Engine sounds like a Kamikazi plane?

audibazza

Guys,

My Audi A6 1.9 tdi is sounding like a jet plane in decent?

This is the only way I can describe it. Turbo still kicks-in fine and it's running really well, but this noise is worrying me.

Any advice as to what it could possibly be please? If I take my foot off the gas, the noise stays until the car gets to below 40?

Thanks in advance

BAZZA

Good news!

Turns out to be the wheel bearings!?

NSF is where the noise is coming from and I took my local garage owner for a spin and he immediately diagnosed the bearings as being the fault - phew! Feared it was the turbo packing-in if I'm honest.

Tipex, many thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting. I have to say that your diagnosis seems more suited to the noise I'm experiencing though. I've never witnessed this kind of whining before.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Got my wheel bearing sorted last week, all it did (wrong) was have a gentle drone 20-50 mph. Either side of those speeds it was near silent.

Dumb of me not to pick it up, but it was there when I got it and I though it was wind resonance from the wing mirror or some sort of air issue with the air con unit.

Hey live and learn and got it fixed at half the Audi quote, £200 all in.

Update on my issue -

Driving home from Dundee yesterday (to the Midlands!).....................2 of the bolts were loose and it was squeeling like a pig. Had to pull over on the hard shoulder in the driving rain just outside Lockerbie and get towed to a local garage that opened for me and charged £50 for basically being called out. Obviously I was happy with that, but certainly not very happy at the Mechanic that performed the job!

It's a shame because I know the garage owner, and have done for years, and he has already heard on the grape-vine of my plight and offered his sincere apologies. Obviously he will rollock the guy who personally did the job and will re-imburse my £50.

Have to say that the RAC chappy was brilliant - just a shame RAC do not issue these lads with certain basic kit, as it was as frustrating for him also in what should have been a 20 minute fix.

Eventfull eh!