Which 4x4? Touareg, ML or X5?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! I went for a 2004 4.4 SE. Dead happy with it and returning about 25mpg. Fits the bill perfectly, and looks like I'll get to see the ability in snow soon! Has winter tyres on it too which is a bonus. The V8 is lovely and suits the car very well I reckon.

25 mpg?  From a big ol' 4x4?  You got it in 4 cylinder mode or freewheeling everywhere?

Bet it sounds good !!!!

That was based on a few days driving to Durham and back; flat A roads, virtually no stopping and starting. Other journeys, around the doors since, have spelled out a much worse picture. haha. But it's not going to be used as main car; just for ferrying kids around/if needed when the weather gets bad, so fuel not an issue really.

It's not a patch on the 4.8 for sound. The single round exhausts have such an amazing sound. The twin 4.4's though are amazingly quiet. Too quiet actually. Might do some fettling to sort that!

Has to go back to garage tomorrow for a few things to be sorted... usual BMW stuff, slight leak on the expansion tank, PDC not working properly etc.

It's got Bridgestone winter tyres on, so we'll see how it does in the snow probably quite soon.

Thanks for all the advice btw. Definitely think it's the best of the 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Car all sorted now, and having had the chance to drive it properly for a few days, with some long journeys, I am totally in love with it! I now understand the BMW camp. The handling and performance is astonishing, even if you don't factor in the thing is massive and over 2 tonnes.

I do wish I hadn't driven my mates 4.8is though. The 4.8 is a completely different car to drive. So much more torque low down and just feels so much better. You can see why they command such high prices compared to the 4.4.

Thanks again for all the advice. Very pleased I went for the beem rather than the VW or merc.

I do wish I hadn't driven my mates 4.8is though. The 4.8 is a completely different car to drive. So much more torque low down and just feels so much better.

Ah, you should have had a trip in the 50i we had... that 4.4 litre engine married to Twin Turbo's with 408hp was quite a rapid thing.  Understatement.

Ah, you should have had a trip in the 50i we had... that 4.4 litre engine married to Twin Turbo's with 408hp was quite a rapid thing.  Understatement.

I can imagine! 

I'm toying with the idea of getting the 4.4 remapped. There's a guy who runs a firm called bwchiptune I think it is, who can send a file to a local mapper and only charges £250 to x5 forum members. It apparently gives you the same low down torque the 4.8 has.