The 2013/14 Transfer rumour thread

billy2shots

A bit of perspective to balance out Twinspark's hysterical dummy throwing:

(From @david_conn)

It's true: the day Premier League transfer spend exceeded £610m, Kettering Town have been wound up, for £70k owed to bust Rushden & Diamonds

That just sums up everything that's wrong with football. I'm becoming completely disillusioned by it all. 100m euros for a better than average, but not amazing, player from Spurs, ffs... whilst at the other end, £70k sends a club under.

And we have a bunch of yank fraudsters ripping the club off to the extent that signing Sideshow Bob is seen as a success.

He was hardly going to say they were taking all the cash, was he? - he had a job and I presume pension that he wanted to hold onto.

We've survived on a shoestring and the genius of Fergie since the Glazers arrived - take Fergie away and the whole deck of cards will come crashing down.

I'm sure that, with the Ronaldo money, and even after this transfer window, we're still in credit on transfer dealings since the Glazers arrived.

It is well known, through various very well respected sources, that the club have transfer reserves in cash of £100m if the Manager wants it. If you think Ferguson spent 8 years towing the line for a pension then I'm stunned.

I shall say it again - this team won the league, and easily.

It has been strengthened. They've lost one game by a single goal. Yet you're predicting doom? Seriously, it is ludicrous.

Plus, would you rather we went out and paid ridiculous sums of money for players by being held to ransom? I wouldn't.

Where as paying £4mil more for Fellaini than you could have done a few weeks back when he had a release clause is a great bit of business.

Fellaini has signed. Confirmed.

Ah, there's that creative spark utd have been missing.

How much?

£4mil too much......

Confirmed:

Manchester United have signed Fabio Coentrao from Real Madrid (season long loan deal).

Confirmed: Utd couldn't get the Coentrao deal over the line.

Nope, no one thinks Utd are a laughing stock. We all marvel at the big red machine that any player would dream of playing for.

Before the deal fell through Ander would have been Utd's record signing. Now their record remains less than Chelsea, City, Arsenal,Spurs and Liverpool.

Utd fans will argue thats a good thing and they don't need to spend huge to win things. The truth is the Utd management have been trying to do big deals for years but keep failing. I said a few weeks back Utd need need to accept that players don't feel the same way about that club as a decade ago and if you want to sign that top player you have to act accordingly.

My 2p's worth, Arsenal and Utd got it the wrong way round. Swap side show bob for Ozil and then both teams would have done good business imho.

United cantered to the title last year. With every single player in the current squad. Now they've added to it.

I'm not really a Fellaini fan but it does give us something extra. Yes, I'd have liked Herrera, but yet again we find ourselves with the prophets of doom predicting the downfall. Why don't people learn? It will not happen. Ferguson is still going to be reasonably active at the club and let's be honest Billy, City have looked pretty average so far and certainly not what most City fans would have expected (Ferdnandinho or whatever he's called has looked awful). You've been unlucky with the injury to Navwotsit who looked exceptional pre-season, I'll give you that.

Chelsea have looked average. Arsenal's signing of Ozil doesn't change what they needed either. Liverpool have simply paid massive amounts of money for players nobody had heard of!

I agree the £27.5m looks a lot for Fellaini. If we win the title again, it'll pale into insignificance. Let's not forget United did bid for Ozil - and said £42m was too much, offering around £34m.

Anyone with any degree of sense knows that when it comes to April/May - United will be there challenging for the title again.+++

:jump: Ozil is a brilliant signing. Half the price of Bale and twice the player :grin:

January is close enough if we pick up a few injuries on the way.

I look forward to seeing how Moyes does with this squad. True that ManYoo easily won last season, but that was before Man Sh1tty, Chavs and Tiny Totts spend £300m between them. Oh, and the small matter of Fergie. He could win the league with Everton, never mind any other tin pot that Moyes hadn't been able to manage so far. Welcome to the Race for the Top Four MrMe +++

/Banter

I think we need a Premier League prediction thread...

Was anyone else listening to Colin Murray on Talksport about 20 minutes ago? Embarrassing in his defence of Man U. Had to laugh at his genuine enthusiasm for Fellaini's ability to chest a ball down, "he does it more times in 1 match than any other premier league team does in a month".

Oh well, almost £30m was a bargain then :roflmao:

I had to agree with the panel though, their transfer activity after all the posturing has been woefully embarrassing.

It just gets better and better.

So we know about the 3 imposters in the Bilbao offices pretending to be Utd officials.

That however wasn't what cost Utd the signing of Ander Herrera. Due to this incident Utd were given special allowances and had an extra hour to do the deal.

Get this, you couldn't make this sh1t up if you tried.

Utd decide instead of paying the agreed £30.5m buy out close they would start to negotiate a lower offer.

WTF are they on, seriously SAF must be embarrassed at the transfer dealings this summer.

MrMe we do know Utd will be there or there a outs at the end of the season but please allow us this little bit of fun as we are not used to things like this happening at your club. Even you must admit your transfer dealings have been a joke this closed season.

The biggest mystery to me, as the dust settles on another transfer window, is still ... why the fúck does anybody listen to TalkSport? It's SH!T!!

Best business of the window by far is Tottenham, even if half the players they've signed turn out to be rubbish. AVB's problem is going to be that finishing outside the top four will be seen as failure. They can do it, but it's still going to be tough.

Navas and Negredo are arguably the two best individual signings. But much needs to change at City for them to become title winners after the shambles Mancini left behind. It's a big ask for Pellegrini to put it all right in his first year, even if he does have the best squad.

Some good signings by Mourinho, especially Schurrle. Eto'o is clearly a short term fix but he'll probably do a decent job. I still don't fully understand why Mourinho doesn't like one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, or why United didn't appear to even attempt to sign him.

Liverpool have been quietly impressive. Some astute signings, kept Suarez and offloaded a lot of dross. Couple that with a good start and they've given themselves an outside chance of top four.

It was always going to be difficult for United, with a new manager and Chief Exec starting on 1 July. Ferguson and Gill had usually all but concluded their summer business by then. The constant media noise coming from the club about bids for targets that turned the club down was embarrassing - another advantage of doing business early is that it's easier to do it behind closed doors without the media glare. The public pursuit of Fabregas was ridiculous. Fellaini will bring something extra, I'm just not entirely sure what. I'm also not sure how he'll feel about clearly being some way down the list of midfield targets - that's the only logical explanation for doing the deal so late for 4 million more than it should have been. United are also left with precious little cover at left back. Keeping Rooney is a positive, and more importantly not selling him to another Premiership club.

I'm not sure why Arsenal fans are so jubilant. Ozil is a great signing, but they needed (and had the money for) three or four, in particular a striker. They may have improved their chances of top four, but not by much.

Arsenal's chance creation was low last season. Bringing in the best chance creator in Europe solves that +++

At worst we have Walcott and Podolski as second choice Strikers, as their positions are now covered for. CB is the biggest problem - Only three plus a makeshift Sagna.

Otherwise, it's jubilation/ relief :)

I don't think they've been a joke, but I'm not going to try to say I think it has been a resounding success. :roflmao:

The Herrera details coming out do make me cringe a little. The guy is going to be worth double the fee required in 2-3 years if most reports are to be believed. From what I've seen at him he looks like a true world class player (in development). So yes he's the one I'd have liked them to not mess about with, especially as the guy said he wanted to come to United too. I don't understand how that deal didn't happen.

But hey, we had the Ronaldhino debacle a decade or more ago when Ferguson wanted to kill Kenyon.

That is legendary in the league of feck-ups.

The deal had actually been done. The price agreed. The player was ready to move to United. We'd dealt at £30m. Peter Kenyon then discovered Barca had backed out at £27m. So when the confirmation fax was sent he did it at £28m, despite having agreed to pay £30m. PSG took major offence at this. They told Kenyon the deal was off. So Kenyon rang them and re-faxed a £30m bid - but PSG said he'd broken an agreement and they didn't want to deal with him!

