Xbox One - have you pre-ordered?

Sponge

My media area is now lacking a Megadrive (mine died) and a NES, otherwise we have SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3.

New Xbox doesn't interest me and to be honest we don't have many games for the PS3 because there isn't many on the platform I enjoy - so I suspect for the first time in years I'll not be jumping on any of the respective bandwagons. In fact our N64 and Gamecube get used as much as any other console in the house.

I have a feeling we might have a Gamecube in the loft somewhere. Of all the machines, the SNES is the one I have fondest memories of.

We had a Dreamcast and Megadrive back in the day and the jet-ski game on the Dreamcast was excellent, but the machine seemed doomed from the outset for some reason.

I'll not be bothering with the Xbox One or PS4, maybe the PS4 a few years down the line but not now.

The Wii gets the most use in our house, hence i'll probably buy a Wii U once the price drop happens.

Otherwise, the Dreamcast, Megadrive and SNES get used constantly, the PS3 very rarely.

My lad loves the Mario games and has recently got into Sonic too, we downloaded the entire Sonic collection to the Wii recently, but I have them all on the Megadrive too.

My favourite is by far the SNES, hence I have an American NTSC version, it looks fantastic on the LED TV.

I'm not interested in all the shitty war games that people w@nk themselves silly over, I like the classic stuff.

The Dreamcast was sadly doomed from the start, Sega had cocked up with all the add ons for the Megadrive which flopped instead of releasing a new console, the short lived Saturn was very hard to develop games for and so when the Dreamcast came out they'd already lost most of the third party developers, then they made the biggest mistake and baled out of the joint venture with Sony, and the PS1 was borne, game over.

Shame as it genuinely was, and still is, a very capable console, there is still quite a scene for them online with people developing there own homebrew games.

Edited by Tipex

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SNES and a Megadrive which recently found itself back in use for an evening - the sprite slowdown was horrific - particularly in Super R-Type and Sonic.

However, as a trip down (16-bit) memory lane (see what I did there?) it was hugely entertaining. :)

Pre Ordered a PS4, GT6 and CoD Ghosts - and it will be my main blu-ray player too.

That's why I have an American SNES and a Genesis, they run faster, in full screen (without the black borders) and don't suffer from slowdown.

Blockbusters are selling the Wii U so cheap at the moment I couldn't resist and got a premium one last week, Mrs T has made me leave it at my mums house though until christmas when i'm allowed it, err, I mean the kids are allowed it.

The price drop on the Wii U is imminent, but I don't think it'll be as cheap as Blockbusters have them in the sale for, was a struggle getting hold of them (got a basic on behalf the brother in law too) as they are mostly sold out, but I think they got them sent from Milton Keynes so Mrs T did a lot of chasing and harrasing.

• 2 months later...

I had two arrive on Friday - one already gone on eBay with the lad coming and collecting it at 2200 last night!

I haven't played on it a huge amount and whilst it is certainly a step up from the 360, it isn't the size on leap there was from the original XBOX to the 360.

Having to to an update (which took 30 minutes) straight after switching it on was kind of annoying but other than that everything is superb.  The menu system has been redesigned slightly but is still very intuitive.

Game wise it is amazing - I have got FIFA 14 and Forza 5.  Forza is brilliant - the graphics are super detailed and everything is amazingly smooth.  The new AI is really clever too.  They take other peoples driving profiles from around the world and put them into your races to combat how you do things e.g. if you always dive up the inside into a corner then in the next race will be some bugger who drives around the inside edge of the corner at the speed of Mrs Miggins going to the shops on a Sunday!

All in all it was worth the change for me as I shall use some of the "one" functionality too pushing other content through it.  I haven't bother to connect the Kinect sensor yet but if the voice controls work well then they could be quite handy.