A6 2002 CIGARETTE LIGHTER

audibazza

Guys,

Wifey pulled-out her sat nav charger the other day and a spring and glass fuse fell out!

Now I think that most of the 'bits' that fell were from the end of her (now replaced) charger. However, the cigarette lighter doesn't heat-up any more?

I also think that a small spring has been lost down the back somewhere. We're not smokers, but need the lighter for sat nav.

Can anyone assist please? Do I need a straight swap for a new one, or do I need to replace a spring or fuse? The actual push-in bit certainly doesn't feel right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There's probably a part of the old charger stuck in if it doesn't feel right, and the fuse has probably blown with small metal parts bouncing about inside it, there should be three missing parts, the fuse, the spring, and the metal screw in cap that holds the fuse and spring inside the charger.

The actual socket itself doesn't have any moving parts, it's literally just a positive contact and the end, and an earth all around so if you can't see anything inside it, change the fuse and it'll be fine.

I once dropped a 5 pence piece into mine when I had the Mondeo ST as it's right in the middle of the centre console, popped the fuse instantly leaving me without nav just when I needed it!

Edited by Tipex

I'll take a look later. Is the fuse a clear glass one?

I've also just tried swapping back one to the front and that doesn't work either!

So it's likely that the fuse may well have blown.

I was very confused as to where this 'glass' fuse came from as it was in the hole for the lighter!? What are these lighters made up of - Basically a spring and that's it I would have thought.

The glass fuse has come out of the charger for your navigation device, it's not part of the car, there should be no parts in the lighter socket, it should be an empty metal hole.

The fuse for it will be a blade fuse, two pieces of metal with a plastic top and a thin slither of metal inside the plastic joining the two metal 'blades' together, if the thin slither is broken, the fuse has blown and should be replaced with one of the same rating.