bells0

Family car??

96 posts in this topic

Moonin all, been a while since i've discussed the reason we're all here, cars!!

A few of you will know that i lost my job of 15 years last year, and with that my company car. So with my redundancy money i bought a Prius [stop that laughing at the back!!!]

It's been great - my first auto, which i love, good space in the cabin, lots of toys [T Spirirt edition], uber reliable, £10 to tax and gets back 50-60 mpg using petrol.

But, it's as ugly as Susan Boyle, and after having a second child 6 months ago, ain't that big in the boot department.

Now i'm back in permanent employment and after a recent trip to the Lakes for a week and the Mrs deciding we need to take all but the kitchen sink - i've decided a change is needed!

Have zero debt at the mo due to getting the Prius with my redundancy, so willing to add £6k to get something suitable with plenty of luggage room.

Budget should be £12,000 if the Prius sells ok.

Any ideas on what to get?

Am lured by the A6 Avant, as i've always thought it's one of the best looking cars on the road [saloon is nothing like as nice]. But worried on sky high repair bills if anything go's pear shaped. Would love the new 2009 update, but it would be a very high mileage car. Otherwise it's an 07/08 50/60k job. Diesel seems to be the only real option second hand. I only do 10k mileage a year.

Life story complete, shoot some ideas my way!!

A6 looks good.

I'm a fan of the Volvo V70, especially the D5, sounds nice, super comfy, lots of space too. I had one new in 2005, utterly abused it every day, and when it went with about 50k on the clock the only fault I had had was a turbo pipe circlip which was fixed roadside IIRC. 40 MPG from the 5 pot and you can pretend to be a traffic cop of touring car driver too. Kids still nag me to get another !

Glad to hear you are back on your feet with a permanent job Bells0, have you looked at the BMW estates, or as you say the A6 have always been a good solid car +++

Brand New, with 5 year Warranty, Dacia Duster is what you need.

They are genuinely the future of UK motoring. 

+++

Failing that, why an A6 on not an A4? And with your mileage, I'd probably go for a petrol, albeit with a turbo.

10K miles a year? 

I wouldn't bother going down the diesel route.

I also agree, the A6 Avant is a fine looking motor - lots of space too.

Reliablity and stuff - I have never suffered any show stopping moments (nor mechanical breakdowns) with any of my Audis.  I've had a few too!

Find a good reliable VAG indy, and they'll look after you and the car for a fraction of the price!

As with all, a decen indy in all cases will be a better bet than any dealer.

Is a good independat Vag/German garage near me, expanding big time so assume they aren't as cheap as they used to be - so woudl take it there if i went Audi/BMW.

Dacia Duster, why didn't i think of that?!!! :D

As for petrol, agree with my 10k a year, but there aren't many petrols about A6 wise. Are the petrol Avants mpg a lot worse than the diesel couterpart?

Can't respond on the petrol A6 v's Diesel A6 - I had a 3.0TDI auto, quattro and rarely saw anything above 34mpg.... and that was mostly motorway....

However, the new petrol engines in the A4 Avants are very frugal. I have a 2.0TFSI quattro and see +40mpg regularly.

Apparently the new 1.8T does above 40mpg on a run even with an autobox - one of our sales guys has one - I suspect that might drop with the slightly heavier A6, but probably not by much.

Is a good independat Vag/German garage near me, expanding big time so assume they aren't as cheap as they used to be - so woudl take it there if i went Audi/BMW.

Dacia Duster, why didn't i think of that?!!! :D

As for petrol, agree with my 10k a year, but there aren't many petrols about A6 wise. Are the petrol Avants mpg a lot worse than the diesel couterpart?

The mpg might be worse, but that is countered by the additional 5 or 6 pence per litre for diesel.  Usually, petrol engined cars are slightly cheaper to service too.

Wow - just checked Autotrader and the petrols are rare as!!!

However, the new petrol engines in the A4 Avants are very frugal. I have a 2.0TFSI quattro and see +40mpg regularly.

But it you're low mileage as suggested you won't be doing many runs and hence my mpg will be more likely 

See sig below

A6, E60 5 series, Mercedes E Class estate, Volvo V class, the choice is endless.

Bit out of budget at present which is a shame, but the Prius estate would have been great as you seem to like the normal Prius.

I'm not a fan of the Prius looks either, but, you simply cannot buy a better small family car.

We have three kids and have no problems fitting in Mrs T's Prius, we used it to drive to Disney Paris recently and while the boot isn't the biggest, it swallowed everything up. Just make sure you put the stuff you don't need on the journey in the underfloor compartment or you'll be cursing when you have to unload the boot!

A6, E60 5 series, Mercedes E Class estate, Volvo V class, the choice is endless.

well go on then list more than 5......

well go on then list more than 5......

Honda Accord, Mazda 6, VW Passat, Mondeo, Insignia, Lexus GS, Skoda Superb....all big cars in one guise or another and all within range of £13k.

Naa - I am assuming he needs the boot space and the and battery in the GS450 swallows it all up.

Naa - I am assuming he needs the boot space and the and battery in the GS450 swallows it all up.

RX 400h SE-L then.  The most sumptious riding car we've ever owned.  Never missed a beat and build quality was on par with the BMW's of the era (we did look at the new RX though and I think they've dropped their game a little).

Yeah that is lovely.

The GS300 boot is massive too and a saloon but personally I feel would be too heavy on the fuel.

They get 32-33 mpg.  The 400h got 27-28 which was below the claims Lexus made, but for what it did it was easily good enough. 

The 3.3 V6 is also swift when you want it to be.

Boot space is high on the list due to buggies and general stuff the Mrs seems to insist on taking everywhere. ideally something that doesn't have silly expensive tyres and road tax - hence why i've avoided mpv/4x4 things. Like the Volvo XC60 a lot but they seem to hold value well and i imagine tyres and road tax will be expensive.

Like the look of the Honda Accord estate, and that will be reliable. Not sure it will be as nice a place to sit as the A6 though?

The Accord is estate is one of the best looking estate cars out there in my opinion.

High end models are very nice places to sit.  They're not as nicely finished as an Audi but they're not a million miles away either.  There are a few too many clashes of decent leather combined with horrid plastic surroundings for you not to notice the difference though.  However, I've owned 2 Honda's in the past (a Civic and and Accord) and they took, without doubt, the biggest thrashings of any cars I've ever owned - and never missed a beat.

The thing about either a Honda or Mazda is that it'll still be just as nice a place to sit in a few years time, whereas the kids will have wrecked the Audi.

The thing about either a Honda or Mazda is that it'll still be just as nice a place to sit in a few years time, whereas the kids will have wrecked the Audi.

Depends upon the kids.  My 3 don't wreck things, even when they were very young. 

I won't let them wreck things. 

Simple as.

Will this be your only car? If so, do you want something as big as an A6 avant to drive around all the time? Most of the time you won't use the space anyway. Just a thought.