United were en route to the USA. Ferguson left Manchester having been told the deal had been done, which it had at that time. When the plane landed, he rang to ask when Ronaldhino could join up with the team.

Kenyon avoided his call for 6 hours until being forced to take it when Ferguson said he'd be on the next flight back if "the b*stard doesn't ring me now".

Two months later, Kenyon left the club. Ferguson has always denied saying he asked for him to be sacked or threatened to resign, but the evidence suggests otherwise!

When you look back at decades of board level mismanagement at the club, it makes the success under Ferguson all the more remarkable.

Any Untied fan complaining about things now needs to think back a couple of decades to the time the mental meat pie salesman nearly sold the club to Michael Knighton for £10M.

Arsenal's chance creation was low last season. Bringing in the best chance creator in Europe solves that +++

What appears to be falling on deaf ears is why they've let him go - he has had a terrible pre-season and a very poor start to this years La Liga campaign. He has been their worst player by far.

Reports say he wanted to stay but Ancelotti said he wasn't trying enough. I find the latter hard to believe for any German, but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Arsenal.

Mata would never be sold to United. Plus, I believe he'd already gone on record as saying that he didn't want to play for another Premier League club.

I disagree that Liverpool's signings are impressive. Mignolet, yes, but the rest are players nobody else was really interested in and they'll offload most of them to clubs in the lower half next year - as they always do.

I'd have rather Rooney had gone. He's got no loyalty and anyone who thinks he chose to stay at United because he loves the club is mad. He's got no affinity with it at all. I don't care if he's a talent we couldn't lose - if he doesn't want to play for us, I don't want him. If he only wants to play when he's guaranteed a first team place, regardless of how crap he'd been last year, then again I don't want him to play for the club. I'll watch with interest to see how he does, but I fully expect him to want to leave again before too long.

I think Spurs have signed some superb players, but I was surprised how poorly they played at Arsenal. It'll take time for them all to bond and play together properly, but when they do they'll be a serious threat to anyone.

Alcantara started our summer transfers off badly. He'd been No.1 target for a long time and that was a major blow. After that it has been a case of any reason after another, but I didn't expect Fabregas to leave Barca.

I'll be here in May, to scoff about our 21st title, though. :grin:

Edited by MrMe

Any Untied fan complaining about things now needs to think back a couple of decades to the time the mental meat pie salesman nearly sold the club to Michael Knighton for £10M.

This. ^

There is nothing to complain about. We're 3 games in to a new season and have lost one game (as have City despite all their new players). Moyes is a superb manager who will bring top level trophies to Old Trafford.

If fans expect the same as we had with Ferguson then they're deluded. If we never win another trophy I really couldn't give a toss. Football isn't about winning trophies. It's about the anticipation, excitement, thrill of a goal, lows of a defeat, raging about a decision (Andre Mariner, take note), shouting at the TV and it ruining or making your entire week. If you won all the time it'd be as boring as hell after a while.

I will not come out with the rest of the Glory Hunters in criticism of the board or Moyes. Not now and not for a few years yet. Ferguson had 5 years to develop this monster of a winning machine. Moyes is being touted for the sack by some after 3 months. Shameful.

I think Rooney would have moved if Man U could have found a replacement. I think that's the only reason he hasn't. He will score a boat-load of goals this season and move whenever a replacement can be sourced - Jan or next summer.

You can't really base a whole season on a few pre season games. Ozil will be a great. Real Madrid needed to shift a player for a large fee. He was the least needed since they've just got Isco.

With regard to Rooney, there is no loyalty in either direction between the player and club and there should be none from the fans. As long as he performs while he's still there I couldn't care less how soon he leaves. And unless there is some kind of epiphany in his relationship with Moyes, I now expect the club to decide the time of his departure, not Rooney.