CSL's

Woppum

Has anyone on here got one anymore ?

As some of you might remember I used to run one for 3 years and 50k miles. It took me to work every day as well as round Europe and it's tracks on more than one occasion.

I am actually quite seriously considering swapping my M3 for a low ish mileage one as it's the car, more than any other, I miss the most.

I get back to the uk in a couple of weeks and plan to go and have a look and test drive of one. See if it lives up to how I remember it.

Prices are mad at the moment, would take the right deal to really interest me.

Check this for crazy price! They have another 2 car too.

http://www.hexagonmoderns.com/car_sales/BMW-M3-CSL/8340.htm

• Like 1

Love the black ones. That price is nuts. E92 is a nice place to cruise about in - is the CSL the same? Two focussed cars might be tiresome - no? Although, from your review the 458 seems like just as nice a place to cruise about in as the E92.

The m3 is a big comfy car, the 458 is lovely inside and pretty comfortable, but not in the same way the m3 is. The csl is probably somewhere I the middle and although 10 years old it's tech is robust. Would need a nav and sound system upgrade however.

It's the way the csl drives that sets it apart. It is like a 4 door 458 with less power in a way. The m3 although very agile I wouldn't go as far as to say its a spots car.

I tough one, and it think the chances are I will do nothing, however if you don't try, you don't know!

That's nothing.  Stratstone Tyneside have a customer who has sold his with 8,000 miles on it - for £68,000.  Last week.

He advertised it at £60k and had people bidding for it in the end!

Are you sure of this whoever you are ? ;)

The hexagon car has been for sale for a while although I suppose it is not 6k miles.

Mental price!  Woppum, if you have that much money to spend, buy a gen 2 996 GT3 RS

http://www.acorncarsuk.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-911-gt3-rs-2dr-enfield-201309208877401

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-996/porsche-996-gt3-rs-----rhd/1473647

Or a GT2

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt2-996/porsche-911-gt2/1610685

My neighbour keeps coming back to 911s, 996s in particular, he had a 996 Turbo, sold it for a Cayenne, went back to another Turbo soon after, few years ago bought a DB9 Volante, and now had a 996 GT2!

You have plenty of garage space to store it on trickle charge, and we all know you will use it!  Would you be adding an third daily driver to the fleet to run alongside the other two?  Scirrocos are quite nice.....

Edited by Ian_C

I did over 50k miles in mine over 20 track days and all that went wrong with it was a steering pump and that was only because the numpty that serviced it left the cap off and it dried out.

I'm not saying it's the smartest move to do 10k miles a year in one, but they hold together well and are so much fun to drive. Nothing modern sadly comes close.

Need to test drive first though. May all be a fond memory and actually I have moved on.

I would have though (he says having never driven either), that the next gen standard M3 would be a better car than the CSL wouldn't it?

They wouldn't be going backwards, and I know the CSL was a special edition, but i'd have still thought the next model on would be better all round, and if not, didn't they do a special edition of that with all the carbon and go fast bits?

I suspect you'll be somewhat disappointed if you drive one, as you say, fond memories but things (certainly for you) have moved on a lot.

I think I may be disappointed yes, but mostly by the price.

The csl wAs not just a special edition. It weighed considerably less, was filled to the brim with carbon, sounded infinitely better than the normal m3, had a much sharper steering lock and steered like nothing that has ever come out of m devision and sadly never will again.

Yes they did an e92 m3 gts, all in bright orange, all with 2 seats and all with a silly price tag. It's a no goer for all those reasons.

As development of the m4 progresses I will be keeping close tabs however it's turbo charged which i have never got on with.

The future looks bleak, which is why I'm going back in time.

I guess that would be the equivalent of me going from a B6 S6 to a B5 RS4.  Thought about it many times, much rarer, much more 'special', but will feel much older.  Plus two / three / four times the running costs.....

However it was absolutely awesome driving in convoy with one recently.  Sam you drove Eds I think didn't you on some crazy night out!

My brov had one from new, had the brakes and exhaust upgraded. He took me out in it and it's one of the only cars I've got out of and said, 'that was fücking AMAZING!' The blip of the throttle on downshifts was ace.

Yes I had AP brakes all round put on, intrax suspension supersprint racing system with miltek 100 cell cats. Tried a remap too but made it slower so took it off. Amazing car.

Would love a challenge stradale too but that a totally different matter !

I think, my friend, the answer is staring you in the face. Go outside, look in your garage, admire the one next to the black thing and think about tinkering with it maybe? On M3 Cutters people wax lyrical about Evolve remaps although you might have to have a better exhaust fitted to take advantage of it.

You can probably enhance the induction noise too but I'm out of my depth on that one.

Oddly enough a bloke on Cutters has just had a stage 2 Evolve and an Akra fitted: here are his comments very early doors.

Slight disappointment initially as the dyno wasn't working but we got the car on the ramp and the Akra was fitted. I then went out in the car with Sal and could feel an instant difference in the car. It was really pulling much better than stock and Sal explained the Akra dip to me and replicated it on the test drive, it actually wasn't too bad on my car but certainly noticeable.

A good twenty minutes later and it was back for the remap. Another drive out and again a noticeable difference in the car, no Akra dip and the car just wanted to go and felt much more responsive than stock. I was also impressed with how linear it felt on acceleration and picked up well even in 4th from 30-40. The induction from the BMC filter was also a lot more noticeable which is a nice touch. 

I will see how the car performs over the next few days but at this point I am really pleased with the outcome and wish I had done it sooner.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention the Akra. Really love the exotic noise it makes, very different to the OEM mod I had before but I have taken to it instantly and feel like I have a new car again. 

I will get a dyno done at some point when I can get away from work as curious to see what the car is now putting out but that is just a number, what is more important to me is that the car feels more alive,faster, more fun to drive and performs well under all the driving variables we could throw at it on the second thirty minute drive.