most common problems with cars of this era, and in particular any views as to whether to go A4 v A6, petrol v diesel and 1.8T v 2.8 v 2.7T v 1.9TDi v 2.5TDi etc?!

Cheers

:)

Sidicks

Nice one on the 991 GT3 order, that looks like some car. Photos as and when that arrives please.

How far is the station? For £1,000-£2,000, you can get yourself a super comfy, V8 A8 quattro (even an S8), the quality and build to this day still surprise me.

The Recaro seats will be one of the comfiest you've ever sat in, I promise you, and the V8 noise vs a 4 pot tractor will be worth the slight difference in fuel costs (assuming you're not doing mega miles)

Used AUDI S8 4.2 QUATTRO. LOVELY CONDITION INSIDE AN... for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 743347)

Thanks for your comments.

The station is around 10 miles away, so annual mileage wouldn't be huge and hence a larger engine (V8) wouldn't be out of the question, However, I'm really after something a bit more lower key (and smaller) for the station trip.

Hiya, hope you're well +++S8 with bagdes removed and 2.5TDI badge instead :)Paul (Bi Turbos) S4 went on for very good mileage until turbo failure that was a b5 A4 - probem is I think they can be prone to Turbo issues and that soon costs more than car value :(
Unless well looked after.Our a6 2.7t avant was up at 220k when we sold it. Just weeping cam gaskets provided the odd whiff of hot oil in the engine bay.My a6 2.5 tdi. Was still going at 212k, so miles - don't worry, just check condition overall.However , in your case, I'd get a big petrol V engined Audi!

• 1 month later...

Ive got a 2.5 Tdi Quatro A4 on a 51 plate which is i think on about 140000, its a fantastic car and never let me down, the 4 wheel drive is fantastic in the snow of winter and then in summer the air con works fine. It eats tyres but not to an alarming rate, power is very good at 180 BHP but i find it runs through the first few gears very quick. fuel economy is also good for a larger car at around 35 mpg

I will be selling it in the near future as we have just got a 2.0 tdi cabrio but need to remove the private plate first

I would recommend this car all day long

• 4 weeks later...
Ive got a 2.5 Tdi Quatro A4 on a 51 plate which is i think on about 140000, its a fantastic car and never let me down, the 4 wheel drive is fantastic in the snow of winter and then in summer the air con works fine. It eats tyres but not to an alarming rate, power is very good at 180 BHP but i find it runs through the first few gears very quick. fuel economy is also good for a larger car at around 35 mpg

I will be selling it in the near future as we have just got a 2.0 tdi cabrio but need to remove the private plate first

I would recommend this car all day long

Did you get my message?

If and when you're selling your car, please let be know ASAP!!

The 2.5 V6 is bulletproof. And surpsringly fast compared to the 4 pot. MrsPellypo's 2.5 A6 has 191,000 on it and still going strong.

Unfortunately that's not quite true. Camshaft problems and fuel pumps breaking are two massive problems on 2.5TDIs, and they can be expensive to maintain when it comes to cambelt changes etc. 1.9TDI 130 are usually the ones to go for and the most reliable, but quattros are rare. 1.8T Quattro can be had for under £2k and it's still a nice car. Only real problem with them is the oil pump pickup getting blocked up with crud which causes low oil pressure. A simple enough job to sort out and probably worth factoring in the cost of doing that when buying a car (approx. 3-4 hours and £20 for the pipe).

Unfortunately that's not quite true. Camshaft problems and fuel pumps breaking are two massive problems on 2.5TDIs, and they can be expensive to maintain when it comes to cambelt changes etc. 1.9TDI 130 are usually the ones to go for and the most reliable, but quattros are rare. 1.8T Quattro can be had for under £2k and it's still a nice car. Only real problem with them is the oil pump pickup getting blocked up with crud which causes low oil pressure. A simple enough job to sort out and probably worth factoring in the cost of doing that when buying a car (approx. 3-4 hours and £20 for the pipe).

Im looking at a A4 2001 A4 2.8 Avant tomorrow - any advice on possible trouble areas I should be wary of??

thad

Sidicks

I wouldn't go for a non quattro - but I'm pretty sure the non quattro 2.8 model was dropped with the facelift April 1999

Whichever engine I go for, it has to be Quattro!

Mark's car sounded ideal, but he's not been on the thread for a while so no idea whether he still wants to sell or not!!

Pics after the bank holiday when I've had chance to smarten the car up!

Can anyone help with ballpark figures for:

- pads / discs - front / rear (fitted by an Indy)

- cambelt change

- LCD screen replacement (missing pixels problem)

Is there a list of option codes (and what they mean) in the handbook so I can understand the complete spec of the car?

Thanks

Sidicks

Usually a sticker in the engine bay / under bonnet / wheel well.

Options code wise: VW Group Option Codes Decoder

If you can remove it yourself, Shark 90 will be able to repair / replace the pixelated DIS

Thanks for this - I remembered there was a member on here who was often posting about electronic issues, stereo upgrades etc, and the name does sound vaguely familiar!

I doubt I'll be able to remove the DIS so I'll have to travel to him.

On a related note, I think the car has the TV option as part of the Sat Nav, but assume that is analogue only.

If its a cheap upgrade to digital I might get that done at the same time - there's probably done other upgrades worth considering?!

Probably not worth it tbh on RNSD, the screen is shocking compared to the later RNSE. Craigyb is your man for RNSE / Digital TV in motion. 99% sure Canbus is required to run RNSE iirc (Craig could confirm this 100%). Canbus came in with 2000 MY (confusingly not with the April 1999.5 facelift), all B5 RS4s can accept RNSE, so your 2001 would be fine. Easiest check is that cars with a digital clock on the rev counter run Canbus, whereas cars with analogue clock don't.

Here's what i found using our decoder link:

E0A = No special edition

4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation

6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated

5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex

6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical, large viewing field

1KD = Disc brakes, rear

J0L = Battery 340 A (70 Ah)

1LB = Disc brakes, front

1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)

1BE = Sports suspension/shock absorption

3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)

5MF = Decorative aluminum inserts

7X0 = Without park distance control

4R3 = Power windows with comfort operation

F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment

0L2 = Electric throttle actuation

8GL = Alternator 120 A

0G1 = Gearshift lever

0YR = Weight range 16 installation control only, no requirement forecast

0JG = Weight category front axle weight range 7

T7F = 6-cylinder gasoline engine 2.8 L unit 078.2

3NZ = Rear seat bench unsplit, backrest split folding

8JK = Ellipsoidal headlight for driving on the left

U1D = Instrument insert w/ mph speedo, clock, tachometer, trip odometer and additionalinstruments (voltage, oil temperature)

X2B = National sales program Great Britain

2PV = Leather trimmed sports steering wheel

8Q1 = Headlight-range adjustment

9Q2 = Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control

8Z5 = Not hot country

MT1 = 6-cyl. gasoline engine 2.8 L/142 kW 30V base engine is T7F

7Q2 = Navigation system with color screen

C1L = Alloy wheels 5.5J x 15

7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light

4X1 = Side air bag front

2K1 = Reinforced bumpers

6R2 = Leather gearshift boot

3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats

3Y0 = Without roll-up sun screen

4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking

5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz

1SA = Without additional front underbody guard

Q1D = Sports front seats

4GP = Windshield in heat-insulating glass withsunshield and viewing window for vehicleidentification number

Thanks!