Interesting group buy on Pistonheads...

Biscuits

It was brought to my attention that the C63 engine is "detuned" over 5,000rpm via throttle restrictions.

Now I'm sure 457bhp will be plenty, but it's nice to know there's a bit more if needed :secret:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1312736&d=0&nmt=

C63s use the same engine as those in the earlier generation E63 and CLS63 whose power output was rated at 525bhp. The C63 does have a more restrictive exhaust, to the tune of around a 20bhp restriction, however it's still very much a 500bhp engine. This is then restricted through the throttle opening - push the throttle to the floor and the fly-by-wire throttle will not fully open at the throttle butterfly. At least that's what I've heard / read / understood.

The reality? I have a Eurocharged remap on my C63. My car was dyno'd, then had the 'map loaded, then dyno'd again, all in the space of 20 minutes. As standard my car was producing 455bhp and after the remap it showed as 507bhp. 57bhp gain at the flywheel there and then.

Could it be felt on the road? Yes absolutely, but only above 5000rpm. This is backed up by the dyno trace leading me to suggest that the artifical throttle restriction is only >5000rpm on standard cars.

Common practice nowdays where cars share engines with different mapping, intake and exhaust manifolds etc.

Recall similar years ago, circa 2002, then new E55 AMG was quoted as less powerful than the SL55 AMG, was clearly the same engine, model hierarchy and all that......

Another example, current Boxster S is quoted as 315 bhp and the 991 Carrera is 349 bhp......... same engine, same quarter mile times, is they really 35 bhp difference?

Not in the same league, but when the Evoque came out there was the 192 with 2 exhausts and the green "eco" 150 oil burners with just 1. It didn't take a tuner long to find out they were exactly the same engines - 600 quid later you'd have the much cheaper green car at the same power. However, you'd still be stuck driving an Evoque.

I've been having a look at remapping for the C63 and also came across this artificial throttle restriction feature - so in theory its quite easy to liberate a good few more ponies, which as we all know is very unusual for a NA engine. On the other hand goven the rwd and the relatively skinny tyres I've not really left that it needs more ponies and the *potential* warranty issues that may be created if mapped and the worst happens. Having driven a tuned GTR I always had the nagging doubt at the back of my mind saying whatif today is the day the box/engine lunches itself, its nice to be on the safe side for once +++

I've been having a look at remapping for the C63 and also came across this artificial throttle restriction feature - so in theory its quite easy to liberate a good few more ponies, which as we all know is very unusual for a NA engine. On the other hand goven the rwd and the relatively skinny tyres I've not really left that it needs more ponies and the *potential* warranty issues that may be created if mapped and the worst happens. Having driven a tuned GTR I always had the nagging doubt at the back of my mind saying whatif today is the day the box/engine lunches itself, its nice to be on the safe side for once +++

Yes, I hear you...... when the M5 went boom Evolve drove up and removed the map 'just-in-case'

It was brought to my attention that the C63 engine is "detuned" over 5,000rpm via throttle restrictions.

Now I'm sure 457bhp will be plenty, but it's nice to know there's a bit more if needed :secret:

C63 Tuning Group Buy - PistonHeads

Don't forget that this current generation of C63 can come with a performance pack from AMG, or you can buy the 507 Edition variant. So the factory it seems has kept the spare horses up its sleeve to offer sharper variants of the car.