Waylander

Roomy Saloon not as dull as a Passat? (looking for options from A4)

111 posts in this topic

Personally I think if you go for the BMW first, the Jag will be a bit if a disappointment.

That's not to say they aren't great cars, they are, I'd love one, but BMW simply make the best engines.

And T-spark, Tchibo, If that wasn't the most ridiculously confused chain of shops I've ever seen I don't know what is, it's no wonder they aren't around any more (are they?).

And T-spark, Tchibo, If that wasn't the most ridiculously confused chain of shops I've ever seen I don't know what is, it's no wonder they aren't around any more (are they?).

Not around in the UK - but absolutely fecking massive in Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland... and many other places (sounds like a 2nd World War invasion plan!). Turnover 10 Billion Euros a year - and own 50% of Biersdorf, aka Nivea.

Once you got your head around the concept, the products are actually very good - and anything electrical had a 3 year warranty.

The cafe service business is still around - they're a big player in supplying coffee and 'bean to cup' machines to hotels, restaurants etc.

Off-topic, but Tchiba were one of the rare good shops that appeared in Dunstable before I left. It's a mobile phone shop now.

Personally I think if you go for the BMW first, the Jag will be a bit if a disappointment.

I expect the cars at this level to all have a minimum certain ride - I was/am perfectly happy with the A4 even though at the time I ceded the 320 had a better engine. Why? Better cabin.

I felt like a pilot behind the wheel of that Jag.

Are you saying the bodywork is different between the SE and Msport too?

Yes, more aggressive front and rear bumpers, usually 30mm lower suspension, often different sill trims and shadowline exterior trim instead of chrome, different interior trim and the sport seats with inflatable bolsters.

[ATTACH]49147[/ATTACH]

Only picture of my 535d I could find. (Surrey Rolling Road)

post-9898-137914502039_thumb.jpg

Yes, more aggressive front and rear bumpers, usually 30mm lower suspension, often different sill trims and shadowline exterior trim instead of chrome, different interior trim and the sport seats with inflatable bolsters.

A bit like Elegance and Avantgarde in the E-class?

You can spot those differences a mile off!

I would avoid the 2.0 litre bmw diesel engine the N47 is getting a rep for eating engines due to timing chain failures, only found out after buying my 1 series

I would avoid the 2.0 litre bmw diesel engine the N47 is getting a rep for eating engines due to timing chain failures, only found out after buying my 1 series

I remember seeing that on Watchdog.

Oh dear well that may be a problem.

On a nationwide hunt for an "up to 4 years old" 5 series upto my price-point I see 523 otherwise all 520Ds

I thought this was an issue only with the early version of that engine, not the later ones?!?!

On the basis that I see fúcking millions of them every single day, making them almost certainly the most successful diesel car engine on the market, I reckon most of them were either fixed or never had the problem. I really wouldn't let it put you off.

Oh dear well that may be a problem.

On a nationwide hunt for an "up to 4 years old" 5 series upto my price-point I see 523 otherwise all 520Ds

Try this:-

Used BMW 5 SERIES 3.0L Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK

upto £14K?

As you say, noting came up on the 525 front.

I don't think the 25d engine uses any less fuel (in real terms) to the 30d.

Oh.

Changing it to 'up to 80K' leaves 7, of which 4 are manuals. That is a big surprise to me.

still complaints of noisy chains on 2012 models although bmw claim they are no longer likely to snap just rattle like an old truck, from late 2009 they made changes but still the way bmw are dealing with the issue doesnt instill confidence, just look on babybmw.net or one of the other dedicated bmw forums, I have decided not to let it worry me and just enjoy my car as all of the failures seem to be at 80k and beyond and my car has only done 30k, but will be serviced every year rather than on demand and I keep turning off the stop/start to reduce the strain on the chain

Be a bit different and look at a Mazda 6. Not the brand new model (which is really very nice!), but the model before. I think it was the Tekna spec (or something like that) that had everything on it. Sits within your price range, good size car, good diesel engines with ok MPG (not as good as the very latest tech) and every single extra you could wish thrown at it.

Values have dropped quite a bit since the launch of the new model, so well worth a look. Nice car to drive too, for a FWD.

I have fallen back in love with some of the Jap stuff now - after a very dodgy Subaru and a just as dodgy e90 BMW. The Mazda 6 has always been bullet proof.

HTH +++

good call based on a mondeo platform and a nice drive , parts are very expensive if things do go wrong though

I thought about suggesting a Mazda 6 but i'm not sure it'll be big enough?

good call based on a mondeo platform and a nice drive , parts are very expensive if things do go wrong though

Expensive because they never go wrong... :)

I thought about suggesting a Mazda 6 but i'm not sure it'll be big enough?

Bigger than a A4 mate and pretty wide in the back from what I remember. Got to be worth a look. I know someone who has 3 x kiddie seats in the back of his (one slimline obviously! It isn't a Range Rover after all....)

We can fit 3 kiddie seats across the back of the Mrs Prius, so you can do it in most cars if you buy the right seats, I wouldn't want to be wedged between two of them though!

I vaguely recall looking at the Mazda 6 in the buying A4 days.

I agree they look nice. Will put it to the troops to decide if a quick trip to the local (nearby) Mazda dealer is allowed.

Proble, now of course is: Wife wants the BMW (and insists on me getting an auto), son wants the Jag "but would be okay with the Lexus or maybe the BMW dad", daughter will not take the bus to her new school if I have the Jag or the BMW (counter-incentive if ever there was one) although kids have grudgingly conceded Jag is not happening this time round probably.