My boy's new bike

Mort

My boy (15) has been doing track days for 2 years now and he's doing great. He loves it and we have great days out together. He's my ultimate track day buddy. He loves mechanics and how the bike works and my garage is kept cleaner than I could ever manage. At the moment he's growing at a ridiculous rate so we've decided to move on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=49115&d=1376745662

Its a tricky job moving from his existing bike to something little bigger but not too big. He needed more power we wanted something not too heavy so he could focus on corner speed (something he's getting very good at). I was chatting to a guy at a trackday a couple of months back who had a Aprilia RS250. Next thing this chap offers him a ride on his bike. I was a bit nervous as its a big jump from 35bhp to near 70 but it went well and we've been on the hunt for one ever since.

So we found this one and bought it today.

attachment.php?attachmentid=49116&d=1376745687

Its a bit of a gamble because I haven't actually seen the bike (its in Christchurch NZ and I'm in Auckland) but we'll see. There are lots of 250/400 4 strokes and other 2 strokes around but I think these are the best. Proper adjustable suspension, brembo brakes. Really nice polished alloy frame. 130kg with 70BHP. Low mileage (9800kms). Arrow pipes so it'll sound good. The best 2 stroke 250 ever made I think. Actually I cant wait to ride this myself.

post-5207-137914501915_thumb.jpg

post-5207-137914501919_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its arrived. It was quite dirty when we got it but underneath was fine. The engine sounds OK but didnt idle well (carbs need a clean). The bike is a 2001 and has done 10,000 ks. We're doing a full end to end service to get it up to scratch. Tyres, forks, brakes, all fluids, carbs off. Exhausts repainted, convert to pre-mix etc etc Quite a mission. From that perspective its perfect because he likes working on bikes. I just supervise...

Lovely bike to have though. Very neat.

49151d1377741162-my-boys-new-bike-2.jpg

49152d1377741180-my-boys-new-bike-rs250.jpg

post-5207-137914502051_thumb.jpg

post-5207-137914502056_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mort

Fantastic bikes... a proper race bike made road legal.

Saw an RGV250 the other day and it sent me back (eek!) 20 years to my early biking days. Nothing quite like a 2-stroke.

Have fun getting it all sorted together, what a great way to spend quality time with your son +++

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add an update. Put quite a bit of work in to the bike over the past 2 weeks. It cleaned up nice. New tyres. Brakes stripped and cleaned up. Carbs and power valves done. Brake fluid, gearbox oil. Coolant changed (Discovered some idiot poured 2 stroke oil in the coolant res.). Really impressed with the overall condition of the bike. Authentic and unmolested.

Took it for a 100 mile blast on Sunday. Really blown away by it. First time I've ridden a two stroke sports bike. I've always had 200+kg sports bikes so to ride something like this really takes some re-calibration. Its plenty fast enough for the road but the way it handles is brilliant. So agile and quick to turn. You can turn so late and fast. For the first half of the ride I was turning way too early and correcting several times. Such a sweet bike though. A real joy to ride. We're booked for a track day on the 21st so looking forward to that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=49219&d=1378771234

attachment.php?attachmentid=49218&d=1378771226

post-5207-137914502615_thumb.jpg

post-5207-13791450262_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First trackday with the bike was on Saturday. Got the bike well set up for him. New tyres and tyre warmers. He was fast straight off the bat. Previously he was doing 1:35s at this track. He dropped that to about 1:24 or less which I found pretty amazing. Almost at my pace but he was actually faster because his corner speed and late braking meant he could pick off other riders (and me) at will. 

It wasn't all good though. In the last session of the day it started to rain. A fact which he just ignored and he continued to fearlessly ride at the same pace. I was following but couldn't get by to slow him down a bit. The powerband kicked in on a damp patch and he went down. He wasn't hurt but he was a bit upset. The bike was a scratched a bit but proved to be very crash resilient. (Wish all fairings were made like this)  So a lesson was learned there.

In all, a great day. I'm blown away by his riding. I knew one day he would be faster than me. I just didnt expect that day to be so soon.

A vid of the crash. 

So a lesson was learned there.

A hard lesson,

He appears to be on the gas nice and early but he doesn't seem to stand the bike up at all when he does so. I guess on lower powered bikes it doesn't matter but getting the fat part on the ground will definitely make a difference as the power increases.

Having said that I know my current road tyres reckon you have a bigger contact patch when leaned over than when up right but I guess it depends how far you go.

Glad he's ok. Did he have a chance to get back on and put it to the back of his head?

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd add an update. Summer of course down here so track day season is full on. Bike and rider going well. His lap times are getting quite good now and would do well in the F3 class here. Small improvements here and there would see him near the top. He fancies a go at racing (which is a big financial commitment for me)  but he's equally happy trackdaying. I've just ordered a new Nitron custom made rear shock for him which should make a difference as the existing one is not great...

Had a good time at a day organised by Honda the other week. Arron Slight (ex Superbike rider) was there to help out.. and had a few good scraps with Dylan....

• Like 1

Wow.  Impressive!  I love to see kids doing stuff like this.  I think it gives them something to really get their teeth stuck into and a sense of competition and pride. +++

This.

His riding is coming along brilliantly.  At this rate you'll be packing him off to Spain in 18 months time  +++

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This week I finally finished my son's Aprilia RS250 to with some graphics.  Other mods include :

- Nitron Rear 2 way shock. 
- Ohlins steering damper 
- Arrow Carbon pipes 
- Wossner single ring pistons 
- Tyga rear sets 

Sadly it has to be sold as my garage is full and he's moved on to a 600 now so there's not much chance it will be used again. Such a brilliant little bike though...

Anyway, a few pics...

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

His new bike at the track last week...

11038151_10153198596483623_4408136938483

10981293_10153198596478623_4586859881022

Edited by Mort
  • Like 3

Great stuff - how's he finding the shift to the 600?

If you weren't in NZ I'd have the Ape off you just to have in the garage next to the RSV4 - the wife would love that  :)

* runs off to investigate freight charges and associated import taxes * ...........

Great stuff - how's he finding the shift to the 600?

If you weren't in NZ I'd have the Ape off you just to have in the garage next to the RSV4 - the wife would love that  :)

* runs off to investigate freight charges and associated import taxes * ...........

Its all about the smile James... he was finding the 250 hard to push on. Its a peaky little bugger with low weight and snapper power which wasnt helped by the fact that he is 50kgs wet through. When I ride my ...er...inertia... calms it down and its joyful but for him its like riding a superbike. The 600 is altogether a smoother proposition....easy power more weight more stability and the smiles are back.

That makes sense - the difference in the power delivery characteristics must be monumental.  I imagine my frame might have the same calming effect on the 250  ;)

Oh my, shipping is only circa £600.  Must stop thinking about how cool the garage would look  :secret:

Calm down .... have patience.... the RSV4 will be with you soon....

£600 is a bargain... the reason its interesting is cos there's a steady flow of bikes in NZ which are an absolute steal which are worth far more in UK ....RC30s etc...

I could start an Aprilia history of sports bike collection  :grin:

That is interesting re the cost of bikes there.  The old two strokes are going bonkers price wise at the moment - RGV's etc.  But an RC30 would be very special indeed

Edited by Busby