Which 4x4? Touareg, ML or X5?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 30d will average c25mpg... the 4.8is will average c19mpg... a bit of man-math and it's a no brainer :D

The engine in the 4.8is is a bit special, developed by Alpina and is the same in the Alpina Z8. Thorney Motorsport had a job lot of Miltek cat-back systems they were flogging off cheap "the best sounding car we've EVER had... and we've had a few!"

• 2 weeks later...

You can be in a sub 100k mile 4.8i E70 X5 for around £14k now, that would be my choice.

Friend of mine has gone from a 4.8 to a 30d and he reckons he has gone from around 21mpg to around 25mpg, said he is a bit gutted he has swapped now, he 4.8 felt like a very, very special car, immense power and very refined, the 30d just feels like a luxury diesel. He was expecting to save around 1/3 in fuel, he reckons he is saving around 15% cost wise as best. Doing only 10k miles a year it is hardly worth the drop in luxury and fun factor.

You can be in a sub 100k mile 4.8i E70 X5 for around £14k now, that would be my choice.

Friend of mine has gone from a 4.8 to a 30d and he reckons he has gone from around 21mpg to around 25mpg, said he is a bit gutted he has swapped now, he 4.8 felt like a very, very special car, immense power and very refined, the 30d just feels like a luxury diesel. He was expecting to save around 1/3 in fuel, he reckons he is saving around 15% cost wise as best. Doing only 10k miles a year it is hardly worth the drop in luxury and fun factor.

I'd suggest there is something very wrong with his 30d.

We've gone from a 2011 50i with the 4.4 litre Twin Turbo to the X6 with the 40d engine.

Average mpg after 38,000 miles in the 50i was 19.2.

Average mpg after 100 miles in the 40d is 34.4 - and I reckon that'll improve slightly too.

He only uses it for short journeys.

He said on a run there is a big difference, 26mpg on the 4.8 and 37 on the 30d, but just nipping about which is 90% of his driving the difference is small.

Mind you that was at Easter and it had been really cold since he picked it up in December, so maybe as it warms up the diesel might see better gains.

But he did say that the premium for going diesel made no sense at all when buying a used car, looking back.

We've not done a single trip over 15 miles, and only been on a dual carriageway for 4 miles, maybe 5.

Other than the 15 mile trip the longest it has ran is 10 minutes - in a daily commute to the office in stop-start traffic. I think the diesel argument always has to be coupled to higher miles, and the fact that when it comes to the time to change they seem much less affected by high miles than the petrol equivalent.

I think any significant drop in power takes some getting used to. In fact it's why we bought the 40d over the 30d. Going from 408 hp to 231 hp would have taken away the performance we wanted from at least one of our cars, so the 306 hp of the 40d seemed the much more obvious choice.

He only got 25 mpg from his 535d sport touring before that, I only got 26mpg from mine.

Maybe the newer cars with the newer ZF 'box see great gains in economy?

I know in the LCI 535d I could see high thirties compared with mid twenties on my 05 plate, that 'box made a huge difference. Not sure if or when the X5 got the 8 speed though?

Maybe the newer cars with the newer ZF 'box see great gains in economy?

I know in the LCI 535d I could see high thirties compared with mid twenties on my 05 plate, that 'box made a huge difference. Not sure if or when the X5 got the 8 speed though?

Maybe you're right on that, I'm not sure. It does of course depend on how heavy the right foot is too! :grin: