New BMW 435i M Sport

Andy_Bangle

The M Sport package seen here is fitted on the 435i that utilizes BMW's 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged straight-six churning out 306PS (302bhp), which can accelerate the coupe to 100km/h (62mph) from standstill in 5.4 seconds with a 6speed manual, 5.1 seconds with the 8sp automatic and in 4.9 seconds when fitted with the xDrive all-wheel drive system (no word with which transmission).

While there are no changes under the hood, what the M Sport kit brings to the 4-Series is a an M-style body kit with unique front and rear bumpers, side skirts, black window trims and different wheels, plus a lowered sports suspension, sports seats, wheel and manual gearbox shifter, and interior trim.

post-2214-137914499364_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914499368_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914499371_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914499375_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914499379_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is anything like the 6 series. However, I do think it looks very nice indeed.

The performance of that is also very impressive. 4.9s with AWD? What will the Audiphiles say now? From the 35i too.

But.

I do wish they'd drop those bloody awful interior highlight options. They are absolutely hideous.

The performance of that is also very impressive. 4.9s with AWD? What will the Audiphiles say now? From the 35i too.

I'm not an Audiphile, but I'd say the cheaper 3 litre, 6 cylinder, AWD Audi S5 coupe has the same 0-62 time as the 3 litre, 6 cylinder, AWD BMW 4 series coupe :crackpipe:

I'm under no illusion the only reason the S5 accelerates so quickly in a straight line is 4 wheel drive rather than anything special about the car or me. Especially me :roflmao:

I'm not a Audi fanboy, you know how close I came to getting an M3 [a coat if paint, in fact]. All I was saying (in a roundabout way) was stick similarly powered AWD German coupes side by side, and the results are going to be pretty similar. Only my seats are faaaar nicer :roflmao:

I know you're not, but you can be assured they're out there thinking of a million and one reasons as to why an AWD car is now not such a big deal.

But in some ways they are, but for reasons that appeal to owners of AWD. They appeal to me because of what they offer in weather other dry and flat. Live around here in winter and you'll know what I mean. They also reduce the risk of 300+ bhp catapulting you into a hedge when talent exceeds ambition. I'm more than happy to admit, unlike many on here I guess, that my driving isn't up to Ayrton Senna's standards.

As a side note, doesn't AWD in a 435 kinda defeat the purists' argument that BMWs are the driver's choice, the choice of those who think the rear wheel drive experience is king? #devilsadvocate

As a side note, doesn't AWD in a 435 kinda defeat the purists' argument that BMWs are the driver's choice, the choice of those who think the rear wheel drive experience is king? #devilsadvocate

Yes - sort of. However, I think the bigger argument is that BMW make cars that offer more feedback, and that they still achieve that with their AWD offerings that have been available outside of the UK for a long time. I'd be reluctant to switch from RWD though. I just like it (and I've changed before and wanted it back).

My main dislike for AWD comes from when they let go. In RWD I've always known when a car is about to go. You get a feel for the edge and can run it without any worries, because there is that particular twitch, the back end communication and the ever so slight snap. That gives you a chance. I don't think my driving skills are good enough to catch an AWD car if it was to let go - because in my experience it happens in a very different way. When it goes - it is gone. There may be drivers on here with the skills to recover it, but I know I wouldn't be able to, yet I'd feel confident of getting most RWD losses back (given the conditions to re-establish grip).

Modern Audi's have a rear bias in normal driving - it's a feeling I like, and I need all wheel drive where I live, which is at the bottom of a valley in a one road in, one road out village and I have a drive like a mountain pass.... A heavy frost used to defeat my 911....

X Drive now offers me another brand I will try as I don't want another SUV but do require an estate sadly as I think the 4 series is a looker.

It all depends on the car, I'm no Sebastian Vettel by a long shot, but some AWD cars are just as communicative and easy to recover, and some RWD cars are lethal with snap oversteer that is verging on impossible to recover for the likes of us.

Prime examples include the S2000 and revision 1 mk2 MR2's.

It's all down to the individual car and varies so much I don't think it's possible to ever say AWD cars can get you into trouble or RWD are easier to recover.

Hmm, not sure i'd agree with that, the Subaru is famed for tank slappers, but I find the edge of grip very easy to find, and usually get a slight 4 wheel drift which is easy to recover from by simply lifting off slightly, if you get silly and throw it about to get the back out, you'll get the tank slapper though.

I guess it's down to the individual as much as the car and what signals we each do and don't react to.

a slight 4 wheel drift which is easy to recover from by simply lifting off slightly

:eek:

That could be why RWD enthusiasts find them difficult, lifting would be counter-intuitive if you are used to controlling the slide of a RWD car.