Football results today

Luke

:grin: You obviously enjoyed it, then.

I just can't believe they got away with it.  If he'd have gone off when he should have done, there is no way Arsenal were going to win that match.

It happened with Bellerin last season and they've done it again with Coquelin!  Oh and the photo that shows the high foot incident, when an Arsenal player almost took the head clean off a Palace player, is incredible.  Palace got penalised for it and the free kick went to Arsenal!   :roflmao:

That said, there is a degree of payback in that Lee Mason's performance is apparently going to be subject to review now.

The high foot thing is a funny one. There have been a few this season already with different ref decisions.

Arsenal were lucky Coq wasn't sent off, but Palace were lucky it wasn't 0-3 by half time. Swings and roundabouts.

Palace got away with it last week.  Norwich's goal was diallowed with the overhead as it was close to the Palace man's head.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched it and I'm desperately hoping Villa get relegated.  It was a superb fight-back against a team that clearly thought they had it all wrapped up.

I still think Grealish is one of the most over-hyped players in the country.  I just don't see why Hodgson seems so keen to get him to play for England.

Leicester under Ranieri are looking like they have real guts and he appears to have managed to continue the never-say-die attitude that they found at the end of last season.

Liverpool, on the other hand.... :roflmao:

• Like 1

He will be off. It's in his character to leave when things get hard. He has a 3 season use by date and that is the reason Utd didn't hire him a couple of years back.

He got very shirty in a news conference today when a BBC journo asked him exactly about this. He's NEVER stayed at a club past 3 seasons.

He got very shirty in a news conference today when a BBC journo asked him exactly about this. He's NEVER stayed at a club past 3 seasons.

Will try and catch that later on. I always enjoy a moody Jose interview. 

I presume we are all thinking the same about the De Gea circus.

Player wants to leave

Clubs agree a deal

Deal falls through

Player is angry

Player signs new contract

player is delighted to sign a new contract at Utd, a club he loves.

Player leaves within the next 2 windows but at least Utd get some money for him rather than losing him for free.

Good business sense but i wish they would cut out all the bollox.

The De Gea issue was clearly the problem of Real Madrid and no-one can blame United for getting that contract in place now (I know you've acknowledged that).

He'll be gone next summer but they'll get a decent price this time instead of the insult that was offered.

On Jose, I disagree.  I don't think he'll leave - yet.  Chelsea will recover.  Their squad is too good not to. 

On Rodgers and McClaren, I don't think there is any contest as to who will be sacked first.  I've been saying on Facebook for months now that I think Rodgers will be gone before Christmas and I've seen nothing to make me review that thought. 

I can't see McClaren going before him.  Newcastle have a lot of new players and it'll take time, but I don't realistically see them as relegation candidates (as much as I'd like to).

Sunderland, Bournemouth (unfortunately, because I'd love to see them stay up) and Villa are my contenders.  I am wishing and praying for the latter.  Mind you, I've been doing that for a good few seasons now. 

City will run away with the league.  United and Arsenal to fight it out for second.  Chelsea third or fourth.  After that, who knows?  Spur look awful. 

I think Crystal Palace might surprise many with a 6th/7th place finish.  God only knows where Liverpool will end up.  They seem utterly clueless and lacking in any passion whatsoever.

Seem to recall hearing that De Gea has a £30mil buy out. I'm struggling with the sums. I thought Man U and real agreed £24/£25m for the transfer. If the buy out is £30m then yes utd would bank £5/£6m extra but that has to be offset because De Gea must be on a huge whack now and have been given a healthy signing on bonus otherwise he could have royaly cashed in going for free next year. Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if Utd only break even but the major plus is they have an outstanding Keeper for another year.

3 teams I never thought I would enjoy watching. Palace, Everton and Swansea, all 3 have surprised me this year and I hope they can all make the top 10. Leicester have had a cracking start which I didn't  see coming with the tinkerman at the helm.

Villa and Sunderland really do need to go down this year, I cringe every time I see them listed as a televised game. Yes they have their own supporters but I can't picture a neutral saying 'Can't wait for the Villa/Sunderland match later'. 

Edited by billy2shots

Seem to recall hearing that De Gea has a £30mil buy out. I'm struggling with the sums. I thought Man U and real agreed £24/£25m for the transfer. If the buy out is £30m then yes utd would bank £5/£6m extra but that has to be offset because De Gea must be on a huge whack now and have been given a healthy signing on bonus otherwise he could have royaly cashed in going for free next year. Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if Utd only break even but the major plus is they have an outstanding Keeper for another year.

