2013/2014 Premier League Prediction Thread

m4ttm4son

MrMe, why the Arsenal hatred? Isn't it more natural to hate City? After reading a few chavball threads I've been more interested in the league results and I see Arsenal are top. I even watched a Man U game the other week; had feck all else to do as I was looking after the munchkin. Can't remember who they played but it was their first win in a while. Entertaining enough, but not enough to be repeated!

Andrew- it's North v South banter.

Not that I've ever encouraged it, not me, I would never wind anyone up- especially not if they supported Man Utd (where's the innocent faced smiley).

There's also the historical thing that Arsenal for all the wind generated by me and fellow supporters have won sfa for the best part of 9 years, so a half season of doing well is over applauded by fans and generally derided by all non fans.

Simply put, he's jealous. :) :) :)

• Like 1

MrMe, why the Arsenal hatred? Isn't it more natural to hate City? After reading a few chavball threads I've been more interested in the league results and I see Arsenal are top. I even watched a Man U game the other week; had feck all else to do as I was looking after the munchkin. Can't remember who they played but it was their first win in a while. Entertaining enough, but not enough to be repeated!

Oh I don't 'hate' Arsenal.  However I do find it somewhat ironic that 90% of the fans that were calling for the head of Wenger less than 6 months ago now think he's wonderful.

They have, without question in my experience anyway, one of the most fickle set of fans of any Premier League club.

But I certainly don't hate them.  I don't 'hate' any club.  Well, just one.  But they're so insignificant I don't have to cope with it.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

1.Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Man City

4. Man Utd

5. Tottenham

18. Norwich

19. Hull City Tigers

20. Crystal Palace

I just think Mourinho is boring enough to pick up the points. Tottenham will scare everyone with a late surge and Man U will declare this a "transitional" season.

Think I'm doing pretty well so far. Maybe Chelsea and Man City are the wrong way round and I now don't believe Man U will do so well. Maybe swap them out for Liverpool.

At the other end, I might have been too harsh on Norwich, but they're still not exactly doing brilliantly.

Oh, and:

1. Chelsea or City

2. Chelsea or City

3. United

4. Spurs

5. Arsenal

6. Liverpool

I think there'll only be 3 or 4 points between 3rd and 6th, with the final positions being decided on the last day of the season, some of them on goal difference.

18. Sunderland (and not just because they're smelly mackems)

19. Hull

20. Crystal Palace

I'm doing well. My top 6 are still the same, but take Man U out and slot them into a non-Europe-qualifying 6th, tied on points with Everton and Newcastle.

My only disappointment is I failed to recognise how sh1t Sunderland would be. Shame on me.

I'm doing well. My top 6 are still the same, but take Man U out and slot them into a non-Europe-qualifying 6th, tied on points with Everton and Newcastle.

My only disappointment is I failed to recognise how sh1t Sunderland would be. Shame on me.

Yeah, I did wonder if secretly you had a red and white shirt tucked away somewhere showing that kind of favouritism :P

• Like 1

OGS is a hell of an appointment by the lunatic Tan.

I am of the view that a friend on FB had now - he's got nothing to lose.  If it all goes horribly wrong he can walk away with a big pay-off and blame it all on a guy everyone knows is a few sandwiches short of a picnic to say the least. 

Whereas if he has a good remainder of the season he'll almost certainly get a better offer from someone else in the Premier League. 

It won't be Manchester United though.  We've got the right man in charge and he'll be there for years to come.

OGS is a hell of an appointment by the lunatic Tan.

I am of the view that a friend on FB had now - he's got nothing to lose. If it all goes horribly wrong he can walk away with a big pay-off and blame it all on a guy everyone knows is a few sandwiches short of a picnic to say the least.

Rolling contract. No big pay offs.

Regardless of that Billy (which I'll admit I didn't know), he's still got nothing to lose.

His reputation as a bright and successful manager (his achievements with Molde are nothing short of miraculous) will remain intact.

I will share this with everyone though because it is genius.....

A Cardiff City fan, on Facebook, has been moaning about how Solskjaer is a bad appointment because his win ratio is only 55%.

Mackay's was 38%.

Sir Alex Ferguson's was 58%.  For some reason, the guy thought 55% was poor.:roflmao:

I think Tan is raving mad, but there is no doubt he's pulled off a major coup in attracting OGS in my opinion.  Villa tried and failed, Blackburn Rovers tried and failed.  How he's done it is anyones guess, but I'm guessing that being promised £25m to spend this month was a big part of it.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Things are a little different now though. OGS had a good couple of seasons at Molde but their recent season has been very poor. They spent a lot of time at the bottom of the table before a later surge took them to a 7th place finish. His stock was not as high as when he could turn down offers. If Villa and Cardiff were both in for him now I'm sure he would go to Villa.

You can't let last season at Molde tarnish his reputation.  When he joined them they had just avoided relegation.

They finished 6th, regardless of their earlier season form.  That qualified them for the Europa League 2nd qualifying stage.  I don't think that is too bad after back to back championships when most people in Norway would say they'd have laughed at the possibility of that.

They also won the Norwegian equivalent of the FA Cup, in November when they beat Rosenborg - so it was still a very successful season for a team with very limited resources indeed.  To put what he did into context, Molde has a population of less than 30,000 people.  It is a very small town by even Norwegian standards.

In the UK it would still be considered a 'market town' (the definition of a very small town and next up from a very large village).  Tonbridge has a population of over 30,000 in the UK.  I think that shows just how big a shock his achievements were.  Basically, pick any tiny town in the UK with a football club and imagine them winning the Premier League - back to back.

They sold two of their best players, making over £20m in doing so - and he didn't spend a penny of it.  It was all banked.

As I understand it, he was being inundated with offers in the last 6 months.  He had been asked to speak to 2 Dutch Erevidisiewotsit (Premier League thing) teams, an Italian Serie A team (said to be Lazio but that was never confirmed) and I think his stock was still very high.  That's why I'm so surprised he has taken the Cardiff job.

That said, I'm not sure he'd opt for Villa over Cardiff - because Lerner simply doesn't want to spend money, and Tan clearly does.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe