Vag 1.9tdi lumps

drumstick

Hi everyone. As some of you may have read I'm to off load my V8 A6 for a diesel, and was looking at either a golf or an A3. Now I'm swaying towards a VW passat estate or an A4 avant. I really think i will regret not having the load space when I need it!

But what is puzzling me is that it seems like ( from pics of car ads) that the larger cars have an inline engine yet I thought they were all FWD. The golf and A3 definitely have a transverse lump and the photos off the A4 and passat are saying inline.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this for me?

Are they inline and are they still front wheel drive?

if they are inline wont the cam belt change be a pain in the arse?

Cheers. Mat

Yes they are inline and front wheel drive, same basic engine though, and if anything it makes the cam belt swap easier as it's at the front of the car instead of buried at the side.

Audi A6, VW Passat, Skoda Superb, all the same.

Yes they are inline and front wheel drive, same basic engine though, and if anything it makes the cam belt swap easier as it's at the front of the car instead of buried at the side.

Audi A6, VW Passat, Skoda Superb, all the same.

Thanks for the reply tipex, is the engine mounted further forward( of the axle) to allow the drive shafts a simple route to the wheels or is it some complicated set up?

The engine is mounted further forwards than normal, it's the old Audi trick and accounts for the generally understeery nature of those cars.

It doesn't really present any problems though, as you don't buy 1.9 diesel engined saloon/estate cars to set lap times, they are still very competent cars.

The belt change (despite what Tipex says) is a ball ache on those cars - access is superb, once you've taken the entire front end of the car off to get to it.

Have you ever done one? thought not.

According to the mechanic who did my Superb all those years ago, you don't need to take the front off, only the radiator, and he was doing all our taxis at the time, be they Superbs or Passats, and the bill was less than for transverse engined cars due to less labour.

If you know what you're doing, the T-Spark belts are still a pain in the arse, if you don't, forget it.

Maybe the tdi lumps have more clearance then, but all he did was pop the radiator assembly out, and with a bit of fiddling around the front crossmember, changed the whole caboodle.