Advice on an older A4 Quattro...

sidicks

Wheels sound a bit small - no doubt its on the evergreen five spoke 16" comps

Yes, it has 16" wheels - look like the 5 spoke competition wheels to me.

It's gonna need new tyres fairly soon, but I'm hoping to keep the existing ones until October when I will get a set of winter tyres for it and then replace the winter tyres with new summer tyres in Feb / March.

Any suggestions for make of tyres (205/55 16")?

:)

Or do what Nik W did on his 2.5 TDi quattro - still winters on the 16" comps and put 17" summers on. B5 S4 17s are stupidly cheap, I bought a manky set of five for 130 as my winter wheels, Nik lucked out on a set of Positano 17s in good condition for 200 quid

Winter tyres wise you cannot go wrong with Vredestein.

Or do what Nik W did on his 2.5 TDi quattro - still winters on the 16" comps and put 17" summers on. B5 S4 17s are stupidly cheap, I bought a manky set of five for 130 as my winter wheels, Nik lucked out on a set of Positano 17s in good condition for 200 quid

Winter tyres wise you cannot go wrong with Vredestein.

Ths is meant to be my cheap station car - I need to be saving £££ to spend on the GT3, not tarting up the station car!!

But for £150 or so.....

;)

Keep your eyes peeled for some second hand winters then! +++

From memory Nik got a second hand set of 16" Vredestein Quatrac tyres to put on 16" comps that came on his car, then he bought a set of Positano 17s for about 200 which included two half decent Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics. All he had to do was buy another two new Goodyears to match. Bargain!

Yours would look fab with a set of B5 S4 Avus 17s though! You've already got 'S' detailing like the steering wheel and badge.

My B5 17s ready to go on

WP_000140.jpg

Here's a 1.8 TqS on S4 17s

5u2eqa6e.jpg

Edited by Ian_C

Give Dean at 4rings a shout on the mechanical bits. number is on his website, he's based in dartford but does mobile work too +++

Yes - I've recommended Dean to a work colleague in the past, and have sent him an email request for indicative pricing on some 'standard' items, so can compare against what the garage would charge for this work.

Unfortunately that's not quite true. Camshaft problems and fuel pumps breaking are two massive problems on 2.5TDIs, and they can be expensive to maintain when it comes to cambelt changes etc. 1.9TDI 130 are usually the ones to go for and the most reliable, but quattros are rare. 1.8T Quattro can be had for under £2k and it's still a nice car. Only real problem with them is the oil pump pickup getting blocked up with crud which causes low oil pressure. A simple enough job to sort out and probably worth factoring in the cost of doing that when buying a car (approx. 3-4 hours and £20 for the pipe).

Yes i apologise, i was generalising based on personal experience as no problems with camshafts or fuel pump after 195k on the one I have. The key is good maintenance, like any car I guess. Cambelt cost me £580 which included thermostat, water pump and aux belts. Seemed sensible to change these when front end was off, but they weren't showing any signs of wear when changed believe it or not. Neither was the Cambelt to be honest.