Football results today

Luke

A form table is irrelevant!  They're on the verge of relegation and Sherwood is deluded!

No Villa fan will tell you that they don't deserve their current league position/situation but to say the form table has no relevance is bollocks!  It has total relevance so far as Sherwood is concerned as you can only rate his performance at Villa since he took over.

Of course, it'll all count for sweet Fanny Adams if they get relegated anyway but as someone who sees Villa from the terraces each week I can tell you that they are most certainly not the same team that he took over.

The only table that matters is the final table.  The form table takes no account of who you're playing and you could win 8 matches in a row, be top of the table, and be relegated - so what relevance does it have?  None.

Form tables are for fans of clubs that belong in the Championship - like Villa.  I make no bones about the fact I'd rather they went down than Sunderland or Newcastle (and I have no love for either!).

Managers joining a new club regularly enjoy a temporary lift in form.  You know that.  It doesn't mean they're not the same team - they'll slip back to being their usual lacklustre and Championship selves.

The mistake Villa made was obvious - Lambert should have gone a year or more ago.  I admire your chairman for not doing so in many ways, but my word you're paying the price for it.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I agree that the only table that matters is the one on the final day but you can't simply discount how they have played since Sherwood arrived.

It's more than just a blip from a new manager arriving.  There is a difference in how they look as a unit on the pitch and he has changed the shape of the team completely to play to the strengths of the players they have.  Lambert should have gone an age before he did, I agree, and Villa fans were screaming for that.

the only reason the chairman didn't bin him earlier was a blind hope that we'd be okay.  Don't forget that he's trying to sell the club so he has no interest in spending money he doesn't need to.

If the only table that matters is the final one I'm not sure how Villa are their "Championship selves" though as they've never been out of the Premier League.  

If the only table that matters is the final one I'm not sure how Villa are their "Championship selves" though as they've never been out of the Premier League.  

...and in the time the Premier League has existed they've won...?

My point is that right now, they're about as good as a decent Championship team. 

I do wish you well in the FA Cup final though.  The prospect of Arsenal winning and then beginning to proclaim the start of yet another new dawn (the 100th, I think) isn't something I relish.

...and in the time the Premier League has existed they've won...?

My point is that right now, they're about as good as a decent Championship team. 

I do wish you well in the FA Cup final though.  The prospect of Arsenal winning and then beginning to proclaim the start of yet another new dawn (the 100th, I think) isn't something I relish.

Not in the same league as your lot but we've not been totally useless since the Prem started - we're were league runners up in 92/3, League Cup Winners in 94 and 96 (you may remember 94 especially well!) and runners up in 2010, FA Cup runners up in 2000 and there was also an Intertoto Cup win in there in (I think) 2001.

Since Sherwood has arrived they have been playing some good football but prior to that we were an awful lot worse than a lot of Championship sides!  

Oh I recall 1994 very well indeed. 

I also recall your very good side in 92/93 like it was yesterday.

I just think Sherwood was a bad appointment.  I think he's desperately out of his depth in the Premier League and his summary of his own footballing ability says it all in my opinion.  I think there are more than a few good reasons that he was out of a job since Spurs got rid of him and I don't think any other club in the Premier League would have even contemplated appointing him.

Your saving grace this year is Sunderland's remaining games - although I do suspect Newcastle would go down before you if Sunderland pulled off a miracle.

I've read that Sherwood won't have a penny to spend in the summer and I think that'll bring big problems next year. 

p.s. I also recall Nigel Spinks miraculous cup final performance a looooooooong time ago. :roflmao:

NNMM - I agree with bits of what you say.  I wasn't a fan of the appointment but got behind them as you do with your own club regardless of their situation.  I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by Sherwood though.  I guess he is a marmite type character but he has definitely built a spirit in the team that was not there when he arrived.  He has done the simple things well and despite some people still playing in an unfavoured position for them as an individual, they are all pulling together.  

Re the Summer you are 100% correct.  Benteke is already wearing a Chelsea shirt, Vlaar hasn't signed a new deal and rumours put him at Old Trafford and Cleverley (who has been great over the last few months) seems likely to move elsewhere too.  Unless they manage to find new owners at the end of the season (assuming they stay up!) then next year will be another struggle.