3 teams I never thought I would enjoy watching. Palace, Everton and Swansea, all 3 have surprised me this year and I hope they can all make the top 10. Leicester have had a cracking start which I didn't  see coming with the tinkerman at the helm.

Villa and Sunderland really do need to go down this year, I cringe every time I see them listed as a televised game. Yes they have their own supporters but I can't picture a neutral saying 'Can't wait for the Villa/Sunderland match later'. 

The De Gea deal was more like £19m plus Navas.  They spun it to be £25m-ish but it never really was.  They were getting him on the cheap.

I'm pleased you mentioned Everton because you've reminded me of something.  Their fans are vying with Arsenal for the title of most fickle in the league this year.

Here is why:

2 matches into the season, Radio 5 Live was swamped by whinging Everton fans that wanted Martinez sacked.  He's crap, he's never been any good, the chairman only has him cos' he was cheap, the team hates him, he can't motivate them, he has no tactics, etc, etc.  I have never heard such a complete assassination by radio.  Social media was also rife with it.  The poor guy was crucified.

5 matches into the season, they're proclaiming him God.

Their fans are vying with Arsenal for the title of most fickle in the league this year.

You can't help yourself, can you?

I think you would agree, unless you really are that blinkered, that Arsenal and Man U are both "big clubs" with high expectations. 

Arsenal has not won the premier league or even come that close for over 10 years. Hence I think understandably every once in a while the fans grumble when Wenger appears to be complacent. 

Your fans removed a manager within a season, yet we're the fickle ones....

Edited by Torino101
  • Like 1

You can't help yourself, can you?

I think you would agree, unless you really are that blinkered, that Arsenal and Man U are both "big clubs" with high expectations. 

Arsenal has not won the premier league or even come that close for over 10 years. Hence I think understandably every once in a while the fans grumble when Wenger appears to be complacent. 

Your fans removed a manager within a season, yet we're the fickle ones....

Arsenal being a big club (yes) with high expectations doesn't mean their fans aren't deluded. 

10 years without the league and never having won the Champions League, yet still they continually think they'll win the league.  It is more than that though - it is the way they flip and flop between wanting Wenger sacked and then thinking he's a god.  That is why I call them fickle.

Moyes sacking wasn't something I wanted but you'll find there was a lot more support for him in general than Wenger gets on a weekly basis. 

One last thing, even though I've said you're a big club, are you really?  Can any club really be a big club if it has never won the Champions League?  I think that could be highly contested.

Can any club really be a big club if it has never won the Champions League?  I think that could be highly contested.

I don't buy this. You can't live continually in history. Are Man City currently a major club, most people would say yes. Have they won the CL? No.

Whereas, Notts Forest have won it twice.... Are they expected to win the premiership this year. Um not desperately likely.  

Edited by Torino101

I don't buy this. You can't live continually in history. Are Man City currently a major club, most people would say yes. Have they won the CL? No.

Whereas, Notts Forest have won it twice.... Are they expected to win the premiership this year. Um not desperately likely.  

That is just a statement of convenience for an Arsenal fan.

City will probably win it in the next few years.  Will Arsenal? 

I'm talking about properly "BIG" clubs.   As for living continually in history, if that's the case....why do you consider Arsenal a big club when they're not won the league in over 10 years?

As regards Forest (and Villa too), I'll be honest and say that I know a good few people who would consider them to be just as able to claim greatness as Arsenal.  I happen to have little love for Villa, but Forest had real pedigree under a genius of a manager. 

Let's be honest, Arsenal have always been a bit of a nearly club.  Just never as big as United, Liverpool and I have to say it - City too now.  Always the poor Londoners.  I'm afraid it is a fact and even Chelsea put Arsenal into the shade now on the European stage.  I might not like City, but they are building a proper football club with infrastructure, community and a plan.  Arsenal just tick along thinking they're up there....and never are.

:bike:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Words, eat, soon, NNMM.

Let's see what happens this season.

*cough*

Did you know that Dinamo Zagreb had never won a Champions League match - until tonight. :roflmao:

United played very well, were robbed through a red card that never was and a crippled player.  City should have done better and I'm a bit puzzled they lost to Juve, but they were still playing last years finalists (or a version of).

But....

Arsenal. :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe