Family car??

bells0

Hope so - is a 12 mile commute that involves heading round Bradford's ring road. Sometimes i fly through, but more often than not i hit a red at the silly amount of traffic lights we have round this way!! Just the paranoia about DPF and DMF to live with now...........[any sign of clutch judder has me panacking!!]

You should probably have got the manual, if you are worring about it.

I think Shark Performance can do stuff with the DPF (like bypass it)

Know what you mean Nords - prefer the front on the C7, but the back is nowhere near as nice as the C6, too angular.

It is bloody big, but i do love it's road presence. The boot size is spot on.

1 frustration - it doesn't have tether points for isofix - which is a bit of a joke. Means i have to buy a new toddler seat as the one i have cannot be used without the top tether. I just assumed it would have them, my 2007 Prius did, so does my Wife's Nissan Note!

You decided yet??

Mr T says to start and turn off the car with your foot on the clutch.

Yep, I can't stress enough how important it is to have the clutch fully depressed when starting and stopping the engine.

My research isn't exactly scientific, but the rate at which our cars experience DMF failure has dropped significantly since we told the drivers to do so.

They actually last twice as long believe it or not, if not longer.

Clutch judder isn't related to the DMF either so don't worry about the odd bit of that, it's fairly common on modern cars since they banned asbestos, if the DMF is goosed you might get some juddering under load when accelerating with the clutch fully engaged, but the usual give away is a clattering noise when stationary with the engine running and your foot off the clutch pedal (in neutral obviously).

Edited by Tipex
  • Like 1

The C7 doesn't have top tethers either. Not sure what to make of it really... We have a Britax seat that has an optional top tether strap, but neither of our cars has an anchor point.

I'm not really any closer to making a decision. I went out in the Mazda 6 Sport Tourer 2.2 last week. Lovely car but only coming in at about £20 p/mth less than the A6 Avant Black Edition (I've pretty much ruled out the Mazda 6 SE L because it's only available with cloth seats, and I can't have that). Whilst the Mazda is better equipped, more economical and not as common, on balance I think I'd still rather have the Avant. Problem is, the price is creeping up all the time and I'm now looking at spending £70 p/mth more than I do currently. I'm not too happy about that...

Decisions, decisions......

• 1 month later...

Had some 20% tints put on at the weekend [mainly for the mini me's in the back, but looks nice too] and some Alloy gators on the wheels.

All 4 were scuffed up anyway, so instead of getting them refurbed and me doing the same, these cover what's already there and save the metal from it happening even more. Look a little odd up close with the lip, but seems a good idea.

£225 for both doing seemed ok.

IMG_2385_zps743808d2.jpg

IMG_2387_zpsad8e1c78.jpg

• Like 2

*Ahem* *clearthroatandtriestorememberverbatim*

Why the fúck would you want to wedge a piece of metal into the sidewall of your perfectly good tyre! (in a shouty voice)

That was a fantastic thread that one, i'm smiling just thinking about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: I've now read the thread fully and discovered my post is largely redundant. :D

We out-grew our A4 very quickly. For an estate car it was very small. We lived with it whilst we had two kids, but camping trips required the use of a roofbox.

I'm sure the A6 would be better, but I can't imagine by much.

Once we had the 3rd child it was a no-brainer - we had to go down the MPV route. Settling on the 5008 after reading reviews and taking test drives. I wanted the Sharan/Alhambra (still do), but they were beyond my budget.

If you do go away and take loads of stuff with you, or think you might have more kids, then I'd suggest a good look at MPVs. I know they're not drivers' cars; but they are family cars.

Edited by Sponge

I know they're not drivers' cars; but they are family cars.

It almost pains me to say it, but the Galaxy has been great, it does everything we ask of it and a whole lot more, today we had all 5 of us, a large double buggy, bags and bags of shopping, a 7 foot tall christmas tree and a large wooden tree stand inside it, and still acres of space left.

While i'd agree about the 'drivers car' bit too, certainly with the Sharan/Alhambra, Zafira etc, the Galaxy is somewhat surprising in that respect, it handles really very well and is actually quite good fun to push on in, it's very flickable, Ford make an excellent chassis.

Brand New, with 5 year Warranty, Dacia Duster is what you need.

They are genuinely the future of UK motoring. 

+++

Failing that, why an A6 on not an A4? And with your mileage, I'd probably go for a petrol, albeit with a turbo.

Having recently driven one for a week in Iceland (no not whilst lost looking for a prawn ring!) which was a diesel, I have to say it was a nice spacious car and went through everything we put it through with surprising economy!