Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
varcolac1987

Audi a8 3.0 tdi 2005 engine choke

17 posts in this topic

i have a audi a8 3.0 tdi quattro 2005 and i have the folowing problem.....when i whant to start the car sometimes before it starts on the first spin of the engine its chokes like is geting blocked then it spins the engine after it starts it makes a bit of noise for about 2 seconds ...i had it diagnosed and no error come up......the car drives like a dream full power....should i be worried?please does anyone know's anything about this?thank you

Edited by varcolac1987

Sounds like it could well be the starter motor, if it's missing a tooth it cause the noise and the spinning.

I've had that, years ago. Could be the starter or the ring that it engages which is missing a tooth. Whip the starter off and take a look, fingers crossed as that's the easy one to fix.

No it's unlikely to be related, the smoke is probably normal, most diesels do especially if you put your foot down.

My one it takes a blue white smoke out not black and it smells bad....is that normal?it only smokes for about 40 seconds 1 minute.....

So it smokes when you cold start it, or all the time when you start it? But only for up to a minute?

Could be many things, leaky injectors can cause that, as they drip into the cylinders over night, could be turbo oil seals, really it needs looking at by a professional i'd say.

Even when the engine is hot it still smokes for about 1minute from time to time

Could be many things then, valve stem seals, turbo, piston rings, etc etc.

Sorry for being a pain in the neck but do u think the starter can have anything to do with the smoke????

I don't think so no, it's not something that is internal to the engine, so no way of creating smoke out if the exhaust.

The strange thing is that I had 3 diagnoses on it and it shows no error at all.... The car is "clean".....

righ i got the starter changed....and the problem with the noise was the 2 tensioners in the back of the engine....now when i start it it starts faster but i can still feel it sometimes at the first spin that it chokes....the mecanic sayd that he needs to strip down the whole engine to find out what is happening...i had it diagnosed in 8 different places absolutely no error....any ideas? and the car does not smoke anymoore.....thank you