Re the Summer you are 100% correct.  Benteke is already wearing a Chelsea shirt, Vlaar hasn't signed a new deal and rumours put him at Old Trafford and Cleverley (who has been great over the last few months) seems likely to move elsewhere too.  Unless they manage to find new owners at the end of the season (assuming they stay up!) then next year will be another struggle.

I don't think Vlaar will move to Old Trafford. 

Hummels is very much the top defensive target and they seem intent on spending £100m on Gareth Bale (and  lot of the Spanish press now seem to think that deal will happen).

It looks like Januzaj is going to be used in a deal for Memphis Depay (to be fair, as much I have liked Januzaj in the past he has been awful in the past year).  There is a lot of 'talk' about him being loaned to PSV for a season and United will then pay £25m for Depay.  That would make sense because he needs regular football if he's to sort himself out and there is no doubt United are serious about Depay.

Gundogan looks like a likely target too and Van Gaal doesn't seem overly bothered about spending on our defence.

As for Cleverley, I'm really not sure why he'd leave Villa.  He has always thought very highly about himself but I think another year or two at Villa would be good for him.  I don't think he's a top class player and I don't believe much of the reports I've read about bigger clubs wanting him. 

Silly season - we're on the verge of it.  Transfer rumours aplenty and I just hope United get their deals done fast. 

Wonder if Lloris will be off soon.

Possible, but the rumour-mill at the moment is suggesting De Gea is on the verge of signing a new contract this week.

I think a lot depends on whether Real Madrid can do any business at all.  They're likely to be hit with a transfer sanction of some form and I still don't think they'd be his preferred choice.  I have said it many times - he was an Atletico player and Real were never a club he liked.  If Barca came for him, it might be a different matter.

I hope not anyway, and I also hope they don't try using him as part of a Bale deal.

Transfer rumours aplenty and I just hope United get their deals done fast. 

I'm not being greedy - but I'm prepared to make myself available and train hard for a season long position on the bench for say, £5,000.00 per week.  +++

• Like 1

I don't quite know how NNMM is getting away with no abuse for ManU being utter w*nk at the moment and consigning themselves to 4th position and having to qualify for the CL.

Oh, I have been getting abuse - just not on here. :roflmao:

Fourth place is enough.  They'll get through the few qualifying matches if it comes to it.  It is the minimum that was asked of LVG and I won't be complaining if that is where they finish.

If we had been asked if 4th place would be enough at the start of the season, most fans would have said yes and given time for him to rebuild. 

However, my opinion on his treatment of Falcao and his signing of Di Maria are what you might call 'unflattering'.

Other than Chelsea, I think the entire league has been average.

I don't think other contenders have been crap, in fact I think a good few have been a surprise.

Southampton, Palace (under Pardew), Swansea - they've all done well.  I know Southampton have dropped off a bit now but they've still been an incredible surprise.

Teams from all positions have taken points from bigger clubs and that is what I love about the Premier League.  La Liga may have the two best teams (if you exclude Bayern for a moment) but the quality in general is crap.  I'd rather watch a Premier League game with random clubs in it than any other league.

I think United have been okay considering where we were this time last season.  A lot of money spent (and a lot wasted in my opinion) but I think Rojo, Blind and Shaw will all be part of the future of the club.  Herrera is outstanding.  Di Maria can go anywhere tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.  Falcao has been treated disgracefully and that will come back to bite LVG one day when he hammers 3-4 past us for another club.  I know he's had a lot of criticism, but you don't become a bad player overnight and strikers need a run of games that he has simply never been given.

As good as Fellaini has been in the last third of the season, I worry about him being a major part of the restructuring process. 

However, if United finish fourth it'll be for one reason - De Gea.  He's now the best in the world in my opinion.  I watched Neuer for a couple of matches a few weeks back in the Bundesliga and I wasn't impressed.  Unlike De Gea, he hardly ever has a shot to save.  Our poor bloke never gets 2 minutes peace!

I can see Chelsea being even stronger next year.  We'll strengthen, Arsenal will buy a few, City I'm not sure of because I don't know where they'll sit with FFP.  Liverpool will, as usual, spend £50-60m and waste every penny of it.  Spurs - who knows?  Come to think of it, who cares?

Edited by NewNiceMrMe